Help with timing chain gear removal AMC 360 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help with timing chain gear removal AMC 360

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
havrda
1984 CJ7 

Help with timing chain gear removal AMC 360

Can anyone tell me how to remove the timing chain gear that is connected to the camshaft? I have removed the bolt already. I have searched around for this but can not find the answer anywhere. The TS manual I found just says to remove it without any explanation of how to remove it.

havrda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
matt1980
1980 CJ5 

I am at the exact same place with my 304. Probably looking at the same manual you are. No explanation at all. I plan to gently attempt a slide hammer tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it works out. I am replacing the timing set and cam but hope to re use the gear we are trying to remove. Plan to continue to look thru you tube and forum articles and if I find something helpful I will let you know, good luck.
matt1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

With a rubber hammer, try tapping it back just a bit to break it loose. Its just sitting on the shaft. If that does not work, get a 2 or 3 jaw puller and slide it off the shaft.

Not an AMC engine, but you get the idea.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I guess I was lucky. I just wiggled it a little and it slide right off.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would use a gear puller . I would be careful about using a mallet as you might just drive the cam back enough to knock the cam bore plug loose at the back end of the block.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Like I said, just tap it and break it loose. You're not going to drive the cam out of the back of the block by doing that.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
matt1980
1980 CJ5 

Thank you very much for the info, got it off, you all were right, it was just stuck a little, once it moved with the puller it slid right off.
matt1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.