Help!! - Team Rush Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help!! - Team Rush Upgrade

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
akdanny
1981 CJ7 

Help!! - Team Rush Upgrade

I am running to this forum for your valuable information!!
I saw the team rush upgrade and am trying to do it .
Ok, 81 CJ7 258 auto.
One year ago I did the Howell tbi conversion (so there was some wiring)
Now a MSD 6a and the Blaster 2 and misc.
I am confused, I was told to totally disconect both plugs from my Duraspark. One plug has 4 wires, and the other has two a big red power and a blue. The blue goes to my starter selenoid. Don't I need that still connected?
Before I had 2 reds going to my pos coil, a big hot one and a little one to the starter selenoid. I was told to connect those two wires to the small red from the msd box, I did. All eles is right two to the dist, and two to the coil. I checked and have spark. I do not know, but it seems like other unpluged wires should still be connected, the blue one. I checked for fuel, When I turn on the key it primes. Should it keep pumping the gas while cranking?

Wont start guys, Please help me.
Dan

akdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

You need to talk to JeepHammer. He's the creator of TeamRush, and quite the expert on ignition/timing/etc.
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Lawless is right JeepHammer is the guy...

I have your set up now on 1978, so similar, because you do not have the computer either. The DuraSpark gets it ground from the Distributor Connection as well as the low level reluctor signal to says to fire the spark.

What I did was disconnect the Distributor Connection and connect the MultiSpark CDI ignition there. I also had to disconnect a AUX GROUND WIRE I added to the DuraSpark Modual. If you take away the ground (in my case both grounds) the DuraSpark cannot fire and does not power, Needs + & - . I hooked the CDI directly to the battery and then connected the small turn on wire to the switched tap on the starter solenoid. The distributor then hooks up to the signal input of the CDI. The last part is to disconnect the coil wire clip and hook up the CDI coil wire with any adapter needed.

I mounted the CDI on the passenger fender because the battery, starter solenoid, distributor, coil are all right there. Short wire runs and worked out well. CDI on top of fender is high and dry there mounted on rubber feet.

Some of the reasons I did this the DuraSpark connectors stay together this way, less likely to get corroded since mated, sealed, & not have dielectric grease on them. The old connectors get brittle so be gentle with them. The stock jeep harness stays stock. When you sell the CJ hook the DuraSpark back up and take out the CDI for the next project. The CDI gets hooked up with almost all new wires and connectors or atleast verified connectons.

The low level signals from the distributor reluctor / magnet system wires need to be twisted 2 to 3 turns per inch and run by themselves along the jeep body or fender as shield. Do not run them // parallel to any wires especially switched wires like the coil power ones. Switched HVoltage wires will raise heck with the lower level signals by inducing currents of their own..

What I did was look at the distributor input connector and when I was at the U Pull Junk yard I got one of these mateing pieces to mate up with the distributor out of an old FORD. Draw the shape and flat pins on piece of paper and take with you. I then spliced this onto the CDI signal wires using the connector supplied or just splice in solder& heatshrink. Worked great and free since I did this at the same time picking up my Ford E Coil/bracket/connector&pigtail. Total $4

Since we do not have a computer this will work.... for the guys that have the computer not sure if this would still be true. More might need to be disconnected.

I left all the Jeep Harness Whole and can just unplug the CDI and plug the coil, distributor signal connector, and the aux ground to DuraSpark modual and it will run. I taped off the connectors or put them in a film container with slit in top to protect them. Also hit them with dielectric grease to help them work and protect from corrosion.

THE LAST PART OF THE PUZZLE
You have Howel TBI and not sure how that is powered and turned on off to fire pulze or what not. This has to be powered like the Ignition. I think this is alway on when running just like a carb would be. So it could just be turned on via igntion switch or similar.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
akdanny
1981 CJ7 

Conclusion to Help- Team rush

OK I was a dummy. Originally Summit included the 8910 tach adapter, then I found out I should use the 8920, but I don't have it yet and thought "its just a tach, I don't need it to start" well that was dumb. That white wire that went to the coil for tach, is really what makes the Howell (box) work. So I just ordered the tach filter from Howell to inclued with the 8920 from MSD. This should solve everything. thanks
akdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
cincyjeeprs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdanny View Post
OK I was a dummy. Originally Summit included the 8910 tach adapter, then I found out I should use the 8920, but I don't have it yet and thought "its just a tach, I don't need it to start" well that was dumb. That white wire that went to the coil for tach, is really what makes the Howell (box) work. So I just ordered the tach filter from Howell to inclued with the 8920 from MSD. This should solve everything. thanks
The tach filter from Howell will replace the MSD 8920. Don't need both.
Are you my doppleganger? I just got off the phone with Howell about that very same subject. I ordered their tach filter to use with a MSD 6a. I also ordered the 6a from Summit today, so I have lots of shiny parts to figure out, too.
cincyjeeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I love my Motorcraft carburetor.

Cincyjeepers stop by and say hi
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum/

Right in your area.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.