Help with Selling Project 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help with Selling Project 23

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Help with Selling Project 23

So, I've had time to really think about this and I think its the right thing to do. Besides, I'm not really engaged with Project 23 anymore since I've pretty much wrapped up putting time and money into it.
So, I've put together a basic list of parts and work done to the Jeep since I've owned it. I wanted to get your input on a possible starting price so I can post it For Sale. Hard to believe that I'm considering selling it, but some things in life are more important. Plus I now have my 2014 JK
So what's your thoughts?

1985 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
Fresh Silver Paint (Professionally Sprayed Summer 2012)
Custom Renegade Decals (Black and Grey)
Monstaliner has been Applied to Interior of Tub (Black)
OEM Carpet- Black
Front Portion of Tub Floor has Dynamat Install (cut down on heat and road noise)
Original seats with CJ embossed on the front seats
Rear seat (Non Folding)
Tuffy Center Console with Stereo Insert
Locking Glove Compartment w/ Key
Overhead Sound Bar w/ Light
YJ Family Style Roll Bar w/ Spreader Bars to Windshield
Grant 13 Inch Steering Wheel
Upgraded Heater Motor and Coil (Blazer Upgrade)
Clock (Runs Slow)
Tach
OEM Dash Pad
OEM Lighter
OEM Ashtray
Aluminum Dash and Steering Column Covers
Wiper Switch (Installed Summer 2013)
Alpine Head Unit (Disc, Bluetooth, Aux, Pandora, 3 RCA Outputs)
Kicker 5 Channel Amp
Infinity Reference Speakers (Dash and Sound Bar)
Kicker 8 Inch Down Firing Subs Behind Rear Seat (2 Subs)
Duralast Battery (Installed Fall 2013)
Documented rebuilt 258 6 cylinder! I have the receipt for $2800 for the work done.
Alumicoated Header
T5 Transmission (Installed summer 2013)
Dana 300 T Case.
New Starter (Installed Fall 2013)
Rancho 9000 Shocks
HD Shackles with Shackle Reverse for Better Handling
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Superlift Springs
Superwinch Front Hubs (Installed Summer 2013)
5 Matching OEM Chrome Wagon Wheels
5 Matching BFG AT’s 31x10.5x15 (Installed Fall 2013)
Kentrol Stainless Front Bumper
Kentrol Stainless Steel Windshield Hinges
Kentrol Stainless Steel Hood Latches
Kentrol Stainless Steel Mirrors
Kentrol Stainless Steel Spare Tire Stop
Kentrol Stainless Steel Tailgate Hinges
Kentrol Stainless Steel Grill Overlay
Kentrol Stainless Steel Passenger Grab Handle
OEM Side Steps
Bestop Sunrider Soft Top
Bestop 2 Piece Doors
Bestop 1 Piece Doors
Bestop Bikini Top (Strapless)
Dirtwork Rear Swing Away Bumper
TJ Rear License Plate Holder
Flush Mounted Round Tail Lights
20 Gallon Fuel Tank
Holley Carb (Installed Summer 2013)
Tuffy Hood Lock
Tuffy Hard Door Locks
Under Dash Lights (Need to be Hooked up)
One piece rear axle upgrade
Model 20 Rear Differential has been Gusseted to Prevent Bending
Electric Radiator Fan

Issues or Problems:
Floorboard under the front roll bar mounts need to be replaced. Approx an area of 8 inches by 8 inches. I have a temporary patch installed.
Fuel Gauge not working (Ground Issue)
Temp Gauge not working
License Plate Light Needs to be Hooked Up
No Backup Lights
Turn Signal Cancellation Switch not Working (Have to manually turn off blinkers)

jeep.jpg

Unread 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Plus I now have my 2014 JK
So what's your thoughts?
BANISH HIM! BLASPHEMY!

Unfortunately you won't get out of it what you put into it, but I think you already know that.
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

LOL, had to throw that in there

I know there's no possible way that i'll get what I put into it. Just my time spent is something I'll never see a return on. Just looking for thoughts and suggestions for pricing...
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I'd take her off your hands in a heartbeat but all I have to offer is good looks and charm... and that's debatable

Shawn
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Are you sure you're ready to sell?

I know how life gets in the way sometimes. I got my '86, 15 years ago. Had to set her aside several times. I also thought of selling;sometimes. But after having ridden out life's challenges....I won in the end; and I'm so glad I never gave up.

Just a piece of my story. Don't know what's happening in yours but wish you the best,even if you do sell. .....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Steve if you do sell it you'll likely take it on the chin. Not that's it's fair but we've all seen this play out before. I'd say if you could get over 10K and wanted to sell you'd better. Nice CJ so you should get plenty of interest.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I'll send ALL my friends your way. A lot of the guys at my parolee meetings love CJ's. I've got a load of Meth heading out your way, so they could just swing by for a test ride. MOST of them are harmless & like doing business late at night. Plus the stripper/hooker circuit rolls thru both our towns on a regular basis, so you might get a little bone-us on the side.
BTW, what's my commission if I sell it for you? Rather than have a pro just steal it? I keed. I'd never steal a mans CJ. Evah!
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I agree with Jim about getting over 10k. Here in NJ I would say about 12k for Project 23. Have you been able to get prices for Craigslist on Jeeps in your area?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
wm69

Man I hate to see you sell it after all the work you've put into it.

Around here that's probably a 10K Jeep. I know you have a lot more in it, and if it makes you feel any better it's a lot nicer than either of my Jeeps, and when I started figuring up what I have in my tan CJ I stopped in the upper 20's (a lot of that was replacing parts I broke when I was young and dumb).

I still say you should sell it to your nephew. Keep that thing in the family. It's the only way you'll ever receive anything (even if it's just respect from a family member) for the time and effort you put into it.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

When I sold my '66 Gran Sport convertible, I got what I had into the engine (401 dual quad) alone. The car was a freebie w/new paint, interior, top, trans, rear, console tach (super rare) etc...And back then I had to drive from Scranton to Niagra Falls (500 mi roundtrip) for a nice fender thru Hemmings. No interwebs back in the mid '80s. But I had no storage when I finished it, had just gotten married and transferred, and the Mrs. wanted a cooler boat. It got a good home. I happened to drive by it last spring and it was outside getting a bath. I reminded the owner of our deal that I get the right of 1st refusal, should he sell. He even suggested I bring my boys over for pictures! Which I did. My youngest, 10, said "Dad, you always drive something neat, but this is really super cool.....can we get another 1 of these"? Hence I resurrected the CJ. With a hint of street racer thrown in!
If it's the Old Lady pushing the sale, I know a guy. Just sayin' is all.
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
thomasbruns1
Just Empty Every Pocket

1981 CJ7 

I recently purchases a 2014 Rubicon, so I understand.

You probably have 20K into it, so why sell it? If you need the money, I totally understand. Gotta do what you gotta do. You will be lucky to get 10K from someone and its just going to make you mad when they start pointing out the little things. I have bought and sold three and lost money on each, but had fun doing it. Its a really nice looking CJ with the big stuff done. Fix the turn signal issue and the grounds and drive it.

I have an 81 with about 7K into it and it looks like crap, but mechanically and electrically great....now. Looking at it, I couldn't get close to what I have into it.

My opinion. BTW..Its a great looking CJ. I would be proud to drive it.
thomasbruns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Over the last few weeks I've thought hard about this. Yes, I've put some blood, seat and tears into this beast, but I think having something my heart is no longer into just doesn't work. Sure it comes out of the garage to cruise around, but there's somethng else that's tickling my fancy right now that I'd rather have.
I'm looking at the possibilities of trading it for a nice Bass boat. I got back into fishing about two years ago and that's where my heart is. Plus we have a condo on Lake Erie which has a boat dock, but nothing to fill that spot. I'm tired of shore fishing and the kayak just isn't cutting it any longer. I need something to get me where the lunkers hang out and something that allows me the freedom to fish spots that I can't get to right now.
Am I crazy for considering a trade? The boat will have to be something newer and it will be check throughly by the local marina. I want something turn key as I don't want or need another project.
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Probably get your best trade deal in the late fall when boats are coming out of the water, and people are thinking it's time for a 4 wheel drive...

I had a 22' boat on Lake Erie (rack and launch marina) for five or so years back in the 90's. IMHO, you don't want a bass boat out there. If you're looking for a decent all around fishing boat, try and deal for a center console 22'-25' with a 150 hp or more outboard. If it's also got a 5-15 hp 'kicker' outboard for trolling, that would be great.
Unread 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

The two happiest days in a boat-owner's life. The day he buys it. The day he sells it.
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

Break
Out
Another
Thousand $$$
TexAg09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.