HELP! Replaced Radiator and Thermo, now engine smoking! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HELP! Replaced Radiator and Thermo, now engine smoking!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

HELP! Replaced Radiator and Thermo, now engine smoking!

Hey all. Just replaced my leaking radiator and hoses. I also found that the prior owner had taken out the thermostat. I put in a new thermostat (190 degree) and gasket. Flushed the system with distilled water. Refilled with new coolant/water.

I started it and was letting it run to circulate the coolant/water. After about 5 minutes it started squealing. Couldn't tell where the sound was coming from, but it didn't sound like the fan/steering belts. I shut it off and it was smoking.

Side note, it leaks oil- not a lot but some. I (dumbly) just added half a quart of oil without first checking the dipstick. After the squealing and me shutting off the engine, I opened the oil fill knob and smoke came out (some, not a ton).

1. What could the squealing be?
2. Could the smoke be from over filling with oil?

I don't want to run it right now. The temp gauge on the inside doesn't work, so I have no way to know if the engine was overheating.

Thoughts???

1985 CJ7 with 4.2L 258.

AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Now that I think of it, I definitely overfilled the oil because I added one quart over 2 days without even checking the dipstick (idiot!)

But does that cause smoking and squealing??
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
CSP

Where is the smoke coming from? Since it happens when you shut it off I assume it's not coming out of the tailpipe when it's running.

The squealing could be anything really. A bad bearing in the alternator or water pump or even just a belt contaminated with coolant.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

No smoke from the tailpipe. Smoke is coming from this random hole from the manifold (I just got this jeep last week, so I'm a newbie). I'm assuming that hole is supposed to have a hose going somewhere. See the center of this photo. It definitely smells like something may be burning, though it could be the old rusty coolant that spilled on top of the manifold burning off. It's on the driver side (see power steering on right for reference point).

Update- started it again and let it run for 10 minute. No squealing, but still a little smoke and burning smell from that same spot.
2013-03-01_16-45-00_356.jpg  
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

That random hole should have a hose on it running to the air cleaner. Can't see if you have an OEM air cleaner, but in any case that just takes hot air from around your exhaust manifold to feed the air intake on cold start ups. It's not actually coming from anywhere but around the exhaust. Smoke coming out of it could be a hole in your exhaust manifold, or something spilled around there - like coolant.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
CSP

Sounds like steam, not smoke. Anything you spill on the engine will burn off if you don't wipe it clean.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys. Had to go out of town, so I'm going to give it another try Sunday night.
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
johnlaw484
1975 CJ5 

I'm betting the squealing is from antifreeze spilled on the belts when changing or adding the antifreeze.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
chooster5000
1981 CJ7 

Yeah antifreeze on belts makes one hell of a noise. I looked at a 98 Cherokee that had antizreeze dripping on the belt and it's was pretty loud. The guy said it needed a new belt, so he put wd40 on it to quiet it lol, I laughed when he did that
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

first thing i would do is fix the temp gauge,
even if you have to set the new gauge under the hood (temporary), at least this would let you know that you are not letting the motor get too hot.

remember: running a motor without oil is the fastest way to ruin a good motor, letting a motor get hot is the second fastest way to ruin a good motor.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the additional feedback.

The good news is that it made the 25 mile trek home today from my friend's house. No smoking, no squealing. Yes- temp gauge is on my short list. Though oddly enough, for about 20 seconds while pulling out of the driveway, the needle registered then it went back down to C. Not sure why. I have owned it for 2 weeks and hadn't seen any activity on that needle so far.

Added bonus- adding the thermostat made the heater start working. Was nice to have on a 40 degree day!
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

You may just need a new temperature sensor. Mine wouldn't register when I bought it, picked up a new temp sensor and all is well. Alternatively, the temp gauge is burned out. To test - ground the temp sensor on the frame, temporarily, and watch if the needle pegs out. Do it for too long and you're sure to burn it out, so sit in the cab while a helper grounds.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Good advice. I'll pick up a new temp sensor this week. Anyone have a pic of where the sensor is?
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
chooster5000
1981 CJ7 

Well mines on the back of the head next to the valve cover, or just above the water neck from my experience idk if it changed from a 79 engine
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Back driver's side of the block, next to the valve cover as Chooster said. Should have one wire running off of it. You WILL leak a little more antifreeze replacing it.

Tags
oil , radiator , smoke , smoking , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.