help re-connecting OEM sway bar link? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > help re-connecting OEM sway bar link?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
roscopcoltrane
1984 CJ7 

help re-connecting OEM sway bar link?

Forgive my ignorance here. I think I know the answer but seek confirmation.

I'm going through a recently purchased 84 Laredo. It's a daily driver and sees occasional highway miles. As such, I am looking to re-connect the sway bar. It is currently sitting in place, along with the links, and what looks like new bushings.

1) I've got to remove the top bolt on the links to re-connect them, correct? Both ends attach at the same time? Is there any way around this? I assume not.

2) To remove the top bolt, I've got to use a pickle fork, effectively destroying the existing bushing unless I'm missing something. At this point, it would be foolish to not simply slap on some disconnects, correct?

I'd like to just use what I have until they break. This seemingly extremely simple task is driving me nuts. Thanks for any help!

Here's the new toy:

roscopcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To explain exactly what your doing could you provide pictures of whats on your current setup?
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Sounds as if all the hardware is there, you just need to reconnect it. Have someone help you. Often times having them either sit on the bumper or slightly lift it will allow you to align the link to the stud. Do one side, then go to the other side and pull on the sway bar. It will slide your way a little bit. Get the link lined up and pull out on it slightly. Bounce the Jeep up and down to get the height correct and slide it on. Put the nut on the studs and call it a day.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

If I'm reading it right, the sway bar links are there and hanging from the top "hat" pin and not connected to the bottom spring plate pin.....Correct? And due to the new bushings, you can't swing them out to the side enough to clear the end of the bottom pin to slide them on...Correct?
Do not use a pickle fork. All you will do is booger everything up and still not remove them. Remove the nut on the upper hat pin and use a tie rod remover tool to pop or push it out. You really need this tool. http://www.amazon.com/OEM-27022-Tie-.../dp/B004FEPCFA
There is another way, but it involves supporting the frame, lowering the front axle, removing the spring plate, sliding it onto the link, and swinging it back under and reattach the U bolts.....just use the tool.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

And IF you want to disconnect them from time to time, but don't want to have loose or rattling quick dis-connects, I have a write up, but due to the"confusing" pictures OR folks not familiar with the later CJ stock set-up....several fokes didn't get it.....oh well
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...te-up-1463921/

Unread 09-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I took the sway bar completely off the CJ. Don't need it if you drive it like a Jeep.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
roscopcoltrane
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
If I'm reading it right, the sway bar links are there and hanging from the top "hat" pin and not connected to the bottom spring plate pin.....Correct? And due to the new bushings, you can't swing them out to the side enough to clear the end of the bottom pin to slide them on...Correct?
Do not use a pickle fork. All you will do is booger everything up and still not remove them. Remove the nut on the upper hat pin and use a tie rod remover tool to pop or push it out. You really need this tool. http://www.amazon.com/OEM-27022-Tie-.../dp/B004FEPCFA
There is another way, but it involves supporting the frame, lowering the front axle, removing the spring plate, sliding it onto the link, and swinging it back under and reattach the U bolts.....just use the tool.
Precisely. I appreciate your assistance AND your witty sarcasm.
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

In the past, I've used a big C-clamp and socket as a make-shift press to drive those things out of the sway bar.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
roscopcoltrane
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the help. I assume tightening the bolt when re-installing them will seat the bolt sufficiently? I had to come to a hot stop from about 55 this morning. Thought I was going end over end. I WILL rectify this tonight!
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yes, clean the threads in a wire wheel so the nut spins on and it should pull in, seat, and tighten without the pin spinning in the swaybar end.

Unread 09-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Use a little silicone grease between all the bushings and the bolts. It'll go on smoother, work smoother, and be easier to get back off in the future.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopcoltrane View Post
Thanks for the help. I assume tightening the bolt when re-installing them will seat the bolt sufficiently? I had to come to a hot stop from about 55 this morning. Thought I was going end over end. I WILL rectify this tonight!

A disconnected sway bar shouldn't cause something that dramatic. I think you have something else going on under there.

Give us some more info on your CJ - lift (body or spring), tires, shackles, axles, etc.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
roscopcoltrane
1984 CJ7 

Mission accomplished with the help of the ball joint separator and you fine folks. Thanks again!

@walkerhound: It was a REAL hard stop. The nose dipped hard to the driver side...it was alarming but maybe not as bad as I let on. My suspension and everything is stock. 31" tires. I intentionally hard stopped after connecting the sway bar and she held true and straight while braking.
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Gotcha - I misunderstood. I read it as you had to come to a hot stop because you were about to go *** over tea kettle. Not the other way 'round
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.