Help please/84 CJ Laredo w/fuel injection??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help please/84 CJ Laredo w/fuel injection???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
hmjs

Help please/84 CJ Laredo w/fuel injection???

Been looking for a CJ for a while and just found a 84 CJ Laredo with fuel injection. Anyone know anything about the 4.2 having this?
This is a Florida CJ, one owner w/hardtop, doors A/C in fair condition but needs floor pans replaced, frame looks good. How much would it cost to have the floor pans redone? Any other info is appreciated. CJ being sold by a second part for the elderly owner. Asking $4900.

Howard

hmjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
CSP

Any EFI on a CJ 4.2 is aftermarket or put together by a previous owner.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
hmjs

I figured it had to be aftermarket. Does anyone know what company made EFI for the 258 and how and if it helps?

Howard
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

If it's a throttle body system, it is probably a Howell kit. However, the previous owner could have used junkyard parts and did it himself.

If it's multiport, Mopar makes a kit for the 4.2L, but some owners swap the 4.0L head, intake, sensors, and wiring harness.

You'll need to ask some more questions and take pictures.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Beach-Head
1986 CJ7 

any picks of the jeep for sale? and what part of florida? 4900 could be a great price

I've got no clue what I'm doing but I'm learning one busted knuckle at a time.
Beach-Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
hmjs

The CJ is in St. Pete. I didn't take any pics yet. I just saw it yesterday and am going out of town for a week today. If it's still there next week I'll get some pics and look it over a little harder.
84 CJ's did have a wide track axles, didn't they?
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Full Tank
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmjs View Post

Yes they do.

1986 CJ7
Dana 30--AMC20--D300--T5--2.5L
Full Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmjs View Post
The CJ is in St. Pete. I didn't take any pics yet. I just saw it yesterday and am going out of town for a week today. If it's still there next week I'll get some pics and look it over a little harder.

I might be able to look at it for you Saturday. I'm heading over that way for a Jeep club picnic.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
Unread 11-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
hmjs

Mike if your in the area and want to take a look that would be great. It's at a car lot on consignment on 54th. Ave. N. around 62nd St N., I think, maybe a few blocks further east. North side of road across from a Sunoco Food Mart.
If you get by there let me know what you think, I'll monitor the site while away.
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I think I'll head over there tomorrow morning. I'll take a look and some pics of the usual rust areas, condition of the suspension, etc.

I'll also see what kind of fuel injection it has.

Unread 11-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

4900 for one without floor board is not a good price, but typical of use car lot
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

OK... I got a good look at it this morning and took a few pictures.

1) It's in overall good condition... very little rust except for some unusual places
2) It has the Mopar MPI kit and Borla header installed . It starts easily and runs smoothly, although it smells a little rich.
3) The frame is in great shape... I checked the usual rusty spots (no rust at either rear shackle hangers or front shock mounts).
4) Although there's not much rust, the driver's floor board is rotted through.
5) Windshield frame is rusty at the base will need work.
6) Nearly new tires.
7) The paint is weather worn and it will need painted
8) It has the Laredo extras on the inside...

The body rust is in unusual spots like the driver's floor, bottom lip of the hood (under the "A" in Laredo on the passenger side), and tub behind the battery. My guess is corrosives like battery acid or salt pooled in those areas.

Would I buy it... sure, but I wouldn't pay more than $4K.
p1010044.jpg   p1010052.jpg   p1010053.jpg  

Unread 12-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
hmjs

Thanks for checking out the CJ Mike really appreciate the expert opinion. Just got back from a cruise today and I think I'll go by tomorrow to see how low they will go.

Howard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.