Help please!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help please!!!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-22-2002, 02:54 PM   #1
merch_boy

Help please!!!

I have a 83 CJ7. It sat for about a year while I saved money to get tranny fixed. Ran it for a few weeks no problems. Now, it stalls on me. I can drive it for a few mins, then when I pull up to a stop sign it dies. Or it will just jerk really hard. Have no clue what this could be. Thanks!!
p.s. I have replaced the fuel pump, and fuel filter.

merch_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2002, 11:05 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Might try rebuilding the carb. Its possable that after sitting for so long ugly things could have crawled in there and are now wedged in the various fuel delivery circuits.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2002, 06:15 AM   #3
merch_boy

I have ben thinking about that. Thanks. I wil order the kit today.
merch_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

When you pull the carb apart, see if it is really dirty or has any bits of rust in it. Water or other junk might have got into the tank with it sitting for a year (especially if it was outside). You might have enough crud or rust in the tank now to keep plugging up filters. Good luck.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
K5QM

YOU MIGHT TRY A CAN OF DRY GAS OR A PINT OF ALCOHOL IN THE TANK BEFORE DISASSEMBLY. JEEPS ARE PRONE TO COLLECT MOISTURE IN THE TANKS THAT SET FOR A YEAR OR SO.
JERRY
k5qm@arrl.net
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2002, 06:56 PM   #6
werewolf7111

before spending money "guessing" look at the fuel and ignition system ( i agree- its probably carb related but when its money- its better to measure twice and cut once)

Joe MSME PE
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2002, 10:58 PM   #7
Crash&Burn

I'd put 3 or 4 jugs of HEET in it and drive it some, before I try anything else.......

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2002, 02:31 PM   #8
livin2learn

I would take the Carter BBD off and hit it with a big hammer....then throw it in the trash.
After that I would go and buy a Weber or a Motorcraft 2100.
Whichever suits your budget
Odds are the problem is your Carter. You can rebuild it, but take notes, because you'll be doing it again in 3 to 6 months.
Seriously though, you should start saving for a new carb. After I put a Weber on mine, it has been runnin gbetter than ever. Well worth the $300.
Good luck.
Unread 12-13-2002, 04:53 PM   #9
MR.CJ-7

I'll second that motorcraft 2100. Can't say enough good about it. Never gives me any crap when rockcrawling.
Unread 12-13-2002, 09:56 PM   #10
rustyCJ

Re: Help please!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by merch_boy
I have a 83 CJ7. It sat for about a year while I saved money to get tranny fixed. Ran it for a few weeks no problems. Now, it stalls on me. I can drive it for a few mins, then when I pull up to a stop sign it dies. Or it will just jerk really hard. Have no clue what this could be. Thanks!!
p.s. I have replaced the fuel pump, and fuel filter.
auto or manual tranny? manual or power brakes? when you first start it does it idle good, after its warmed up how does it idle? what do you mean jerk really hard, jerk and then die like killing it with the clutch? granted the carter needs a lot of attention to keep it running but its hard to blame it for every problem with the way a jeep runs. this is a jeep that sat for a year then had a fixed? tranny. it could be a lot of things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.