Help overheating issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help overheating issues

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Deeznutz73
1973 CJ5 

Oh I also forgot to mention that when I ordered new gauges from Morris 4x4 and installed them, the posts will make the leads ground out to the instrument cluster when tightened down. Might be something to check. I used a layer of hot glue to create a barrier between the post and the instrument cluster.

Unread 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
g8ter55
1983 CJ7 

Ok I have some updates! I measured the temp sensor cold or at ambient which here in good ole NY was about 80 today and measured about 350 ohms- seemed normal. then I started the jeep and ran for 5-10 minutes with the radiator cap off, watched the water rise a little then the t-stat opened and coolant flowed very visually towards the upper rad hose. So, it isn't over heating but after the t-stat opened I waited another 5 mins then shot the block next to the sensor with my IR gun and saw about 220, not bad when stat is supposed to open at 195. Anyways I removed the wired again from the sensor and measured the sensor right after I shot the block. I measured 191 ohms and according to the charts you guys provided me it should be well under 100 ohms... So my gauge was pegged for 5 mins into running and the sensor isn't reading correctly either. Seems I have a few problems??? I still didnt check grounds and all that stuff but this was a good start. Thanks again for everyone's knowledge and willingness to help!
g8ter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

same issue

I'm having the same issue with my cj 5 I6 new radiator, and cap, flushed system of course before installed, and then again. so clean fluids, it circulates, and the top and bottom hose are hot, I was curious if I have the cap off, and the fluid reads 170 with a thermometer, but the gauge inside reads all the way hot, is it really over heating? It doesn't boil over or anything.
ChefPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

SWAG is your temp gauge is TU......
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

you're saying is not the water pump but just the gauge itself?
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Unless you have water driping out of the WP shaft or the bearing is make'n noise. No.
Do you have a fan clutch on the WP?
Do you have a shroud for the rad.fan?
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

there hasn't been a fan shroud on it since I've owned it I never had overheating problems and mine doesn't function with the fan clutch at all its just straight up fan coming out of the engine and its not boiling over anything and the fluid is hundred seventy degrees even if the temperature gaugeis all the way in the red so if that's the case then its just my temperature gauge I'm not running hot after all right?
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Sounds to me like its the gauge or sending unit for the gauge. Go mechanical and never look back.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
ChefPatrick
1980 CJ5 

replaced the sending unit. all original gauges the gas gauge doesn't work neither does the speedometer so I wouldn't be surprised if its just the gauge . I'm not boiling over and when I use a thermometer inside radiator with the fluid it showing hundred seventy degrees I assume I have nothing to worry about driving it correct?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.