Help.. No tailights, signals, fuel gauge, - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help.. No tailights, signals, fuel gauge,

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
wml001
1979 CJ7 

Help.. No tailights, signals, fuel gauge,

I have a 1979 Cj7, the lights in the rear arent functioning, they bulbs are new, the housing etc is all new. The CJ, runs fine all electrical in engine bay is fine, I have a 302 in it, but nothing electrical beyond firewall working. Anyone have any ideas?

wml001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Dash light work?
Brake lights work? Turn signal Work?

need mo info..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Bad grounds. Where is last place in the circuit do you have voltage?
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
wml001
1979 CJ7 

No ligts in the dash are on, and I have no accesories. No turn signals, hazard works only in rear driverside light, running light/license plate light work when the right blinker is switched on. I tried running a ground directly from the batter to the only ground I could find from this harness, still nothing at the passenger side. The tailights are newer style, the type that ground within the unit, however there is a ground at the end of the wiring harness on the passenger side, I removed cleaned and sanded the ground still nothing. Also
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wml001 View Post
No ligts in the dash are on, and I have no accesories. No turn signals, hazard works only in rear driverside light, running light/license plate light work when the right blinker is switched on. I tried running a ground directly from the batter to the only ground I could find from this harness, still nothing at the passenger side. The tailights are newer style, the type that ground within the unit, however there is a ground at the end of the wiring harness on the passenger side, I removed cleaned and sanded the ground still nothing. Also

I think the ground you found is only for the marker light. It wouldn't help you for the ground you probably need. There are no ground in the OEM harness. And all your troubles do sound like a grounding problem. Almost sounds as if the battery (-) is not grounded to the tub. If it's a steel tub then a wire from the battery to the tub is needed and if it's fiber glass then you will have to find the common grounding point and make sure it's connected to the to the battery.

Do you have a steel or fiberglass tub?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
wml001
1979 CJ7 

I have a steel tub, I just find it odd, because the front headlights work, everything within the engine compartment works, and the windshield wipers randomly started working. I will follow the ground from the battery and see where it goes, and let you know. Thanks
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
wml001
1979 CJ7 

The ground from the battery, goes directly to the top of the engine manifold. Update, I now have turn signals in the rear, I re-wired everything back there, still not locating any sort of ground

Last edited by wml001; 04-27-2013 at 02:01 PM..
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Stormpaw
1983 CJ7 

I would highly recommend checking out Jeephammer's post on dedicated grounds.

Basically, AMC was cheap and didn't install any dedicated grounds. Instead, they grounded everything to the body or chassis. However, steel isn't a great conductor to begin with. Add paint, rubber body mounts, and 35 years of corrosion and you are bound to have some electrical problems. Running a couple ground wires is pretty simple and, I am guessing, will probably eliminate the problems you are having.

I hope that helps.
Stormpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
wml001
1979 CJ7 

I took a look at it, I agree that there is something not grounding out properly.. I have break lights, turn signals and hazards now, still no running lights. I'm running out of ideas.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

do you have one of these?

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Jeep-...grams-1978.htm

come in handy in situations as the one you describe
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.