Help needed for a 258 distributor on tester. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help needed for a 258 distributor on tester.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can't get advance to read properly and was hoping someone could shed a little light on my problem.
Tester is a Sun EDT-5001, the last distributor tester made by sun.

Some backstory: originally misread the manual and used the instructions for a different type of electronic distributor that said to mock up the whole system.
Used a nutter bypass schematic to make this.
1373334526261.jpg
After several hours of frustration and figuring out the ignition box needed power as well (oops) I got everything running mostly.

Was so very fun to play with and watching the sparks was great except I couldn't figure out how to hook up and read advance since the lead it said to connect to the coil had 12 volts running to it so it would override the coil.

Finally closely read the instructions again and discovered seperate instructions that said for ones with a magnetic pickup all you need to do is hook up these 2 leads to the pickup like this.
1373335324076.jpg

After yelling at myself for not reading closer I hooked up the two leads and now it somewhat works.

My problem now is that with the distributor spinning the advance gauge shoots all the way to the right most of the time.
Bottom left gauge is advance.
1373335349994.jpg

Twisting the distributor in the clamp will change what the gauge shows depending on where I twist it to.
By fiddling with it with it spinning at 250 rpm (500 engine rpm which I think should have zero mechanical advance) I can get it to show zero advance for a couple seconds before it starts slowly creeping torwards the right edge.
One time I was able to get it to show the correct advance without jumping up but I bumped it a little and haven't been able to find a sweet spot again and would rather have it work right.

Any ideas?
Cleaned the flange of the distributor and it is grounded to a grounding post.
Google is useless since all the stuff out there including the ones about duraspark systems is about the old testers like the old broken ex-military tester I have from the 60's and there is a apples and oranges difference between them and I couldn't find any issue like this out there anyways.

There is the possibility that one of the logic boards has a issue but I wanted to rule out the distributor first especially since I have a zero chance of finding replacement parts.

My knowledge of stuff like this is zero so I was hoping someone smarter than me would have a idea or two.

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also on a related note: I have a petronix flanethrower coil and oem amc coil.
Oem coil barely failed a resistance test while the flamethrower passed it.
Compared them hooked up and there is a night and day difference between the sparks on the spark gap thing.
The oem spark was so very weaker.
It was quite a eye opener.
You might not be able to feel the difference but your engine sure will.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

PM Jeephammer and see is he will bestow his distributor machine knowledge.

He has one or two of his own and knows how to use them.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
PM Jeephammer and see is he will bestow his distributor machine knowledge.

He has one or two of his own and knows how to use them.
Thanks.
He hasn't been on for months but I'll give it a shot and see if he'll answer.

And sorry for falling out of touch with you.
Was busy with a bunch of unexpected work and dealing with the incredible joy of cluster headaches the past couple months.

I need to get my boss to bring out his cj2a to work so I can fiddle with that and see what happens when a conventional (as the manual puts it) distributor is hooked up.

Anyone else have any ideas to throw out there on why the gauge just creeps over to the right?
Everything seems grounded properly.
I just don't know why both the needle does that and rotating the distributor to certain positions in the clamp makes the gauge read 0 for a second or two before it starts rising again.
The pickup in the distributor seems to be good or it passed resistance tests at least but I'm not sure if there is anything else to test in it that I don't know about.
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I'd sign up and post this at SpeedTalk. Bill Jones, et. al. will likely have you up and running in no time. I wish I could help but I can't.

Shawn
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by "

Was busy with a bunch of unexpected work and dealing with the incredible joy of cluster headaches the past couple months.

Did you go to the reading air show. The war birds flew over my house all weekend. The B17 flew low enough over my little town of Stouchsburg I saw people in the windows. Should have had my camera
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
I'd sign up and post this at SpeedTalk. Bill Jones, et. al. will likely have you up and running in no time. I wish I could help but I can't.

Shawn
Roger that, I'll do that as well.
So there is probably no chance of it being distributor related?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "

Did you go to the reading air show. The war birds flew over my house all weekend. The B17 flew low enough over my little town of Stouchsburg I saw people in the windows. Should have had my camera
Nope, minus going with my dad to fix some aircraft a year or two ago I haven't been to it in a while.
Only airshow I've gone to the past couple of years is thunder over the boardwalk and the only reason I can afford to go is because the bossman both flies in it and sponsors it so we get free hotel rooms and access to his tent on the beach.
Only reading related stuff that happened to us was this one lady storing her biplane at the bossmans hangar during the airshow and the Brat III staying at the hangar for almost week while we fixed some stuff on it.
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I bet you get your answer pretty quick. I'll bump it if it hits the bottom.

I hope you get those headaches straightened out. I fought that crap for 11 years.

Shawn
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

I am taking a medicine now that mostly controls them but I have to take it every 4 hours which is inconvenient.

They are also getting in the way of engine building since I have no urge to redo a bunch of math to determine whether or not I really have to remove 34.5 thousandth from the block to zero deck it.
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

So true. Meds + math =

I was on Imitrex at one point when I was trying to run jumbo drills underground and I thought I was going to die and even fell off the equipment a time or two. Then they wanted me to run the powder truck and blast the rounds I'd drilled earlier. The migraine was better than the "fix".

I was able to get temporary relief with chiropractic work on my neck, in case you haven't tried that yet.

Shawn
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So true. Meds + math =

I was on Imitrex at one point when I was trying to run jumbo drills underground and I thought I was going to die and even fell off the equipment a time or two. Then they wanted me to run the powder truck and blast the rounds I'd drilled earlier. The migraine was better than the "fix".

I was able to get temporary relief with chiropractic work on my neck, in case you haven't tried that yet.

Shawn
Unfortunately for me when something goes wrong with me it goes full blown wrong.
With my cluster headaches I get a searing pain in one eye and a headache centered around that eye from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep with very few exceptions.
Its very annoying.

Some tech related stuff.
1373585419378.jpg
Spark from the flamethrower coil at 2000 rpm (4000 engine speed)
Don't have a picture of the oem spark and can't right now since I grounded the tester but imagine the same thing, just a thinner spark and the spark had a red tinge to it.

And on a related note when I did all my math a couple months ago static compression ratio of late 258's was 9.17:1, I wanna say dcr was 7.9:1, used oem head gasket measured 0.025 thick around the cylinder.
New felpro measures 0.047 around cylinder which'll probably compress down to 45 or so.
Assuming jeepstrokers compression calculator was correct and I didn't screw up back then and still remember this properly merely changing the oem head gasket to a new felpro dropped dcr to 7.5-7.6 and quench went up to .050-060
Add that to new pistons being 0.015 shorter and I have all this stuff to make sure I calculate right so I don't end up with meh compression and poor quench or too much compression.
Probably not as hard as I'm making it out to be but its my first time doing something like this, I want to do it myself and do it right the first time round but at the same spending a bunch of time staring at paper or a computer screen calculating stuff is near impossible now.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Why are your pistons .150 inches shorter than stock dimensions?

Don't you also need to factor in the CC's of the combustion chamber to determine compression ratio.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why are your pistons .150 inches shorter than stock dimensions?

Don't you also need to factor in the CC's of the combustion chamber to determine compression ratio.
Oops forgot a zero.
0.015 shorter.
My '86 amc six cylinder overhaul manual has stock specs for everything including combustion chamber cc's.
Haven't gotten around to checking my head for chamber size but I have a overall basis to start from for estimates since my head and block should be the same.
And the stuff in my last post about compression and quench was mostly calculated based on the figures from the book with a few things from my parts thrown in.
Which is why I still need to calculate more stuff off my engine block before I make a final decision on how much to take off my block.
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Hey, did you delete your Speedtalk thread? I was going to PM Bill Jones and link it but I can't find it.

Shawn
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, did you delete your Speedtalk thread? I was going to PM Bill Jones and link it but I can't find it.

Shawn
Got shifted over to the shop equipment thread.
Did not see that subforum first time round.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.