Help need new gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help need new gears

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 11-19-2002, 10:07 AM   #1
B-Ray

Help need new gears

have a 1983 CJ7 with 2:73 gears running 35" tires. i want to go to 4:56 gears but am being told that i need all this other stuff to make it work. it is currently open differential. anyone with any exp on this please help. randys r&p along with others are quoting anywhere from 700 to 1500 dollars just for parts.

What all do i need to do this gear swap

1995 YJ 2.5L, Rustys 3.5" suspension lift, 1" BL, 1" shackles, Clarion CD player, JL Audio Amp, 2 10's, Tuffy Console, Hella Lights, Independent Offroad Cusyom front and rear bumpers, 32x11.50 Mastercraft M/T, Eagle Alloys,Custom air intake, Flat Fendered.
B-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:04 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

35's with 2.73... your 258 must be cryin' "Uncle!".
Regardless, here's what you need.

- (2) 4.10 ring and pinion set
- (2) Carriers.
- Pinion nuts, carrier shims, ring gear bolts...

The price you had quoted to you is a rip off... I could understand if the labor was involved as well. Make sure you didn't misunderstand what the guy was telling you.

1000+ for everything and labor sounds about right.
Unread 11-19-2002, 03:22 PM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I agree with the previous post, except go with the 4.56's or even 4.88's. I am running 4.56's in my CJ with a 3spd auto(no overdrive) and 33's I tach about 3400rpm at freeway speed. I am going to 35's next year and kind of wish I would have gone with the 4.88's. Assuming you still have the D30 front axle any 4.10 and up carrier from a D30 will work. I found one from a TJ and it went right in. In the rear I have the AMC 20. I had a 3.54 stock ratio so I didn't need a carrier change. You may be able to find a real cheap used carrier for the rear. My gear set was $130 for the front and $165 for the rear(if I remember right). I also bought a "master install kit" for both axles to get new seals and bearings(aprox $80/axle I think). I was able to do the labor myself so that was free to me. Good luck

Just my $0.02 worth

Last edited by MR.CJ-7; 11-19-2002 at 03:28 PM..
MR.CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2002, 07:53 PM   #4
TG CJ7

How hard is it to put gears in? I've got 2.73 gears in mine too. I also have a narrow track front and rear with 3.54's, laying in the barn. I'd like to those gears in my wide track axles. I have thought about taking them to a shop, but would really like to do it myself. Sounds like B-ray might be interested too.
Thanks
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:13 PM   #5
MR.CJ-7

Gears are quite difficult(in my opinion) to put in. There are many different tolerances and torques that have to "played" with to get a good fit. Lucky for me I have a family member who is a jeep mechanic and sets up many gear sets so he looked over my shoulder as I did it, otherwise I would have sent it off to the shop.
Unread 11-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

U running a 5 speed? If so, go with 4.56. One previous post is right about the prices on gears and go with the master install kit. The carriers are a little under $100 apiece. You will probably want to go with one piece axles for the AMC 20 too. That will set you back about $300. While you are in there, you may as will install a Detroit Softlocker or Traklock or something like that. What an off road difference.
Unread 11-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #7
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeep Daddy
U running a 5 speed? If so, go with 4.56. One previous post is right about the prices on gears and go with the master install kit. The carriers are a little under $100 apiece. You will probably want to go with one piece axles for the AMC 20 too. That will set you back about $300. While you are in there, you may as will install a Detroit Softlocker or Traklock or something like that. What an off road difference.
he forgot to mention the bank loan for all the parts: locker, one piece axles, carrier, R&Ps, etc. let alone the labor if you going to have someone else install it all. well unless you one of those jeepers with cash buring a hole in your pocket.
Unread 11-21-2002, 03:01 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Aren't some of the big mail order warehouses offering front and rear "package deals" ? I believe they start at like $399 for a front and rear R&P set with master install kit? They're probably cheap overseas gears but if set up correctly should last a good while. Another option is to watch eBay for used stuff. I picked up my front 3.73 gears and Lockright for my front D44 for $225 and my rear Detroit locker for $300. Also, Xmas is coming up, so I would watch all the mailorder places to start their Holiday Specials. Good luck!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 09:43 AM   #9
B-Ray

Here is what i have decided to do.

I am running a T4 tranny btw

Rear: 4.10 gears, one pc axles, ARB Locker I want the ability to turn off, master install kit
Front: 4.10 gears, new carrier, master install kit, no locker

I should be able to purchase all of theses parts for around 1250.00.

have I forgot anything?
1995 YJ 2.5L, Rustys 3.5" suspension lift, 1" BL, 1" shackles, Clarion CD player, JL Audio Amp, 2 10's, Tuffy Console, Hella Lights, Independent Offroad Cusyom front and rear bumpers, 32x11.50 Mastercraft M/T, Eagle Alloys,Custom air intake, Flat Fendered.
Unread 11-21-2002, 09:57 AM   #10
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think you should reconsider your choice of gear ratio. The 4.56 would be a better choice. I run 4.56 in my rig with 33's and it IS geared a little low for my choice of tire, but should I decide to move up to 35's, like you already have, it is the best choice.

You don't want to go back and do it all over again. I thought of the 4.10's as my first choice too, but thought, someday I may want to do some serious 4 wheelin. Since I see you have decided on a locker, you are thinking of serious 4 wheelin. Don't do it twice. Labor isn't cheep.

Also, did you remember to include the air compressor for your ARB? Your price seems a little low to include the air compressor. I found a package deal for gears, master install, ARB front and rear with compressor for $2110. That's everything but the one piece axles for $300. That adds up to $2410. This place has free shipping and if you live outside CA you won't pay tax. Another package deal is $1,709.95 that includes a rear ARB, compressor, gears, MIK, and front Detroit Power Loc. Still need axles.

When I add up all prices of the parts you said, it comes out to $1621. That's for package deal on R&P with install kits $429, ARB $627, Compressor with stuff it needs, $240, Carrier for front Dana 30 $55, and Axles $270.

Last edited by Jeep Daddy; 11-21-2002 at 10:17 AM..
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #11
MR.CJ-7

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeep Daddy
I think you should reconsider your choice of gear ratio. The 4.56 would be a better choice. I run 4.56 in my rig with 33's and it IS geared a little low for my choice of tire, but should I decide to move up to 35's, like you already have, it is the best choice.

You don't want to go back and do it all over again. I thought of the 4.10's as my first choice too, but thought, someday I may want to do some serious 4 wheelin. Since I see you have decided on a locker, you are thinking of serious 4 wheelin. Don't do it twice. Labor isn't cheep.
I second that motion

My $.02+Jeep Daddy's $.02=$.04 so were talkin serious cash here!

Good Luck
Unread 11-21-2002, 11:20 AM   #12
B-Ray

yeap you are correct. my math skills took a day off.
Unread 11-21-2002, 11:24 AM   #13
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I havn't read all of the posts but my question would be what is included in the package deal from Randy's?

Two ring and Pinion sets $300.00
Two lockers - Lock Rights - $500.00
Rebuild Kits - $100.00

If you need new carriers, I think you will, add on another $250 or more. If you go with Detroits or ARBs add on another $300 to $500.00.

All this plus shipping.

To upgrade both axles is not a cheap project, Randy's quote is not too far off.

Sorry bout dat, but dig deep for this one.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 04:53 PM   #14
duitinmud

blood,sweat and gears

E bay,found 1 piece axles(a deal) and if you need the rest give me a call(D30/AMC20 parts)holding on to the front axles for spares. But try E bay first before you blow some serious coin.It's not all that hard to do, best to drop the axles and do it on the bench or floor, instead of on your back. Lot's of info on the net about the subject. GL
duitinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.