Help: Need to identify what year CJ7 I have - JeepForum.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Torasourus

Cj Help: Need to identify what year CJ7 I have

I have a new (to me) jeep wrangler I purchased a few weeks ago. The vin # comes back as a Islander 1989 YJ which it obviously is not. I'd love to know what year CJ7 this is. I have had some people tell me it's a YJ chassis with a CJ body/frame. Other have said it's a CJ that someone threw YJ parts onto. I'm mostly interested in what year of CJ7 i am working with. Things I've noticed:

Everything about this Jeep other than the tailgate swinging out instead of down points to a 1976-1986 CJ. Big things I've noticed: 1. The steering wheel is an AMC Jeep steering wheel. AMC stopped production with wrangler in 1986. 2. The transfer case is in the same location as the CJ7s. It was reversed in the 1989 YJ. 3. Obviously the front is CJ. 4. The gas tank is opposite of where the 1989 YJ is and matches up to the CJ7 locations in many years.

Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg   image4.jpg   IMG_3551.jpg  

IMG_3744.jpg   IMG_3737.jpg  
muddypunk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

You have what it's legally titled and registered as.

That said, you have a YJ tub for sure. If you are running the VIN off the tag on the dash, then that is what it should come back as, as that is probably what the tub, tailgate, doors WS frame, seats, seat belts, and cage are from.

The next question is did they use the YJ frame as well, and swap the rest of the CJ parts onto it, or just simply swap the YJ tub onto a a CJ frame and running gear

What motor, trans, t-case and diffs do you have?

what does your title say?

Hoss

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."
post #3 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Torasourus

JoonHoss - how are you certain its a YJ tub?
post #4 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Torasourus

JonnHoss - I understand that the tailgates on the 1989YJ open side to side but did you notice the gas tank is on the opposite side?
post #5 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Torasourus

JoonHoss- 4.2L, AMC 258, 5 speed. Title matches the VIN. There are some major discrepancies on the mileage through the years though. Carfax had the mileage at 195K in 2005 and now it's at 140k. I'm wondering if they did a total swap and the previous owner didn't understand how VINs work.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torasourus View Post
JonnHoss - I understand that the tailgates on the 1989YJ open side to side but did you notice the gas tank is on the opposite side?
Look on the back side (inner fender) of where the YJ gas tank filler should be. My guess is they moved the opening and patched the stock YJ location. You will probably be able to see evidence of that on the back side.

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. - Albert Einstein
post #7 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 PM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
JoonHoss- 4.2L, AMC 258, 5 speed. Title matches the VIN. There are some major discrepancies on the mileage through the years though. Carfax had the mileage at 195K in 2005 and now it's at 140k. I'm wondering if they did a total swap and the previous owner didn't understand how VINs work.
I'm pretty sure Carfax adds a certain amount of miles every year a vehicle is registered based on national averages. If the vehicle isn't driven as much as that, it won't get corrected unless the title is changed over.

Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. - Albert Einstein
post #8 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I know because of all the parts I just listed that are YJ, along with your VIN confirmation. The YJ and title they used are from the YJ, which had 195K miles. The CJ running gear, along with the 'custom' dash and CJ speedo, we're installed after and from a different CJ, and thus the mileage disrecpency.

Your tail lights and reverse lights have been changed from stock, and as the Donk points out, your filler neck is likely just been swapped as well.

Hoss

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."
post #9 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Torasourus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonk View Post
I'm pretty sure Carfax adds a certain amount of miles every year a vehicle is registered based on national averages. If the vehicle isn't driven as much as that, it won't get corrected unless the title is changed over.
These were actual reported miles.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:48 PM
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

86 was the last year for CJs. 87 started YJs.
Chrysler bought AMC in 88. So, 87 was last full year of AMC.
You said tcase was on right side. So frame and front axle are CJ. Look at the frame in the right rear wheel well. The CJ VIN is stamped on the frame. Compare it to the title.
Torasourus likes this.

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.2, AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #11 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Torasourus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I know because of all the parts I just listed that are YJ, along with your VIN confirmation. The YJ and title they used are from the YJ, which had 195K miles. The CJ running gear, along with the 'custom' dash and CJ speedo, we're installed after and from a different CJ, and thus the mileage disrecpency.

Your tail lights and reverse lights have been changed from stock, and as the Donk points out, your filler neck is likely just been swapped as well.

Hoss
That will definitely help determine what I'm working with. Will post back after I can check the filler location/any body work done in that location. Any clue what year CJ parts I have if it is indeed the YJ tub?
post #12 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:51 PM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
These were actual reported miles.
In that case JoonHoss' explanation fits and whoever did the swap neglected to correct the mileage on the new speedometer.

post #13 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Hellions

Several weird items not mentioned earlier. The T-Case is passenger side which is obviously CJ. The front spring mounts appear to not have shackles which is YJ. Finally, if it was a YJ tub swap (seems likely), why didn't they use the YJ windshield (it appears to be a CJ drilled for the spreader bars)?

1982 Jeep CJ7 +4". 360 w/Edelbrock Performer Intake and Holley Truck Avenger carb. T18/D300 (Advance Adaptors). Hedman inframes. CV Driveshafts. Dana 44 w/Locker. American Racing Stics 5 on 33/12.50 Cooper rubber. Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers. Bushwacker flares. YJ family cage and ORF spreaders.
post #14 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM
TheDonk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellions View Post
Several weird items not mentioned earlier. The T-Case is passenger side which is obviously CJ. The front spring mounts appear to not have shackles which is YJ.
...Eh?

post #15 of 36 Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

get a pic of the rear diff cover. Those axle ends look like dana 44, so possibly an 86 cj-7 running gear. as others have said it is a wrangle tub dropped on a cj-7 frame and running gear. IIRC also the front body mounts have to be modified to fit the wrangler tub.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Tags
cj , cj7 , identify , jeep , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.