Help me solve this blasted Pinging.... - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me solve this blasted Pinging....

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #121
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

5. Check for Vac leaks
Address as necessary

This should be number one.

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #122
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjim7 View Post
...it might help to start out with plotting your curve so you have something to work off of.....
This sounds like a good idea. But, proving my ignorance again, I have no idea how to go about this. Can someone provide a link?

Also, if the Autolite 5503 is not the proper plug to use, can someone recommend an equivalent plug in that heat range?

Learning TONS here, even whithout being able to put the information to use yet. Looking forward to getting a wrench in my hand again.... That'll be Monday evening.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #123
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

LPG does and can EXPLODE. Anyone who thinks it can't, is a FOOL......
I use to deliver it..........
It is heavier than air and will settle/sit in low spots.
The soapy water works well because you will see the bubbles disapear, sucked inside at the point of the leak, and hear the engine change pitch too.
I have been using the soapy water trick for 45+ yrs.
SPARK PLUGS-Use ONLY the ones the maker sez is the correct app. for your Jeep. IIRC, you will want AL 985. The 5503 is a much hotter plug than OEM.
OP-What are in you Jeep now?
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #124
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
LPG does and can EXPLODE. Anyone who thinks it can't, is a FOOL......

LG
As I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
...BUT, if it is going to a point to booger up this thread, I will use another method.
Also, I have no idea plugs what are in it now. But someone suggested a cooler plug to cool down the cylinder temps. That is why I was looking for such.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #125
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
SPARK PLUGS-Use ONLY the ones the maker sez is the correct app. for your Jeep. IIRC, you will want AL 985. The 5503 is a much hotter plug than OEM.
LG
The 5503 is two heat ranges (#3 vs #5, with 5 being the hottest one made) lower than the OEM 985. Getting that tip up out of the chamber can go a long ways towards fighting detonation. It isn't a fix-all but it's another piece of the puzzle.

Unless you have access to a gas station from the early 80s that still pumps leaded fuel, everything has changed. Leave the manual where it belongs: on the shelf. Set the thing up to run with the fuel we're stuck with

Shawn
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #126
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I have owned my jeep(bought new in 1985)for over 28 yrs.
Have 118K miles on the engine, NEVER been iside of it. So I know how to keep it going.
BTW, mine still passes Ca. smog with the Carb on it. I do run OEM heat range plugs.
Unleaded was out when the OP bought his Jeep. I do run prem. gas as my 4.2 does like it better.
Now, you have to have a baseline to start with. To do that, you go to OEM spec. stuff and start from there.
Colder plugs are for high rev'n race'n engines. Our 4.2l engine is a tractor engine, that's 'red-lined' at 4500rpm.
'Cold' plugs will/can foul up in street use. BTDT.
OP-I asked this before-What grade of fuel are you run'n??
Go pull a s'plug and tell use what it is....
LG
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #127
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Now, you have to have a baseline to start with. To do that, you go to OEM spec. stuff and start from there.
Colder plugs are for high rev'n race'n engines. Our 4.2l engine is a tractor engine, that's 'red-lined' at 4500rpm.
LG
His current baseline is pinging like hell and we need to help him get it sorted out before he has an oil pan failure or develops wrist pin inspection ports.

To make generalizations like "cold plugs are for race engines", in my opinion, isn't wise. The 5503 isn't a "cold" plug. What engines need is a plug that's hot enough to burn off combustion residue and cool enough to not ignite the fuel as it's being compressed for a given combustion chamber design with a given fuel.

Does this plug show any evidence of carbon fouling due to heat range? The base ring is a little dark but that's my tuning preference: 13.5:1 at idle so I don't have to listen to that blasted lean-cough when it's closer to 14.7.

Here's the WOT fuel ring. I'm certainly no expert but it looks pretty good to me.

Hopefully Matt will pop in here and show us his "cold" plugs. Matt lives up in God's country and I'm down here in satan's camel toe but both elevations seem to be quite happy with a cooler plug.

Either way, we've got to figure out why he's got that much combustion heat and try to cool things down.

Shawn
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #128
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The CC heat the OP is see'n is from a super lean mix via a vacuum leak or ing. timing that is to far advanced. Low octane fuel don't help either.....
That black ring on that 1 plug, is from unburned fuel. I will bet your upper combustion chamber looks the same. Those carbon deposits become 'glow-plugs' that can 'lite' fuel. AKA 'ping'.
LG
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #129
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Can't we put a vacuum gauge on this engine and see what vacuum he is pulling. It will go a long way to seeing how bad a leak is..

However, I have ran my engine with vacuum lines that have fallen off an creat a vacuum leak but the engine never pinged the whole time. Not like the OP has described it
If the timing was far off, he would have trouble starting it when hot.

Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't CC related at all but something like a flywheel hitting an inspection plate or a broken pinion gear on a starter.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #130
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

With vacuum leaks on my 258 I still pulled 15 inches. No pinging at all, just extra poor mileage. The primary cause of our vac leak, this time, was a poor 90* fitting at the PCV. Once fixed we bumped up to 21 inches. Just another thing to have a look at.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #131
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
I have owned my jeep(bought new in 1985)for over 28 yrs.
Have 118K miles on the engine, NEVER been iside of it. So I know how to keep it going.
BTW, mine still passes Ca. smog with the Carb on it. I do run OEM heat range plugs.
Unleaded was out when the OP bought his Jeep. I do run prem. gas as my 4.2 does like it better.
LG
I certainly appreciate the information. However, I have NOT owned mine since it rolled off the line and god knows how many POs there have been.

I have already stated the following:

Quote:

I have tried Super in the tank and even added octane booster to it, with no improvement (before i went to mechanic).
and

Quote:
Not to mention, I said I am on vacation (4 hours away from Jeep) and gathering information to attack this issue when I got back....
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #132
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Can't we put a vacuum gauge on this engine and see what vacuum he is pulling. It will go a long way to seeing how bad a leak is..
Have a vacuum gauge on order, as well as compression gauge, piston stop, timing tape.

Can't wait to put it on the thing as soon as it comes in...
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #133
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Don't forget a timing light.
That will go on the very front plug wire.
I did overlook the fuel you were using. My mistake!
PLEASE, when you can. Pull a plug and tell us what it is and take a picture of the tip if you can.
LG
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #134
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
?....Pull a plug and tell us what it is and take a picture of the tip if you can.
Yup!
I plan to post pics of all of the plugs
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #135
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Just a FYI on off the shelf on octane boosters from auto parts stores.

I'll use the brand that says +4 on the can as a example. This stuff does not make 93 octane fuel out of 89 octane, it's only 4/10's. so by adding the proper amount the octane is only increased to 89.4.

Don't waste your hard earned $ on this stuff.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.