Help me solve this blasted Pinging.... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me solve this blasted Pinging....

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #91
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Hmmm.... I'm starting to get the picture here. But I am a little confused byt these two posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
...What Shawn and I are suggesting is for you to disconnect the dizzy from the "spark port", plug that port, and find a manifold vac source to connect it to....
And

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
On both of the Quadratrac Jeeps I have/had, the supply is/was hooked up to a small nipple on the intake manifold just behind the carb, not directly to the carb. This was a 304 and a 360. When I installed a 258 in the Jeep I placed a "T" in the vacuum line from the carb to the distributor. You will want full manifold vacuum to the switch/valve in The glove box....
There is a port on the manifold behind the carb. Not sure if my buddy connected something there, or if it is just plugged.
I think what you guys are saying is to us THAT port (with a T) for the distributor AND the Qtrac, plugging the 'spark port' and the port that the Qtrac is currently hooked to.

(obviously the Qtrac thing is secondary. Don't really need it if I can't drive it... lol)

I will get a filter for the intake side of the PCV. But again, not a problem if I can't drive it... Although I do get a lot of steam or smoke out of there, which will probably screw up the filter faily quickly.

86cj74.2L: I have not disconnected the vac advance and driven it

2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #92
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
2xtreme, hang in there, man, we'll get it figured out.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #93
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Your Q'trac is already hooked to manifold vac, as it should be. Leave it alone.

To supply your dizzy with manifold, you can either T into the Q'trac line, or find an additional manifold port to connect to. Perhaps the one you are talking about in the rear, but you need to confirm it's manifold.

Clear as mud?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #94
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Any port below your carbs throttle plates is a manifold vac source. If you have power brakes you can tap there as well.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #95
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Ok, my $.02. At one point I think it was said that a vacuum leak can cause the engine to run hot and ping on acceleration. If so, it seems prudent to check the lines that are on Manifold vacuum going to the Quadratec tranny for leaks. They are probably the original lines and very possibly leaking.

I don't know how the Q'trac works, but if it is possible, pull the line off at the carb and cap it. Then go for a ride and see if the pinging is gone.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #96
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Your Q'trac is already hooked to manifold vac, as it should be. Leave it alone.

To supply your dizzy with manifold, you can either T into the Q'trac line, or find an additional manifold port to connect to. Perhaps the one you are talking about in the rear, but you need to confirm it's manifold.

Clear as mud?
Yep!

At this point, I think it will be easiest to T into the Qtrac line.

The other port I mentioned is in the intake manifold, so that would definitely be manifold vac. But at this point I figure why mess with it when I can T off the other...
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #97
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
Ok, my $.02. At one point I think it was said that a vacuum leak can cause the engine to run hot and ping on acceleration. If so, it seems prudent to check the lines that are on Manifold vacuum going to the Quadratec tranny for leaks. They are probably the original lines and very possibly leaking.

I don't know how the Q'trac works, but if it is possible, pull the line off at the carb and cap it. Then go for a ride and see if the pinging is gone.
I also intend to check for vac leaks using the propane method.
Will probably just temporarily disconnect the Qtrac from the carb and use that for the distributor.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #98
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Yep!

At this point, I think it will be easiest to T into the Qtrac line.

The other port I mentioned is in the intake manifold, so that would definitely be manifold vac. But at this point I figure why mess with it when I can T off the other...
Actually, I think you should use the available open port. I prefer to have a dedicated line to the distributor over one that shares the vac with other devices. That way, if a leak develops in one of those other devices, it won't affect your advance.

Keep after it....

Matt
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #99
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Thanks, guys....

Let's see.... where did we leave off before the bullying...?

Dslywalker: Elevation where I live is about 325 feet above sea level, so I assume that’s not an issue.

Bkeese: Jeep idles fine. Beautifully, even.
Although I think it idles a little fast.

I believe the mechanic said he retarded the timing as much as he could.

Also, now that you mention the thermostat, I do remember thinking the ping was a lot better when I picked it up from the mechanic, but got seem to get worse as I drove it. So a new t’stat will go in with new plugs/ wires/ cap, etc next week.

I'm still confused if the Q'trac switch should be hooked up to that port on the carb and whether or not my vac advance is hooked up correctly.

Thanks again,

2X
I think just the opposite!!!!!! The machanic advanced it as much as he could, too the point of pinging. I'm saying you need to retard it a little and soon. It may have gotten worst after leaving the mechanic because it got hotter. Heck, cut the center out of the thermostat you have now and put it back in. That's as cool as it will run.
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #100
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Actually, I think you should use the available open port. I prefer to have a dedicated line to the distributor over one that shares the vac with other devices. That way, if a leak develops in one of those other devices, it won't affect your advance.

Keep after it....

Matt
Noted.
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #101
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks, Guys. Just Thanks! My weekend has been made...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #102
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You should hook up a vacuum gauge and see what you readings are .
At idle, with your altitude, you should have at least 18inHG. And a steady needle if the engine is sound.
Vacuum leaks will cause a lean condition and that can lead to the 'ping'. NOT-GOOD....
To check for v/leaks. Get a spray bottle of VERY soapy water and spray everydangplace around the carb, manifold, lines etc.
If the bubbles disappear and the engine sound changes. You have found your leak.
Good luck,
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #103
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Propane won't kind a leak in the Q-trac lines. The hose , nipple and steel are so small it would make very little difference if it was left open. The vacuum can barely be felt with a finger over the end.
It won't hurt to take the Q-trac vacuum line out of the equation , just cap it if you do.
The vacuum Actuator has a detent in the rod, so it will stay (or should stay) where it's at when the line is disconnected.
Whenever you have the chance, consider marking the lines for the actuator, apply side (derive), vent, and release side (normal) Use colored tape or zip ties .

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #104
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You need to remove the vacuum advance hose and plug it and drive your jeep and see what happens to the pinging.

You also need a timing light ( a dial back type is handy)
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #105
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
You need to remove the vacuum advance hose and plug it and drive your jeep and see what happens to the pinging.
I suspect that test will prove little since his pinging is under load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
You also need a timing light ( a dial back type is handy)
Absolutely agree. A timing/TAC/advance light and a vacuum gauge are critical tools to tune these old beasts.

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.