Help me solve this blasted Pinging.... - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me solve this blasted Pinging....

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #736
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Tell me more about relocating a new PCV port. Where and Why?
And by 'front' I assume you mean here, since the carburetor is rotated 90* on the intake...
Yes. See the PCV port on this one? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2431

Did you watch that video I posted? I'm wondering if moving the PCV to the active primary side will improve it and actually ingest the vapor instead of blowing it all over the top of your carb.

Probably just reading goat entrails at this point.

Shawn

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #737
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Yes. See the PCV port on this one? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2431

Did you watch that video I posted? I'm wondering if moving the PCV to the active primary side will improve it and actually ingest the vapor instead of blowing them all over the top of your carb.
My spacer does have a blind hole that I assume is for drilling and tapping for just such a thing.

Big Brother doesn't let us access YouTube from work.
Well, not without some finagling...
I'll have to pull it up on my phone.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #738
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

What Shawn says makes sense. Plus moving it to the primary side will get it in the air stream. To help move it along persay.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #739
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
What Shawn says makes sense. Plus moving it to the primary side will get it in the air stream. To help move it along persay.
Quote:
Yes anything done (besides making a different 3/8 vacuum port ) is not fixing the problem.

If the intake is a open plenum (even of its not) he can coat a drill bit in grease and drill and then tap a 1/8 pipe tap in there and have his own separate PCV vacuum source.
1/8.... 3/8.... I'm confused.

I assume by 3/8, you are referring to vac line size.

The port location in the picture that Shawn posted looks to be the same size as mine. Spec states 1/4".

Where does the 1/8" come in??
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #740
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ok if it says 1/4 inch pipe then so be it.

Did you ask Holley about your rich idle circuit? Beings its susposta be between 1 and 2 turns out. Not 5/8.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #741
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
...Did you ask Holley about your rich idle circuit? Beings its susposta be between 1 and 2 turns out. Not 5/8.
No, I didn't.
It seemed unanimous that I needed to rejet or do the modification that Shawn mentioned.

Then, somewhere along the line, I ran into another issue.
Maybe it was the pinging on mech adv, maybe it was the PCV/ leak issue....
To be honest I don't even know where I am at any more... lol.

Right now I can't do anything until I get it to idle smoothly again.
I think it's the carb gasket.

When I get back to town I am going to pull the carb ONE MORE TIME and replace the carb gaskets and add the PCV port to the spacer. Plus replace the carb studs.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #742
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme

No, I didn't.
It seemed unanimous that I needed to rejet or do the modification that Shawn mentioned.

Then, somewhere along the line, I ran into another issue.
Maybe it was the pinging on mech adv, maybe it was the PCV/ leak issue....
To be honest I don't even know where I am at any more... lol.

Right now I can't do anything until I get it to idle smoothly again.
I think it's the carb gasket.

When I get back to town I am going to pull the carb ONE MORE TIME and replace the carb gaskets and add the PCV port to the spacer. Plus replace the carb studs.
Your idle issue could be like my problem with the Harley. Too much exhaust gasses in the PCV gas. That will choke (richen it up) your engine.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #743
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Your idle issue could be like my problem with the Harley. Too much exhaust gasses in the PCV gas. That will choke (richen it up) your engine.
True, but it was idling dern near perfect until yesterday......
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #744
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
True, but it was idling dern near perfect until yesterday......
Go back to what you had....
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #745
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

More grasping at straws here....

I was poking around and saw some mentions, here and there, about not having a return fuel line causing overheating.
And also that by not having one, the added pressure in the fuel system could "push the needle valve off the seat and flood the engine with fuel."

Since the Jeep seemed fine out of the gate on my last two runs, and didn't present an issue until it got hot, I got to thinking.

I don't have a return line from my fuel filter.
Probably should.
Hope the tank end is capped.
But my filter is a simple inlet/ outlet.

Any thoughts on this??
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #746
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Holley's are not that sensitive to fuel pressure as long as you stay below 7psi. Putting a carter high pressure pump (9psi) will eventually blow over the needle and seat.
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #747
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Holley's are not that sensitive to fuel pressure as long as you stay below 7psi. Putting a carter high pressure pump (9psi) will eventually blow over the needle and seat.
OK. Cool on that part.
But what about the overheating?

There is another thread here going on about it...
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #748
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do you mean your fuel is overheating?

You got a few issues going on. Stay focused and do not let yourself get side tracked.

Your carb is too rich. Jet it down and drive it. If it effects the idle mixture. Then readjust it. Consider it a bonus.

You got excessive oil coming out your PCV. That's more difficult to handle. Having a stronger PCV draw by relocating it may pull more oil. So make a PCV condenser.

Your cranking pressure is 170psi and you didn't even hold the throttle open. I'm thinking it should be 130-150. (know one mentioned that theirs is as high as yours) which to me is carbon and not 10:1 pistons.

You have detonation just running with the mechanical advance. (Vacuum advance plugged) If your flyweights are not sticking and you can't grab the rotor shaft and move it around to prove the distributor needs replaced.....its back to excessive carbon buildup.

I've already put a small motorcycle carb jet into a rubber tube( as a restrictor) and drove my Saturn around dipping the other end in a jug of water (or -20 deg windshield washer fluid) every time I wasn't at a stop light. I actually installed water injection ( using a 50cc per min at 150psi nozzle) on my satty to keep the carbon gone, since I cleaned it all out while I swapped heads. I have a limit switch that activated it just off idle, (3% Throttle position opening), and rely on manifold vacuum to pull it into the engine.

"Focus Danielson"
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #749
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
"Focus Danielson"

Good point!
I do tend to get side tracked.

Regarding jetting, I'll have to read back and see what size jets we settled on and get some on order.

I found this separator online. It looks to be a pretty good unit for the price.
http://www.velocityshop.com/product/...ilver_763.html
Good size, sight tube, easily emptied, looks good. One thing I am confused about is that it makes no mention of a filter. And the inlet/outlet lines are right next to each other (which they are on most units), so wouldn't the gasses/ oil just transfer from one line to the other in the space above the canister?

Short of pulling the head, which I would like to avoid, I dont know what more I can do to remove any carbon. I've already run a full gallon of distilled water through the system. Granted that was not under load, and maybe that makes a difference. You mentioned a fuel additive. Recommendation?

I haven't torn into the distributor yet, other than to pull the cap to see if vacuum produced any movement inside, which it did. I will have to pull it apart and take a look at the weights and check the shaft for play.
How much play are we talking about, here?
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #750
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

you would have to look at the internal design but usually there are 'things for the oil to catch on and let the air pass.
It could be anything like a perforated steel plate to something like steel wool. it will catch the oil and and let the air go on by.

I see a trend here,
years of blow by, building up an impressive layer of carbon on the pistons leading to pre-ignition. Higher pressures in cylinder = more blow-by = more carbon buildup = higher pressures...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.