Help me solve this blasted Pinging.... - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me solve this blasted Pinging....

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #721
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Under most of your driving conditions, the breather will allow the PCV to pull air IN to the engine. All of that vapor gets sucked through the PCV, into the intake manifold and burned. When you're WFO and the PCV can't keep up, it might let some vapor out but for the most part, the breather is an intake.

In fact, for tits and shiggles, I tested mine and the PCV would suck a piece of paper down onto the breather port at idle.

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #722
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Here, watch this video. I6 engines have some really funky wave reflection on the intake side. That's why I keep questioning the PCV being located over the "secondary" i.e. inactive side of the carb. I also believe that's the cause of the oily film all over the carb.

Again, I could most-certainly be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XXRtyG3E#at=22
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #723
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If your PCV systems up to par you should be able to put your finger over the rear hole in the valve cover and feel it build vacuum.

If it doesn't then either there is too much blowby or what you have for a vacuum source is not adequate.

The carb I got off a gremlin for my base plate rebuild demo had 1/8 inch of black tar from PCV vapor on everything. It turned my carb dip jet black.

Again nasty. If your going to vent it, jam it in a frame rail where it will at least rust proof something or get the kit to run it into your exhaust. Which will help evacuate the crankcase anyway.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #724
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
... or get the kit to run it into your exhaust. Which will help evacuate the crankcase anyway.
This won't work on the street.

Notice the hose from the breather. There was one on each side welded in like this...

They'll weep oil out of every gasket under normal use. Ask me how I know
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #725
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The guys on the Dodge Daytona Fourm in Allpar used this as a secondary evac system.

However it didn't look like yours. It was a 6" long piece of tubing inserted into a hole drilled then egged out into the exhaust pipe then making sure the pipe lays flat wield it into place.

It created a better eductor effect because the exhaust blowing by the open pipe inside the exhaust pulled more air with it. I haven't herd them complain of it not being effective.

I never tried it........so I have no first hand experience. But pictures and what knot.......

Edit.

Here is a picture of what I think you have Shawn. From the inside of coarse. If it had a 90 degree fitting on it with the opening pointed down stream it would be similar to what the Daytona guys were doing with a piece of pipe........
image-3567586190.jpg

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #726
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

That looks about right, 86. It's been a while though.

Unfortunately, the only time those exhaust evac systems work is with full-tilt, WFO deals. If it works well for 2X, it's a band aid and we've missed the real culprit somewhere.
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #727
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yes anything done (besides making a different 3/8 vacuum port ) is not fixing the problem.

If the intake is a open plenum (even of its not) he can coat a drill bit in grease and drill and then tap a 1/8 pipe tap in there and have his own separate PCV vacuum source.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #728
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You know, my '63 Chevy had a crank case vent system. even back then they knew it was important to get rid of the fumes in the crank case forcefully. It was just a road draft tube but it worked and you changed your oil every month.

My PCV system has no effect on my engine I could tell. no reason you can't get your to work. I think they gave you the wrong one or a bad one personally.

Yes, one side pulls the fresh air in, should be filtered.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #729
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
...I've said this more than once and I could most-certainly be wrong but I'd drill and tap the adapter plate so the PCV inlet is in the front where 99% of the air flow is and see what happens. That

Offy intake is a goofy azz design.

Did you mess with the vacuum advance adjustment any further?
Tell me more about relocating a new PCV port. Where and Why?
And by 'front' I assume you mean here, since the carburetor is rotated 90* on the intake...

I agree about the Offy intake design.
Lot's of people have good luck with them. but if I had to do it over, I'd go with a different one.

I have not messed with the vac advance any further.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #730
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
...I think they gave you the wrong one or a bad one personally.
I agree.

The kid at Advance definitely gave me the wrong one. I have since ordered and installed the correct one from Quadratec, capping one side of the 'T.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #731
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Went to the garage last night to try a few things out.

Started the jeep and it would not pick a steady RPM.
It fluctuated about 100-120 RPM.

Pretty sure that indicates a vacuum leak.
But I couldn't find it for the life of me.
Fogged the whole thing with carburetor cleaner and couldn't find anything.
re-torqued the manifold bolts. got a hair out of a few of them, but no improvement in idle...

Idle was great up until now.
How does this crap just 'pop up'?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #732
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I prefer to use a Stethoscope for finding vacuum leaks. I remove the metal end and just use the hose.
If possible I leave the air cleaner on, as to not pick up noise from the top of the carb.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #733
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Some GM and the newer 4.0's don't use a PCV they use a fixed hole around 1/8 inch. And it works. I replaced the PCV on my Saturn with the GM fixed hole equivalent and idle was more steady.

If you pinch off the PCV when its surging what happens to the idle?

My wife's Harley had the breather removed and blowing on the ground when we bought it. So I put it back I to the air box. Big mistake.

It had so much blowby when warmed up that it would all but stall the engine. And removing the tube idle would pick up and become normal. So its back to blowing on the ground.........
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #734
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well it is hard to suck all the crankcase fumes out on a worn engine.

And leaving the PCV off the engine might work but it wouldn't be the cowboy way now would it ?

So what's causing all the blowby?

I'd like to see a leakdown test right about now...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #735
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Well it is hard to suck all the crankcase fumes out on a worn engine.

And leaving the PCV off the engine might work but it wouldn't be the cowboy way now would it ?

So what's causing all the blowby?

I'd like to see a leakdown test right about now...
Definitely need to do a leakdown test.
IF I can get to the garage tonight, I will do it.

Getting ready to go out of town for a few days, so I may not get back to it until the weekend....

[EDIT]
Scratch that.
I don't have a leakdown tester.
Thought it was done with a compression gauge.

Guess I have to go shopping again....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.