I am about out of options at this point.
Yes, we managed to get the intake leak satisfied and the carb dialed in pretty tight.
My vacuum is good. And steady.
Initial compression numbers looked even across the board. They may be a little higher if I had done the test properly (until needle stopped), possibly another 10-20psi per cylinder, based on the way the needle was acting.
Running distilled water through the engine in hopes of cleaning out some of the carbon yielded no improvement.
Seems to me, my last hope right now is to hope I find a broken advance spring when I tear into the distributor. Although possible, thatís probably unlikely. Thatís just not how my luck runs.
Short of that, it looks like itís time to make a decision Ė Replace/ Rebuild/ Upgrade.
My first thought, in the short term, is that I have a spare 258 sitting in the corner of my garage that I got with a pile of parts. I could give it the once over, swap it in, and still have a driver while I have my current motor rebuilt. BUT, I took a quick look at that motor last night and it is covered with a thick layer of oil/ grease/ grime, which probably indicates a serious leak somewhere.
Then, I thought about seeing if I could pick up another 258 to use while my current motor is rebuilt. But to what end? I could end up with a motor in the same or worse condition.
The other, and seemingly best, option is that I have had a good 304 offered to me for the price of delivery. Obviously there is some research and effort to be put in before this upgrade, as well as some costs involved.
I have to say I thought we were onto something once we got the intake leak/ carb situations straightened out.
But now I am about ready to admit defeat.
Can you guys think of any of your suggestions that I have overlooked or failed to address?