Help me solve this blasted Pinging.... - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me solve this blasted Pinging....

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #316
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Enjoying some quality liquor on the porch with the little lady for the evening...

Still need to contact Holley AND look into the kickdown thing.

But for tonight it's drinks on the porch...

2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #317
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

It is always fun to watch, listen, to Shawn and Matt try to help. Even though I don't have any of the same set up or issues, I learn more each post for the future in case I decide to do more.
Cheers to all three of you.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #318
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Just emailed Holley with the last pic I took and a description of the problem.
I'm sure that will lead to more questions from them.
Their site says replies could take up to 48 hrs.....

Going to run to the garage and check out the Trans Kickdown linkage and take some more pics. At this point I might as well pull it all the way off so I can position it better.

I'll post up what I fend, then I'm taking the GF fishing.

Wish me luck, on both counts.....
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #319
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Good luck. Just remember, if she goes fishing with you, you may have to go "shopping" with her. No good deed goes unpunished

Shawn
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #320
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

She actually likes fishing and therefore doesn't torture me with shopping too often....
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #321
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Also move a round the fast idle cam and check its adjustment to it should have play
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #322
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Just getting home from a full day.

Tried to link my entire Album of pics I took of the carb today, but can't figure it out. So here are the individual pics.

Sorry if it's too much (still nothing from Holley).

Last two are a little blurry. My bad...
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #323
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

That is a gunked up s.o.b. How in the world did it get that way? Is your PCV breather attached to the air cleaner? If that sludge has been drawn into your idle-air bleeds, that just may be your problem.

Shawn

Edit: That doesn't explain your throttle not closing though
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #324
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Oddly enough, I see it so much I didn't even notice how gross it is....

PCV is not connected to air cleaner - no provision to.
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #325
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Really? Well something's definitely funky here. Is it all over the under side of your air cleaner lid? How 'bout if you hold the choke plate open with your hand. Gunked up?

I need to start over on page one. I'll be right back

Shawn
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #326
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

All I can think of at the moment is a PCV issue. Is your PCV hose full of oil? Where exactly does it hook up to the carb or manifold? I know fo sho that I6 engines have some really funky pulses in the intake and that could explain how oil got all over the inside of the carb. I'd just expect to see more of it on your plugs.

I'll leave it here for now as I'm a little stumped. Maybe someone else has something to add or take away from that. I knew I picked the wrong week to quit drinking

Shawn
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #327
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In all these pages have you ever done a compression check?

You can make a PCV gas condenser to remove the oil and oil vapor before it goes into the intake.

Stock valve cover? When you pull the PCV out of the valve cover gromet are you looking at the back side of a baffle or the valve trane?

All that oil going through your motor (sorry Matt) will put major carbon in the combustion chambers and piston tops. Plus oil vapor is easy to light off with compression or a hot spot.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #328
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

ACK!!!
Another fork in the rabbit hole!

This mess seems to take on a new direction every time I post pics.
It's like Pandora's Box....

Anyway, Let me see if I can answer the outstanding questions.

Based on the amount of gunk above the choke plate, I would image the carb is gunked up inside as well....

Not sure if the PCV hose is full of oil. Will have to verify that tonight.
PCV is connected to PCV nipple on carb. See pic below.

I have not done a compression check to date.
It is the stock VC. And I BELIEVE that there is a baffle under the PCV, but will verify this tonight as well.

PCV routing:

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #329
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Hmmm…..
I am wondering if I am a victim of confusing naming conventions, mediocre documentation, and my own ignorance…

I have been scouring the internet for information on idle adjustment issue with the Holley, and think I have been confusing the Primary Idle speed screw and the Fast Idle speed screw.
Although the Holley documentation only refers to the Fast Idle screw as working in conjunction with the choke.

I found several mentions of the “fast idle screw turned in so far, that even when it wasn't on fast idle, it was holding the throttle open, stopping me from being able to bring the idle speed down far enough...”

I also saw mentions of not having 12v at the choke causing issues.
And in reviewing my photos I noticed my choke ground has a nasty kink in it which I will have to take care of.

Just throwing this info out there. Thoughts?
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #330
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

It's hard to miss the idle speed screw. I'd back both of these all the way out and see if you get that throttle plate to close. No choke wire hook up Your old carb had one that likely came off the oil pressure switch on the other side of the engine behind the distributor. You could quite possibly have a wire dangling from there with the end taped up. Either way, find a place that gets 12 volts with the key in the run position and get it over to the choke.

Here's a not-so-great pic of where the oil pressure switch is. See the copper line and the wire connection behind the dizzy towards the back of the block?

Edit: If you're saying that your choke + wire is hooked up and it's just the ground wire in question, then give the back to me.

Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.