Help me solve this blasted Pinging.... - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me solve this blasted Pinging....

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #226
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I pulled on the alt. belt. Of course, I was drinking so I had the strength of "Chief Ten Beers"

Shawn

Unread 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #227
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I can move the engine with all the plugs out by spinning the fan. You can get it close from underneath with a biggy wrench then tweek from up top with the fan.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #228
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
It's up to you,
I just crank on the crank from under the jeep to keep from hitting the fan. But my fenders have big cutaways. that I can still see the balancer.
Yeahhh...
I have stock (fiberglass) fenders. Not to mention 35" tires and I'm 5'-6"... lol

I think I will go ahead and remove the fan. It's a PITA because it's so close to the rad. But I think it will make things easier in the long run.
Or see what kind of access I might gain by removing the fender.

Ahhhhh... the joys of owning a classic!
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #229
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I can move the engine with all the plugs out by spinning the fan. You can get it close from underneath with a biggy wrench then tweek from up top with the fan.
I can turn the engine this way as well, but not too smoothly, which makes me nervous of bashing the piston into the piston stop once it is installed.
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #230
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
I can turn the engine this way as well, but not too smoothly, which makes me nervous of bashing the piston into the piston stop once it is installed.
Don't worry about that, it's not made out of grandma's china. Now don't be a gorilla and don't hit it with the starter but you're not going to hurt it by using the fan to sneak up on it.

I still can't imagine you not being able to use a long ratchet or breaker bar with an extension from underneath Are you using the piston stop with the bleed hole?

Shawn
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #231
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
...I still can't imagine you not being able to use a long ratchet or breaker bar with an extension from underneath Are you using the piston stop with the bleed hole?...
OK, let me try to explain myself a little better. Had a couple of beers in me when I posted last night...

I CAN turn it over from below. But the head of my ratchet contacts the fan (or vice versa) as it rotates. Went to grab my breaker bar, assuming it would afford me more clearance. But alas, one of my kids must have 'borrowed' it...

I am using the stop with the thu-hole. But hadn't gotten to the point of installing it yet.
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #232
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I see. If your belts are tight enough, you might be able to spin it via an accessory with either a wrench or by the belts themselves. You'll have the benefit of leverage there, too. Otherwise, you might just have to reposition the breaker bar over and over. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate fixed fans

Shawn
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #233
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
...Have I ever mentioned how much I hate fixed fans
In a stroke of genius, I removed the electric fan I had previously installed and replaced it with the fixed fan... because I found the electric loud and annoying...
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #234
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Mo' wrenchin', mo' problems.....

Managed to do the TDC thing and get the timing tape on the balancer.
That was about ALL that went right last night.

After putting the 2 marks on the balancer and splitting the difference, then installing the tape, I brought the engine back to TDC and it seemed to be 10* off. The '10' on the tape was at the '0' mark on the indicator....

Then I moved on to setting the idle. Fired the 258 up to hear a terrible rapping...
It's always had a slight knock in the bottom end, but this was worse than ever. It calmed down a bit after the oil got circulating, but was still louder than I am used to it being.

Put my brandy-new wizbang timing light on and the thing is running at 1750rpm... Then I realized I forgot to disconnect the vac advance. Disco'd that and it ran quite a bit slower. Can't remember the rpm.
BUT...
I could NOT get the idle below 1000rpm. Turned the idle screw all the way out until it was no longer touching. Wondering now if there is a linkage or spring hooked up incorrectly.
Back to the Holley book.... Going to make a new post regarding that, too.
[EDIT] Post/ pics are here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/do.../#post15474563

We have family in town and a GD wedding tying up the whole weekend. So I won't be able to touch the Jeep until Tuesday, at least....

Last edited by 2Xtreme; 05-24-2013 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Added linkie
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #235
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post

After putting the 2 marks on the balancer and splitting the difference, then installing the tape, I brought the engine back to TDC and it seemed to be 10* off. The '10' on the tape was at the '0' mark on the indicator....
I am completely confused as well. Didn't you stick the tape's "0" on your center mark and then line the tape up with "0" on the indicator?

Shawn
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #236
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
...Didn't you stick the tape's "0" on your center mark and then line the tape up with "0" on the indicator?...
That was the plan.
Tapes '0' on the center mark I made.
Rotated engine clockwise (with piston stop still in) and when it contacted the stop, '10' on the tape was at the indicator instead of the tape's '0' as I had expected.

Only thing I can think is maybe I didn't actually hit the stop when I made the second mark (turning the engin was a little herky -jerky).

Incidentally, the two marks I made were 3 1/2" apart.
balancer is 6 3/4" diameter.
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #237
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Maybe you missed a step or I'm misunderstanding you.

After you rotate counter-clockwise to the stop and make your second mark. You can go ahead and remove the piston stop. In fact, you'll have to to come back around to line up the zeros at TDC after you install the tape.

Shawn
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #238
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

OK, once I removed the stop I could line up the tapes '0' with '0' on the indicator.

But what does lining them up do at this point?
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #239
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

That just happens to be exactly TDC. What it will tell you, though, is if your balancer has slipped. Was the original hash mark in a different spot than your center mark?

-S
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #240
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
...Was the original hash mark in a different spot than your center mark?
It was.
I forget how far off, though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.