Help me ID an '83 transmission and Tcase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help me ID an '83 transmission and Tcase

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Help me ID an '83 transmission and Tcase

I'm working on a project with a friend and am in need of help ID'ing what transmission we are working with. He picked up an '83 CJ7 with an inline 6 and 5 speed transmission. I went over to take a look at it before I bought it, but didn't take a close look at the transmission or transfer case. I do know that the stick shift lever is "S" shaped. He got it to a mechanic and he put a new clutch in it but while doing so noticed that the bellhousing wasn't the correct one and it had been attached using a bunch of washers as spacers. He's been looking all over the place for the correct bellhousing for the I-6 and transmission he has in it. The problem is, I don't believe he knows much about cj's and I don't know if he's even sure what the transmission is that hes working on. I went over to get pics, but the trans had been pulled and it was in his shop somewhere. My suggestion was to button it back up and get it over to my friends home so we can get to work on it.
So after all that, can someone tell me what transmission and transfer case I would be working with? It'll be the stock one for that year. Sorry, no pics but I can get some if theres no suggestions with the limited info I have.
Thanks

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Smartazz ON: Hey, I got some used shoes, can you tell me what they are? They have laces and rubber bottoms, but no pictures right now.....Smartazz OFF
Ok sorry, but really without pictures we are ONLY guessing

T5 and Dana 300. I will need to see a picture of the bellhousing and the rigged washer set up.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I know, I get it....I've been on here long enough to know that its a pain trying to help someone without pics. I was just hoping someone would be able to ID this thing with the parameters I have. I'm hoping he can get it home tomorrow and I'll be able to get some pics and have a better idea of what we will be working with.
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post

t5 and dana 300.
x2
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
skorp1702
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im not completely sure but in 83 with in line 6 are only 2 manual transmissions the t5 and t-177 both with the dana 300 transfer the t5 has a s shaped shifter the t177 has a straight shifter sounds to me that the po put a t5 behind a t-177 bell housing just to get a 5 spd since the t177 is a 4 spd if thats the case and he wants to go wheeling alot and hard. Find a tremec 176-177 and put back in it. My dads t5 was rebuilt 5 times in 7 yrs and mine has seen way more with my t177 and not even as much as a grind has come from it
skorp1702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. I had a T-176 in my '77 and had no issues with it. I don't know anything about the T-5, but I do know this will be a daily driver and on the street; no wheeling or rock crawling. I'm keeping my eyes open for a T-176 since I know they are good transmissions and I've rebuilt mine so I know we can get one running. I'll post a pic up as soon as I can get him to send me one.
Thanks
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
skorp1702
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the t5 is a light to med duty really shouldnt be in a 4x4 unless you just drive pavement and rarely get in the hard stuff
skorp1702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.