Help Me get my Stock air cleaner back into use (pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help Me get my Stock air cleaner back into use (pics)

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Help Me get my Stock air cleaner back into use (pics)

Hey guys,

Ok, I have had air cleaner that came with the weber carb on my 1983 Jeep CJ5 258 for the last 4 years.

Luckily I kept my original assembly, but it is missing some of the accessories.

So far my shopping list is:
Vacuum delay Valve Gray/white
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...y+vacuum+valve

Pre heat hose

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=pre+heat+hose

Air intake hose - they dont have an exact fit, but have many to try

Adapter - I am unsure if this is correct, the out diameter of this one is 2-5/16th ", the outer diameter on my air cleaner is 3", the inner is 2-10/16th". Can someone shed light on if this adapter is correct or if there is another i must get. Thanks

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/a1000.htm

Now I am going to need help figuring out where things need to be connected, Keith460 I remember helped me with some questions in another thread.

ignore time stamps

#1What goes to this open nozzle, the other one goes to one of the vacuum motors

#2This is whats on the other side, what is it?

#3 this is on the back, where do these need to be connected?

#4 This was also on back, wires were cut by PO before bought the jeep 6 years ago. What is it? needed?

#5 where do these 2 monster tubes go?

#6 what is this called, what plugs into it? This little filter is beat to death with oil from before the engine got rebuilt, can it be replaced?

Any help appreciated, I know some of you have some good diagrams out there.

This is one of the things I am doing along with trying to get this jeep winter worthy.

Thanks

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Here's an air intake hose: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cold-ai...e-5357889.html

That's about all I can help with
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Kov,

1. See pic to help you with the TAC plumbing.

2. That's the thermal switch for the TAC system.

3. That's the Thermal Vacuum Switch (TVS) for the EGR system. (see diagram)

4. Thermal Electric Switch. It tells the computer when the air temp in the air cleaner is above 65 degrees.

5. Air supply tubes for the Pulse Air System.

6. PCV intake filter element. Can be cleaned and reused, or replaced. A chunk of a green Scotch Brite Pad works in a pinch.

Matt
tacplumbing.jpg  
vac-egr.png

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
kovic
1983 CJ5 

No worries Walker, and thanks!

And Matt, thanks for the diagram, and labeling everything I asked about perfect! And thanks for the scotchbrite tip Now I have a few more questions.

#1 Will this stock air cleaner still function without the thermal electric switch, since the wires on mine are cut and the computer has been removed.

#2 My EGR is just plugged right now, should I bring it back into use? Or keep it plugged and just plug the TVS?

#3 Pulse air system, I am unfamiliar with it, i did some reading and found that one goes to the upstream air injection tube and the other to the downstream injection, I have no idea what these are. Or if this is something even needed, should I just block both these large tubes (pic#5)

Thanks

kov
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Kov,

1. Yes, the air cleaner will function fine without the TES. Just leave it as is.

2. That's up to you. If you don't have emissions requirements, then leaving the EGR plugged will be the easiest solution. I'll take that TVS switch and clip off your hands, since they don't make that piece anymore, and I need one.

3. The Pulse Air System is usually the first emissions system that guys yank off to simplify their engines. Yours is probably long gone. Just plug the tubes.

Matt
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Thanks Matt, And maybe we can work something out. Now, is there any benefit to the engine to having the EGR hooked up vs not hooked up?
Oh and is the CTO a good manifold vac source for the TAC?
kov
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

The EGRs main function is to recirculate exhaust gasses. It adds the gasses in small amounts to the intake air and through the magic of chemistry and combustion, reduces mainly NOx emissions. The difference in engine performance, if any, is probably negligible.

Any ideas on the TAC switch, Matt? Thinking through it, it seems like the CTO would do the opposite of what you'd want it to do for the TAC - close the flapper when it's warm out and open it when it's cold out...
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the intake. They say it's suppose to reduce combustion temps, but I think that benefit is minimal at best. It's mostly an ill-conceived emissions system that creates more problems than it solves. Unfortunately, it's something the SMOG nazis look for on our engines.

No, the CTO operates off of ported vacuum. The TAC system needs manifold vacuum. Your intake manifold should have a plug near the #6 intake runner (see 1st pic). Buy a simple NPT fitting, like that shown in the 2nd pic, and replace the plug with the fitting. Now you have a manifold vac source for your TAC.

Matt
intakerunner.jpg   nipple-hose.jpg  
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Thanks for the idea. Do you know what thread size the nozzle you have is? Also, just curious, where was the original manifold vac source from? And thanks for explaining the EGR, I have read some threads saying there is no benefit, then some guys are dead set saying its a must and can prevent some form of catastrophic failure.

Now for my adapter, The one I was think about getting has an outer diameter of 2-5/16th ", the inner diameter on my air cleaner is 2-10/16th". Is there supposed to be that 5/16th amount of play?

Thanks guys
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think the "nozzle" is a 1/8" NPT male. But, I'd simply take the plug to the hardware store and match it up.

The original Carter BBD had a manifold vac port near the rear driver's side of the carb. But, I'm assuming your Carter has been replaced with another carb, correct? Some popular replacement carbs, like the MC 2100 and Weber 38 have limited vacuum ports. That's why I recommend the intake runner port, when I don't know what carb you have.

That doesn't sound like the correct adapter. What carb are you running?

Matt
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Crap I thought I mentioned that. Its a Weber 32/36.

kov
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Dude, you're wearing me out!!!

Contact Tom at Redline, and ask for the adapter for an AMC 258 air cleaner. Part #99010.600.

Matt
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I have already looked into that one. Its the same measurement as the one from webercarbsdirect.com.

Only difference is its $13 cheaper than the one from redline.

redline - http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/adaptors2.htm

webercarbsdirect - http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/a1000.htm

kov
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I won't do business with webercarbsdirect because they market cheap knockoff carbs as authentic Weber carbs.

Tom would probably match their price on the adapter, if you asked him, but that's your call.

Matt
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Hmm, I had not heard that. I believe I got My carb at Redline anyways. So with either one, they are both 2-5/16th outer diameter and the inner diameter of my air cleaner is 2-10/16th, so its not going to be a tight fit. I am just asking if a little play is ok?

Thanks

kov

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.