Help - Just bought 86 Cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help - Just bought 86 Cj7

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
qwert98

Help - Just bought 86 Cj7

I just bouhgt a CJ7 - and I bought it with the understanding that you don't just drive a jeep , it's more of a hobby. Problem is, I want to enjoy this a little before I get dirty. I have two questions:

1) Did the Dana 44 have posi, or was it added aftermarket? When I lift the rear end off the ground and spin a wheel, the other one spins the same direction. I think that may be why I hear the creaking noise around turns. It's not a ratcheting sound, or the brakes. I assume it may be due to the possi?

2) Also, the rear wheels have about 1/8 to 1/4" of play. In other words you can push them into and pull them out of the jeep like you were going to remove the wheel. Is that normal? How do you fix this? COuld it be related to the creaking noise?

Thanks

qwert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
gigihurt

That is the end play and is not very much to worry about. The axles are held in by a c clip and should be fine for gettin a little dirty. The posi you are refering to if it has not been changed is a trac lock and was an option in 86 with the dana 44. Enjoy driving it as much as you enjoy working on it.
Unread 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
qwert98

Thanks for the quick reply. Is that creaking noise normal with this Trac Lock? I't a metal creaking noise and sounds pretty obnoxious. You could hear it from 30 feet away...
qwert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert98
I just bouhgt a CJ7 - and I bought it with the understanding that you don't just drive a jeep , it's more of a hobby.
I'm glad I wasn't told that as I've been driving my 86 every day for the last 16 years......loving all 200 thousand miles of it. If equipted right, they can be fine daily drivers.

Quote:
1) Did the Dana 44 have posi, or was it added aftermarket? When I lift the rear end off the ground and spin a wheel, the other one spins the same direction. I think that may be why I hear the creaking noise around turns. It's not a ratcheting sound, or the brakes. I assume it may be due to the possi?
From the factory, the late 86 Dana 44 would come in an open diff or a limited slip. If the later, there are clutch packs that work under preload. They work fine (if new or in good shape) for stock tires and light off roading. If there is a broken disk or a spun cross shaft, it could make the noise you describe. Visual investigation is often required.

Quote:
2) Also, the rear wheels have about 1/8 to 1/4" of play. In other words you can push them into and pull them out of the jeep like you were going to remove the wheel. Is that normal? How do you fix this? COuld it be related to the creaking noise?
Thanks
No, 1/8 to 1/4 is way too much end play and a good sign of a bearing that might be failing. There are no C clips in this axle. There is a pressed on bearing collar that holds the bearing on the axle and an end plate the bolts to the axle flange that holds the race in.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
famicom21

86 cj7, a fine vehicle. Bought mine 2 years ago for $750(w/ a plow, needed a clutch. I knew I was buying a fun vehicle, but I didnt know that it was going to be more like joining a family.

p.s. - the work is half the fun : )
famicom21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.