Help Jeep wont idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help Jeep wont idle

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Help Jeep wont idle

I have the dreaded jeep won't idle problem. So I have a remanuf jasper 258 with non feedback carter carb. Team rushed then ignition nuttered recently with no problems after each. Motor was running pretty good up until a couple of days ago. I fixed a leaking mechanical oil gauge fitting. Jeep was idling fine. Then noticed the TAC door flap was closed so I started looking into the vacuum lines. So I guess I still have a bunch of crap vacuum lines from the emissions stuff still hooked up, not sure it is right due to not even having a feedback carb when I bought it. It was hooked up to one of the vacuum solenoids on top of the valve cover since I didn't really know where it went at the time and it worked for a while. So I decided to try to find a place on a another line and t in. I did and when I restarted it worked. I then started looking at maybe cleaning up some other lines so I disconnected the line going to the 10" vacuum switch and capped it. Restarted and would not idle now. I thought I put it back together the way it was and still the same problem.

So I went to start it this morning and it cranks right up, with choke on and runs good until choke is about almost off and engine is warm, then sputters and dies. Will run good as long as I is above 1500 rpms with the gas pressed. Let off the sputters and dies.

What the heck did I do? Did I pull something off important when I removed the TAC to get a look at the carb and tug on the vacuum lines to trace them. I didn't make a bunch of changes all at once and I thought I got it back together the way it was after. Now it may be just in my head but I did have a slight sputter earlier in the week one time and it did seem to be slightly more rough when cold- this week- but the choke seemed to be coming off quicker than normal- maybe because it has not been as cold? But surely since it was running ok minutes before I have inadvertently done something? Any ideas to start with. I should have time tomorrow or the next day to really look at it, so far I have not, but I couldn't see anything but I was a little panicked and rushed for time when it happened

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

If this sounds like a vacuum problem does it mean it could be off a line coming off CTO? Since it is ok until warm. Am I right am that this doesn't open until 115 f. Or am I confused with something else? I will check with adventures under the hood for diagrams when able

Unread 04-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The emulsion tubes in the venturi cluster may be clogged. The brass tubes.
image-1861776820.jpg  
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The choke richens thing up after the choke fully opens its lean enough to cause problems.

What are your fuel mixture screws set to?

The flapper valves on the aircleaner should be hooked to manifold source. Then the temp switch in the aircleaner house opens and closed them.
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Ill check that. Have tuned it since I got Was working up to it. Question is would a tuning problem just show up suddenly like this problem did?

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Well I backed my idle mix screws to 5 turns out and jeep started and ran. I have been hearing this hissing noise and started to look and my pcv vacuum line had a big crack in it. Replaced it. Now I am able to turn the mix stews back in. They started at 2.5 turns out. I turned them back in to about 3 now. Now my idle is acting funny. First it was idling pretty good. Then it want to hold high at about 1500 rpms in park instead of going down to curb idle of 1000. Sometimes it would drop by itself, sometimes it would have to be out in gear, then when returned to park the idle would be normal. A little later it was pulsing at a lot lower than the set curb idle both in gear and in park. Maybe more vacuum problems? I slowly working it out.

Unread 04-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When it idles high can you pull back on the throttle and slow it down?

Is the choke open all the way and not causing the fast idle cam raise idle?

More vacuum leaks. If non of the above.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
When it idles high can you pull back on the throttle and slow it down?

Is the choke open all the way and not causing the fast idle cam raise idle?

More vacuum leaks. If non of the above.
Tried to pull back on throttle. All the way back

Choke all the way off

I'm guessing more vacuum leaks. Also I believe the evap canister purge signal is not hooked up right. I slowly getting it all sorted out.

Unread 05-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

I started a new thread with different question so for the conclusion see the is thread. Basically egr was on manifold vacuum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wh...-drop-1515964/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.