Help identifying a part - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help identifying a part

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
kosburn
1979 CJ7 

Help identifying a part

I have a CJ7 that my son and I are working on. Prior to today it has been running but today refuses to start ... turning the ignition yields nothing but a click. Initially, I thought the battery was bad, then the solenoid but trying them out on my other jeep they are working properly. Not knowing much about engines/electrical I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I need to check next....

Looking at the picture, I noticed the object that I have circled and after putting my hand on it I noticed it was warm/hot. What is this called and would it possible be causing the jeep to not start?

Thanks in advance for your help!jeep1.jpg

kosburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

That box looks like the ignition module. It sounds like your issue is that the starter doesn't spin. If that's the case, the module won't be the cause.

Double check all the connections both to the battery and starter. If they are all good, and the battery and solenoid are good, remove the starter and bench test it.

Connect a jumper cable to the negative battery post and clamp the other end to one of the ears on the starter. Then connect a jumper cable to the positive battery post and touch the other end to the threaded copper stud on the starter. If it doesn't spin that way, the starter is toast.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

when you turn the key, the key is mechanical, it pushes a rod down the column unto an electrical switch that engage the starter, a lot of time the rod and the electrical switch will get out of adjustment
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
kosburn
1979 CJ7 

Solved: Moneypit you were spot on! I had just about decided the starter was the culprit so I removed it and took it to O'Reilly's and had it tested. It was bad. So, thank you -- you know your jeep parts!

I was curious about the ignition module because it looks like something had "leaked" out of it ... I thought it was capacitance gel. Just to be safe I've ordered another one.

Again, I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
That box looks like the ignition module. It sounds like your issue is that the starter doesn't spin. If that's the case, the module won't be the cause.

Double check all the connections both to the battery and starter. If they are all good, and the battery and solenoid are good, remove the starter and bench test it.

Connect a jumper cable to the negative battery post and clamp the other end to one of the ears on the starter. Then connect a jumper cable to the positive battery post and touch the other end to the threaded copper stud on the starter. If it doesn't spin that way, the starter is toast.
kosburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Yup most defenatly the ignition module. Its a prestolite ignition which is terrible on its own but would not cause issues turning over. Your issue lies in the battery, battery cables, solenoid, wire from solenoid to starter or ground, or the starter itself.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

No problem! I'm glad you got it taken care of!

Those modules are "potted" usually in polyurethane and it can get pretty warm. If it was leaking though, it's just a matter of time before it goes out. Good call.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.