HELP!! I need help understanding how a oversize 21 gallon tank hooks up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HELP!! I need help understanding how a oversize 21 gallon tank hooks up!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

HELP!! I need help understanding how a oversize 21 gallon tank hooks up!

Okay I am a bit baffled but I have yet to pull out my old one so that may answer a few of my questions.

1. There are two brass outlets on the left side of the tank. I know one goes to the engine fuel pump where does the other go? I know one isn't a vent because the vent and the fill are next to each other.

2. The Metal Brackets the "extend the skid plate"? How do they attach? This seems puzzeling!

3. Finally the damn strap that "goes across the top" seems way to damn big to fit over the tank?

If anyone has any in sight I would appreciate it but I do think its BS that this gas tank upgrade came with basically no directions I mean I have a sheet with maybe a paragraph of writing on it. Pretty damn pathetic what happened to detailed directions with pictures?

LOL

Brian

CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
hotmix

I don't know anything about the straps or mounting but the other fitting is for the fuel return from the fuel pump.
hotmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmix
I don't know anything about the straps or mounting but the other fitting is for the fuel return from the fuel pump.

Yeah but there isn't a return on my fuel pump? Its a small block chevy and no place for a return on it.
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
rwcloukey

when you drop your old fuel tank in this case it should be blocked off. What Im saying is that your orig. tank has those same fittings so just hook up whatever is already there to your new one. But Im pretty sure it should be blocked. As far as the rest cant help ya
diamond dash
rwcloukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
MR.CJ-7

The return comes from the fuel filter. If you get one for a stock CJ (mine is an AMC 304) it will have one inlet(pump side) and two outlets(carb side) The feed to the carb is the larger diameter, the smaller diameter returns to the tank. Make sure the return is oriented facing up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.