Help!!! I need a head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help!!! I need a head

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
capejeepguy67
1979 CJ7 

Help!!! I need a head

I have a '79 CJ7 with a stock 4.2 and 3 spd stick. I want to do a 4.0 conversion but I need to get an intake manifold that will fit the 4.0 AND accept the brand new 2 barrel carb I bought for the 4.2. I just discovered that I have burnt valves on the 4.2 head. I want to covert to the 4.0. Also...I have a new set of heddman headers on this thing but they won't fit a 4.0 head. Any suggestions on what headers I can use that will work for the 4.0 head? I don't have o2 sensors on this engine so....not sure what to do. I need to get this thing up and running asap. Any help, suggestions, ideas, websites, etc, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CapeJeepGuy

capejeepguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

There aren't any 242ci manifolds that will accept a carburettor as they are - you'll have to have an adapter plate made. Make it an inch or so thick so you have enough room to taper into the throttle body bore (thicker is better - up to a point. Besides, getting aluminum thicker than three inches is going to be a killer!)

You can probably use any header for the XJ/MJ/TJ/YJ/ZJ - pick one close to what you have. You're probably going to have to get a new downpipe bent up anyhow, so you may as well get as much as you can for your money!

If the carburettor hasn't been installed yet, you may want to consider returning it and converting to MPFI at the same time as the head swap - you'll pick up fuel economy and you're likely to run better. Just sayin'...
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Your 258 intake will fit on the 4.0 head with a little help. Check out a post by Mike Romman? he has done and it it simple. A lot of the 4.0 swap info will also tell you how to grind it to for the pins. Search dont seem to be working now for me.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the intake and exhaust manifolds that bolt together you will need a later style intake. I am running a 4.0 head on my 258 with a renix 4.0 exhaust manifold and my 258 intake. I did not have to modify the intake but I did have to put a little dent in the center (#3&4) exhaust runners so everything cleared properly.
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
ihavetheWILLto
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyarea View Post
If you have the intake and exhaust manifolds that bolt together you will need a later style intake. I am running a 4.0 head on my 258 with a renix 4.0 exhaust manifold and my 258 intake. I did not have to modify the intake but I did have to put a little dent in the center (#3&4) exhaust runners so everything cleared properly.
- Didn't have to modify my 258 intake either to fit the head. As I recall I did have to do some slight modifications to the power steering pump bracket to bolt it back up to the intake however.
1977 CJ7 (Original Equipment: Frame) Currie 9 inch axles front and rear with 4.56 gears and chromoly shafts, Rear ARB Locker, Front Detroit Locker, rear Ford Explorer disc brakes, Ballistic Fab high steer, Mile Marker SS hubs, SOA, YJ Springs, 5.3 Vortec, SM465, D300...and more to come such as Metalcloak fenders, fiberglass tub, and....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wills-outdoor-south-florida-build-1122733/"]My Build Thread[/URL]
ihavetheWILLto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I had to add about 1/2~3/4'' to the height of the power steering bracket to get it fit.
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
capejeepguy67
1979 CJ7 

I can't find the Mike Romman page you're talking about. The "search" thing doesn't work for me cuz I'm not a "paying member" (which seems foolish, but whatever). If someone can post the link for me OR....email it to me (you can PM me and I'll give you my email addy) I'd appreciate it. I'm not too familar with the different body styles (YJ/TJ...etc...) Mine is a CJ7. The 4.0 head I have is from a 2000 Cherokee with MPFI. I can't use MPFI because I have no PCM, no harness, no fuel rail, etc....and the kit is over $2,000.....can't afford it. If I can find out how to modify my 4.2 intake to fit the 4.0....I'd happily do it. Then I can just buy another set of headers and move on...lol. Thanks for the help, gang.
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
ihavetheWILLto
1977 CJ7 

I can't find the write up I used to do mine...and I don't have 25 posts so I can't post any pictures. If you like PM me with your email and I can at least send you a picture of the 4.0 head with the correct water jackets JB welded.
1977 CJ7 (Original Equipment: Frame) Currie 9 inch axles front and rear with 4.56 gears and chromoly shafts, Rear ARB Locker, Front Detroit Locker, rear Ford Explorer disc brakes, Ballistic Fab high steer, Mile Marker SS hubs, SOA, YJ Springs, 5.3 Vortec, SM465, D300...and more to come such as Metalcloak fenders, fiberglass tub, and....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wills-outdoor-south-florida-build-1122733/"]My Build Thread[/URL]
ihavetheWILLto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
greyarea
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a good write up.

4.2L Head Conversion: Off-Road.com
Unread 09-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Fatman had a 4.0 clearwater head on his 258. Sure his build is on here somewhere. Not real sure why if I search for 4.0 head swap or 4.0 head nothing comes up. But it I type in clearwater all this comes up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...archid=9180827
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
capejeepguy67
1979 CJ7 

Yes....I've seen the write up on the 4.2 conversion.....the dealer (Koller dodge) doesn't sell the kit anymore and they claim the kit is on 2 year backorder IF even available. Clearwater Cylinder Head out of Florida seems to be a knowledgeable outfit but their knowledge IS limited on this conversion. I do have a 4.0 head off of a 2000 Cherokee that I THINK is good...we'll soon see..lol. Maybe someone out there in JeepForum will "stumble" on Fatman's build or someone elses and "pass it on". Till then....I'm still investigating. Thanks to all of you.

Chris
Unread 12-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
capejeepguy67
1979 CJ7 

Update on the CJ7 that was getting a 4.0 head: The years have gone by & I decided to do a V-8 swap on the CJ. It now boasts a '92 Corvette LT1 engine with Bowtie intake/carb conversion. I'm running a 65,000 volt HEI distributor (yep, the OptiSpark got deleted), "block hugger" headers, the original Tremec 3 spd stick, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 2 piece rear, Dana 20 t-case & 35" tires with a total of 6" of lift. I'm sure I'll catch flack about going with a carb but it came with the engine when I bought it (a '92 LT1 already converted to carb & 12,000 miles on fresh rebuild) & this rig never sees rock crawling or anything like that so worrying about carb angle won't be a problem. It's a "toy" plain & simple. I drive down the beach with it & take the wife & kids for ice cream. I'd post pics but it seems I have to upgrade my "membership" to do so.
Unread 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the update, even if it's 4 years late.

You have to have a certain number of post to upload pics, here. Until then, use a hosting site, like Photobucket, and post the links.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
capejeepguy67
1979 CJ7 

better late than never lol. Guess you guys will never see pics of it as I'm not here very often & to be honest, I don't feel I should have to "upgrade" to premium membership just to gain extra benefits. I figured with all the advertisements this site promotes, you'd get all the money you need for operational expenses, but maybe it's just me. . As far as Photobucket is concerned, I had it in the past but once they started charging for use & offered no actual benefits, I dropped them. So, I guess you will just have to use your imaginations.
Unread 12-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Had to do a double take on this thread's title, had to clean my keyboard of the coffee I spat
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.