Help, Howell efi Chip - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help, Howell efi Chip

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The light can be an LED light. I used one on mine as they are very small and unobtrusive.

I doubt that the tach filter or teamrush is going to change anything. If the tach filter was the problem it wouldn't run, period. The teamrush upgrade isn't going to change a thing with the EFI system, which is where the problem lies.
Light Emiding Diode, Howell says Do Not Use because its a Diode

Gasman303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
VPfrom403
1982 CJ5 

If you have a header- heated O2 sensor might help.
VPfrom403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Idle control looks like it wasn't closing correctly, looks like it scorned on top of tapered nose?
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Retake
image.jpg  
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I thought one of the benefits of FI was that it compensates for altitude changes automatically.

So, is there a high altitude chip, or not?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I agree, Matt, but I swear to God Howell sent me an "elevation chip" when I told them I lived at altitude. I had to pay extra for the Cali chip, which I use anyway. The elevation chip is sitting in a drawer somewhere.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Damn, I hope I'm never forced to stick FI on my CJ.

Friggen computers suck.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The map sensor should compensate for any change in altitude. It may even be a baro-map where it also knows barometric pressure.

To me it sounds like its running rich. And since its ok at a cold warmup it could be the coolant temp sensor is bad and keeping the fuel map in enrichment mode. Which is 150%

It be good to pull some plugs. If they are dark its rich. Could also be a O2 sensor. You have a 4 wire sensor, correct?

How long had it run ok before this happened.

You need to buy a scanner that reads live data. Innova makes a few models that read OBD1 with live data. Its the only way to work on fuel injection.

The "when in doubt swap it out" or the "hope and poke" method of trouble shooting only goes so far.

Installing FI on a old CJ is great. But there are tools you will need to own to fix it. A scan tool and a good multi-meter. Those two are the thing you will need and know how to use to test sensors.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The map sensor should compensate for any change in altitude. It may even be a baro-map where it also knows barometric pressure.

To me it sounds like its running rich. And since its ok at a cold warmup it could be the coolant temp sensor is bad and keeping the fuel map in enrichment mode. Which is 150%

It be good to pull some plugs. If they are dark its rich. Could also be a O2 sensor. You have a 4 wire sensor, correct?

How long had it run ok before this happened.

You need to buy a scanner that reads live data. Innova makes a few models that read OBD1 with live data. Its the only way to work on fuel injection.

The "when in doubt swap it out" or the "hope and poke" method of trouble shooting only goes so far.

Installing FI on a old CJ is great. But there are tools you will need to own to fix it. A scan tool and a good multi-meter. Those two are the thing you will need and know how to use to test sensors.
Yes it's a 4 wire O2

I bought the jeep knowing it had issues which I was able to fix by replacing fuel pump, filter, and soaked the O2 sensor in Sea Foam....this is all over the past 5 months it ran smooth after all that and now this!

I went out to start the jeep but this time I did not wait for the fuel pump to shut off, I jumped in the jeep started it and drove away ( late for softball game) and after that I got 3 blocks away and she died at the stop light?

I now think it could be the O2 sensor covered in black soot again, but because of running rich....hmmmm? I'll check this in the morning before work! thanks
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
VPfrom403
1982 CJ5 

Sea foam - that stuff is like black pepper or sarcasm - just sprinkle it on everything
VPfrom403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Hmm...I'm wondering about the ECM myself - Troy may be on to something.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman303

Yes it's a 4 wire O2

I bought the jeep knowing it had issues which I was able to fix by replacing fuel pump, filter, and soaked the O2 sensor in Sea Foam....this is all over the past 5 months it ran smooth after all that and now this!

I went out to start the jeep but this time I did not wait for the fuel pump to shut off, I jumped in the jeep started it and drove away ( late for softball game) and after that I got 3 blocks away and she died at the stop light?

I now think it could be the O2 sensor covered in black soot again, but because of running rich....hmmmm? I'll check this in the morning before work! thanks
Without a check engine light and a scantool to read live data you are flying blind.

If the O2 sensor was covered in soot what do the plugs look like? Black as well.

It can run rich for a few things.

It could be temp sensor not telling the PCM its up to temp.

a bad fuel injector (leaking by).

the heater part of the O2 sensor not working. Be it from a blown fuse (if so why did it blow), PO never hooked it up. A O2 sensor reading below .5v is a lean condition where it will add more fuel. And above .5v it considered rich and takes it away. With a dead O2 sensor its passing a low voltage or nothing at all. Which will cause the PCM to continue to add more and more fuel to achieve a reading of .5 or above. Don't clean it buy a new one.

A bad sensor ground.

Do you have headers or a stock exhaust manifold?
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #28
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Without a check engine light and a scantool to read live data you are flying blind.

If the O2 sensor was covered in soot what do the plugs look like? Black as well.

It can run rich for a few things.

It could be temp sensor not telling the PCM its up to temp.

a bad fuel injector (leaking by).

the heater part of the O2 sensor not working. Be it from a blown fuse (if so why did it blow), PO never hooked it up. A O2 sensor reading below .5v is a lean condition where it will add more fuel. And above .5v it considered rich and takes it away. With a dead O2 sensor its passing a low voltage or nothing at all. Which will cause the PCM to continue to add more and more fuel to achieve a reading of .5 or above. Don't clean it buy a new one.

A bad sensor ground.

Do you have headers or a stock exhaust manifold?
Stock manifold!

The plugs were fauld out full of soot!

I'm going to look for a 12v indicator light non led tomorrow so I can see what code it gives me! In the mean time I think I better order a obd1 scanner too, I'll let you know what I find, thanks
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Dude you need the SES light hooked up for sure. Any 12v light socket with 2 wires and bulb will work. Also you need to check for vacuum leaks, if you have a slight vacuum leak your MAP sensor will be relaying bad info to the ECM thus making you run rich. I just went through this getting my buddies jeep running with the Howell set up. I had a huge vacuum leak because of the intake manifold hitting the new header just enough in 3 spots to not make a proper seal to the head. I was fouling plugs in less than a minute and the jeep would die. When i pulled the plugs they were black as black can be.
Look into it but a scan tool would also be a big help. You will figure it out.
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #30
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

With a stock manifold that's where your O2 sensor is, correct?

Cheep sensors make for a cheep fuel injection system know matter who put the package together and said its for your jeep.

A original GM map is one thing you should have. Any GM car or truck will have one. Get a few spares next time you go junking. (As long as GM is stamped on them)

If the previous owner installed the Howell and never got it running correctly you may need to go over the whole thing.

Are you still using the heated intake manifold and the grid heater?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.