JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Help, Howell efi Chip (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/help-howell-efi-chip-1561445/)

Gasman303 08-12-2013 05:38 PM

Help, Howell efi Chip

1 Attachment(s)
My jeep is a 1983 258 with howell TBI system. I'm curious to why my jeep is running the California chip instead of High altitude Colorado chip? The original owner of the jeep was from Colorado but not sure who did the efi install?

What issues would I have by running the California chip on this jeep at 6,228 feet elevation? Do I just need to order the high altitude chip or?

outdoorguy86 08-12-2013 05:44 PM

Is the jeep running poorly? If not, why mess with it. The computer is designed to "learn" as you drive and adjust a little to compensate. You prob have the CA version with all the emmisions components on it (vss, cto, etc)

CSP 08-12-2013 07:23 PM

High altitude chip?

I've seen/heard people mention it on these forums, yet a conversation with Troy Howell said it doesn't exist. Any TBI chip should run properly from below sea level to WAY above it.

The previous owner had to have purchased the CA legal kit to have that CA eProm chip.

Gasman303 08-12-2013 08:11 PM

No the jeep has starting running poorly AGAIN....

outdoorguy86 08-12-2013 08:18 PM

Can you be a little more specific about what it is doing? I fought with mine for a long time before finding out it was the tach filter

Gasman303 08-12-2013 08:59 PM

With the jeep sitting all day I will get in start it up, it starts up just fine, and idles just fine but after about 3-5 minutes of warm up my tach (after market tach) goes from 1,200 (cold start) settles down to 900 then starts to sputter like it wants to die dropping to 400 rpm, then jumps back up to 900 for a few seconds and then back down... Eventually it just dies and I have to hold pedal all the way down to the floor to get it to start back up and rev the #%ss out of it to clear the excess fuel it dumps in after it dies!

I took it for a ride yesterday and everytime I came to a stop it wanted to die, so I would drop it into second gear pop the clutch and it would fire back up but I would have to keep the rpm's running high to get it to run and get me back home!

I litterly have to stay above 2,000 for it to run but then the missing starts along with the motor shaking, almost like my ignition system is misfiring?! I recently ordered the tach choke from howell to run a msd6al module and I'm going Team Roush upgrade distributed Cap.... I hope this fixes it, very frustrating!

walkerhoundvm 08-12-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSP (Post 15787158)
High altitude chip?

I've seen/heard people mention it on these forums, yet a conversation with Troy Howell said it doesn't exist. Any TBI chip should run properly from below sea level to WAY above it.

The previous owner had to have purchased the CA legal kit to have that CA eProm chip.

Swear to God they sold me an altitude chip in addition to the California chip. I'm running the Cali chip, and I agree any TBI chip should run properly at most any elevation. And if not, it'll adjust to some degree over time.

The OPs problem sounds like some sort of oxygen leak or something - are your manifolds tight? How's your fuel filter? Any codes coming up on the check engine light?

Gasman303 08-12-2013 09:47 PM

Yeah my bro has a High altitude chip and a Cali chip with his set up! I talked to Howell today and they gave me 3 different chip names now I cant remember them of course?

I pulled throttle body off and the silicone is still tight and has glued gasket to it tight!
I didn't pull the mounting plate off and check it to the manifold yet, tomorrow ill do that!

I have yet to setup a light since I can't find the correct 12v light ( maybe license plate light) at any parts stores here in C Rock, non LED because that's all they sell anymore is LED indicator lights!

jayzcj5 08-13-2013 02:23 AM

Are u talking about the SES (check engine light)? If u haven't done that I would do it before anything else! Sounds to me like a vacuum leak or a bad/sticking idle control valve. It could be any of the sensors and u have no idea which one without the SES light. U could be running on limp mode right now. Did u check all the stupid stuff like fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc...?

Gasman303 08-13-2013 07:17 AM

Yes the SES light! I have to find one that's Non LED and I have yet to find one at a couple of parts stores here in town!

I replaced my map sensor.
I sprayed carb cleaner on every hose and intake/exhaust gasket, didn't find a vacuum leak?!

I have yet to do anything with plugs and wires, I'm upgrading them this weekend when I get a chance and see if that's it!!

I have a inline fuel gauge on supply and it gives me 12-13 psi all day, NEW fuel filter too!

walkerhoundvm 08-13-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasman303 (Post 15788550)
Yes the SES light! I have to find one that's Non LED and I have yet to find one at a couple of parts stores here in town!

psst - look up "CJ Check Engine light" on eBay. You may recognize the seller's handle.

CSP 08-13-2013 07:54 AM

The light can be an LED light. I used one on mine as they are very small and unobtrusive.

I doubt that the tach filter or teamrush is going to change anything. If the tach filter was the problem it wouldn't run, period. The teamrush upgrade isn't going to change a thing with the EFI system, which is where the problem lies.

outdoorguy86 08-13-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSP (Post 15788654)
The light can be an LED light. I used one on mine as they are very small and unobtrusive.

I doubt that the tach filter or teamrush is going to change anything. If the tach filter was the problem it wouldn't run, period. The teamrush upgrade isn't going to change a thing with the EFI system, which is where the problem lies.

I disagree about the tach filter. I fought issues with mine flooding for over a year and thats what it ended up being.

I would say to clean out the idle control, sometimes it builds up carbon in there. You throttle position sensor could be sticking as well. Id check the voltage you are getting from that.

CSP 08-13-2013 10:05 AM

Interesting. I've been under the impression that that tach filter just converted those multiple discharges into one per cylinder per revolution. An MSD "expert" told me that they were either off or on, with no in between.

Gasman303 08-13-2013 05:04 PM

Per howell tech help, they told me that if my tach is doing sparatic things ITS NOT THE HOWELL SYSTEM it's more like the ignition system because howell said that they have nothing to do with ignition just the fuel system?!

If I get a chance tonight I may try and clean the idle control and check the throttle position sencer

The time now is 05:05 AM.