help flywheel/starter problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > help flywheel/starter problem

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Bert49

help flywheel/starter problem

Maybe someone has seen this before
I have a 81 cj7 258 sr4 it needed a clutch. I have a project 81 cj parts jeep that looks to have a 84 motor installed 258 sr4 that had a new ,pressure plate clutch and trans installed. and a resurfaced flywheel
I take the flywheel to transfer case out of the project and put it all in my driver and now its eating the starter gear. it starts and runs and everything works but the starter is loud when engaged and chewing the gear up. I changed the starter already and I dont know the history of all the parts other than they look all new or close to it. Bad ring gear maybe?
Thanks for your input

Bert49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Did you have a couple of dowels locating the gearbox to engine?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Bert49

yes one on the bell one on the engine. I may have found the problem. The original starter has a ford stamp on it and I didnt really look at the teeth before I did the swap. I replaced it with the sarter out of the parts Jeep and it looks like a Amc. I started it a few times and the gear still looked good when I pulled it back out, I'm going to try a few days an see if that cured it.
Bert49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.