Help finding replacement transmission - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help finding replacement transmission

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The marks on the outside 'sleeve' are normal from the T/O bearing 'riding' on it.
Your 'trusted-shop', sounds like crooks to me.........
LG

Unread 08-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
How much front to back and then side to side play do you have with the input shaft.
I do not see any issue in your picture to warrant a new case.
Tranny shops are in business to MAKE $$$.
Pull the bearing retainer off, and lets have a looky see........
You also have two end-shaft ports that you can see that are KNOWN areas for leaks. A good shop packs them with silicone sealer when the tranny is installed.
What oil was used?
LG
Hey LG!
Wow, your comment "You also have 2 end-shaft ports that you can see that are KNOWN areas for leaks" ... makes me very nervous about the diagnosis of the shop. I do trust them as far as being honest, i.e. they are not a tranny shop and they don't have and can't find a tranny for me. Now I'm just worried that they don't know what they're talking about on this. I haven't seen the tranny, but I think he was describing that the bearing retainer in the front at the 7:00 o'clock position from the input shaft had worn/damaged the case and that's why I needed a new tranny. You mean you think I just might have needed silicone sealer there? I do want to withhold judgment as I haven't seen it yet; the picture above was taken just before installing the tranny during my restoration ... probably 2 years ago. Granted, it doesn't have many miles on it, but I don't have pics of the tranny now removed from the Jeep. I will post some when I get it back; in the meantime, I'll just try to look at this as an upgrade opportunity as I think I've found a used T176 and am planning to pick it up today! Although, seeing the post from 82JeepCJ7 above makes me question T176 vs. T18?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and I am very interested in anything else you might think to add on the matter.

Best regards - :cheers2
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
T-18 and never look back.
Hey 82JeepCJ7!

Ah, so you're good T5 was from swapping out to the T18? What do you think about T18 vs. T176? Despite the fact that you're so far away, I was considering buying that T5 from you ... until I sort of decided I'd had it with them and wanted to upgrade. At this point though, I think I've found a supposed good T176 to go with ... and it includes a D300 ... so, I'm thinking (really hoping) that I can't go wrong ... famous last words - right?

Best regards -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

And ... a quick search revealed someone else asking the same question a few years ago ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Renegade View Post
I'm going to swap the SR4 that came with my '82 7 with either a T-176 or T-18. I understand that the T-18 is much more heavy duty, but that the T-176 is a good medium duty box with a solid history.
The only offroading I do these days is in deep sand at the beach and I never see rocks or hills (East Coast). An old thread said the that T-18 is almost like a 3spd around town, as the first gear is so low it has little function outside of crawling. Would you guys support the logic that the T-176 makes more sense for around town economy and sand wheeling?

Thanks
... and provided a few informative answers on the question of T18 vs. T176. Here's one ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
The T176 is a great tranny, even if it is considered medium duty. For your needs I would suggest going with a T176/177/178 with the Dana 300. It is much lighter than the T18. Not sure what size tires you are running or lift, but if you go over 32's I would plan a future regearing on your differentials to have a better setup.

T18's with the granny low 1st are great, but you could also find one with the 4.?? first gear ratio and it would handle the same as the T176, just a heavier transmission.
Man, I love this forum!! And, Thank you Bard!

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
Hey 82JeepCJ7!

Ah, so you're good T5 was from swapping out to the T18? What do you think about T18 vs. T176? Despite the fact that you're so far away, I was considering buying that T5 from you ... until I sort of decided I'd had it with them and wanted to upgrade. At this point though, I think I've found a supposed good T176 to go with ... and it includes a D300 ... so, I'm thinking (really hoping) that I can't go wrong ... famous last words - right?

Best regards -
John

Hopefully the T176 is a good one. I bought this T-5 with an attached D300 for the T-case so I would have a spare. I keep tripping over the combo in my garage. I separated the two to make it easier to handle and store. I finally went with a T-18 (back in 1998) after the T-5 puked 2nd and 3rd gear while on a snow run. There was only a 1/8" difference in length between the T-5 and T-18 so no driveline mods were needed. I never used 5th gear anyway. Plus, I love the granny low when wheeling. Combined with my 4.10 gears, I have a crawl ratio of 68:1.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Before you buy a bell housing for a swap...my 1983 housing already had holes for the T176. I just had to drill and tap the correct size and thread into it. Took about 20 mins.

I did the T5 to T176 swap earlier this year.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Hopefully the T176 is a good one. I bought this T-5 with an attached D300 for the T-case so I would have a spare. I keep tripping over the combo in my garage. I separated the two to make it easier to handle and store. I finally went with a T-18 (back in 1998) after the T-5 puked 2nd and 3rd gear while on a snow run. There was only a 1/8" difference in length between the T-5 and T-18 so no driveline mods were needed. I never used 5th gear anyway. Plus, I love the granny low when wheeling. Combined with my 4.10 gears, I have a crawl ratio of 68:1.
"Hopefully the T176 is a good one." ... Man, AMEN to that!! Well, I'm telling myself that it's worth it as I'll have the D300 spare ...

BTW - your rig sounds awesome ... you should post some pics!

Best regards -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post
Before you buy a bell housing for a swap...my 1983 housing already had holes for the T176. I just had to drill and tap the correct size and thread into it. Took about 20 mins.

I did the T5 to T176 swap earlier this year.
Hey Capt205!

Actually, the one I found comes with the bell housing ... but, like you, I'm thinking I may already have the holes in my '82 housing.

Are you happy with your T176?

Best regards -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
"Hopefully the T176 is a good one." ... Man, AMEN to that!! Well, I'm telling myself that it's worth it as I'll have the D300 spare ...

BTW - your rig sounds awesome ... you should post some pics!

John
Here is a link to the build thread with plenty of pics and some background on my Jeep.
http://www.forbiddenjeeps.com/jeep-b...82-cj-7-a.html

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

A 176 is not a t18. The 176 is rated as med. duty at best.
Still want to know what oil you were using. Hope it wasn't ATF.
I've been run'n a T-5 for 28+ yrs and have been very pleased with it.
In your picture, it's not possible to see anything at 7 o'clock......
If your leak was from the input shaft. I think it would be 'wet' and it doesn't appear to be that in your picture.
The lower plug DOES look 'wet' to me.
What did you learn in checking the input shaft 'slop'?
LG
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #26
wm69

T18 is a heavy duty transmission, and will not bolt up to the Dana 300 Tcase without $$$ adapters. The T18 is a stronger transmission, but the T176 is easier to drive (T18 has a non-syncronized 1st gear).

For the non-monster truck, the T176 is the cheapest, easiest transmission to upgrade from a SR4, T4, or T5.

You will have to either buy new driveshafts or have yours shortened/lengthened, and you'll need transmission, tcase, adapter between them (if you're buying a set, it's there), bellhousing, and tunnel cover with shifter boots. Your skidplate will work, but you'll have to move it up a bit. There are different sets of bolt holes already in the frame to allow it to be put in different places for different transmissions.

I'd get the T176.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Hey Capt205!

Actually, the one I found comes with the bell housing ... but, like you, I'm thinking I may already have the holes in my '82 housing.

Are you happy with your T176?

Best regards -
John
Yes, very happy. With the 35" KM2's and 4.56 gears...it runs very nice, and crawls nice too. The T5 needed rebuilt, I really only wanted a 4 speed and I scored the T176 for a fair price on eBay, so I bought it., and did the swap while I was doing the lift. The eBay trans did not need a thing except the shifter cup kit, as that was missing...even came with the shifter AND the T-case adaptor.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #28
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
For the weak truck, the T176 is the cheapest, easiest transmission to upgrade from a SR4, T4, or T5.
Fixed it fer ya....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
wm69

Ha, I know the T176 is no T18, but given the price of adapters to mate the T18 to a Dana 300, it's just not worth it to me. If you're gonna have to buy all those pricey adapters you can get a NV3550 or NV4500 and have OD.

Now you find a T18 from a Scout that will mate to the Dana 300? Yeah, go for it.

I've seen a T176 hold up to a 351 with 35's and an idiot driving it, so they're not weak. They're not a T18, but they're most certainly not a weak transmission, and they ARE the cheapest, easiest swap that can be done without shelling out an arm and a leg for adapters, and the T176 is plenty strong for the type of use that 90% of the Jeeps on the forums see.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

An adapter kit for a 2wd T-18 to a Dana 300 is only $515. Less than half of rebuilding a weak transmission. I picked up my T-18 at a pull-a-part for $50 and installed the kit myself (easy to do.) In the end, you end up with a bulletproof transmission you will never have to worry about.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.