JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Help finding replacement transmission (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/help-finding-replacement-transmission-1567490/)

Sherms-CJ7 08-26-2013 07:01 PM

Help finding replacement transmission

1 Attachment(s)
Happy to have my '82 CJ7 back on the road after doing a frame-off resto, but was very bummed to find a puddle under the tranny (a rebuilt T5) a couple of months ago :brickwall. I just haven't had the time to mess with it myself, so I took it in to a trusted shop. Oh, what a bummer, I was told that the bearing that presses into the housing in the front has ... basically worn/damaged the housing (I think). It's the part at the 7:00 position from the input shaft, but I don't think you can really see it in this pic ...
Attachment 661658

I was told that due to the wear of the housing, I actually need to replace the entire transmission ... and while this was a rebuilt tranny (T5) that I'd had installed a few years ago, it probably doesn't even have 20k miles on it. Anyway, does anybody have any recommendations on where I can or should get a T5?

Here's a link to one on eBay, a remanufactured unit for $795 ... but is that good price, is that a ripoff?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...4edbef&vxp=mtr

And, after reading from an article titled "Weak transmissions of the 1980's" ... http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/m...112/#post97093
... I am very much considering a T-176 or a T-18, or whatever you might recommend. It's just that a T5 would probably get me back on the road quicker ... man, I don't know what to do here ... :dunno:

Best regards - :cheers2:
John

petey156 08-26-2013 07:38 PM

I believe that the t-4 is the same size.... I think...

Also there are a few transmission cases on eBay, Maybe have the tranny shop swap your internal parts to a new case...

Sherms-CJ7 08-26-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petey156 (Post 15839796)
I believe that the t-4 is the same size.... I think...

Also there are a few transmission cases on eBay, Maybe have the tranny shop swap your internal parts to a new case...

Thanks - Yeah, I was thinking about that ... I just didn't see any T5 cases there ...

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Best regards ... :cheers2:
John

Boover 08-26-2013 08:18 PM

Check Craigslist and junkyards. They're always a good bet for finding that sort of thing. Also call any offroad/hot rod shops in the area. If they don't have one they might know someone who does.

78FordF150 08-26-2013 08:28 PM

If your going to keep the six, I would just look for another T5 and be done with it. If a V8 is in the future might as well upgrade to a better tranny now than waste time and effort to do it again later.

Sherms-CJ7 08-26-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boover (Post 15839995)
Check Craigslist and junkyards. They're always a good bet for finding that sort of thing. Also call any offroad/hot rod shops in the area. If they don't have one they might know someone who does.

Thank you Boover - I didn't try Craigslist, but I certainly will. Also, I'll get on the phone with offroad/shops first thing tomorrow ... was just hoping somebody here might be in my area in Northern VA and might have a lead on a shop they like/trust ...

Sherms-CJ7 08-26-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78FordF150 (Post 15840051)
If your going to keep the six, I would just look for another T5 and be done with it. If a V8 is in the future might as well upgrade to a better tranny now than waste time and effort to do it again later.

Thank you much 78Ford150, that's really good advice, i.e. knowing that I'll be fine sticking with the T5 if I keep my I6, which I will be keeping for quite some time. I was considering dumping the T5 as ... I just haven't had very good luck with 'em ... this will be my 3rd :brickwall

Thanks for your response!

John

82JeepCJ7 08-26-2013 09:17 PM

I have a good T-5 laying on my garage floor, but shipping it to there would cost more than a new one....

BagusJeep 08-26-2013 09:35 PM

As you are thinking of spending bucks why not change the T5 and get the T176?

It is a 4 speed, so does not have the overdrive 5th, but is shorter and stronger and more suited to a CJ. There are plenty out there so it is a low cost option to buy, rebuild and fit and should fit within your budget. Lots of more exotic choices out there but you would need to spend more bucks.

The weakness of the T5 is the long alumium case and flexing in a CJ and the rear short rear driveshaft needed due to that long case. It is characterised as a light car transmission but has been used in a lot of performance saloon cars. It is just not suited to a CJ.

To change over you need a T176 (obviously), the clutch housing, front and rear propshafts and the transmission tunnel cover and boots. If you get one in reasonable shape you could just fit it but rebuilds are not too onerous as long as you can get access to a press. This is a medium duty transmission and will last a long time with irregular fluid changes. With that shorter case it allows a longer rear driveshaft and better angles, especially if you want to put in a lift.

As to getting yourself back on the road quickly, I hear that!! But the only additional work in fitting the T176 is a few bolts on the driveshafts and changing the transmisison tunnel cover which is about 10 screws. Of course nothing is quite as simple as that but do not be discouraged from looking at a T176/177 kit by thoughts of long days under the CJ cursing the Jeep gods.

Just a thought.....

Boover 08-26-2013 11:06 PM

If you're tired of the T5 go for the T176. Ratios are great for driving around town. I priced one for $350 in Tennessee the other day. Add in $125 for a rebuild kit and you're good to go.

Sherms-CJ7 08-27-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagusJeep
As you are thinking of spending bucks why not change the T5 and get the T176?

It is a 4 speed, so does not have the overdrive 5th, but is shorter and stronger and more suited to a CJ. There are plenty out there so it is a low cost option to buy, rebuild and fit and should fit within your budget. Lots of more exotic choices out there but you would need to spend more bucks.

The weakness of the T5 is the long alumium case and flexing in a CJ and the rear short rear driveshaft needed due to that long case. It is characterised as a light car transmission but has been used in a lot of performance saloon cars. It is just not suited to a CJ.

To change over you need a T176 (obviously), the clutch housing, front and rear propshafts and the transmission tunnel cover and boots. If you get one in reasonable shape you could just fit it but rebuilds are not too onerous as long as you can get access to a press. This is a medium duty transmission and will last a long time with irregular fluid changes. With that shorter case it allows a longer rear driveshaft and better angles, especially if you want to put in a lift.

As to getting yourself back on the road quickly, I hear that!! But the only additional work in fitting the T176 is a few bolts on the driveshafts and changing the transmisison tunnel cover which is about 10 screws. Of course nothing is quite as simple as that but do not be discouraged from looking at a T176/177 kit by thoughts of long days under the CJ cursing the Jeep gods.

Just a thought.....

Hey BagusJeep!

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond so thoroughly and for laying out what I would need to do to change over to a T176, which I am now very much considering. One other thing I think I would need .... a different skid plate. And, believe it or not, I have one ... it was on the used replacement frame that I went with. Not sure what you mean about needing the clutch housing though ... you mean the bell housing? I would expect my bell housing would be fine as the T5 didn't match up right, so I was thinking it would work for either? I do understand how I would need new front and rear prop shafts, which is where the cost starts to really increase. Still, I'll start looking into finding one ...

Thanks again! Best regards - :cheers2:
John

Sherms-CJ7 08-27-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boover
If you're tired of the T5 go for the T176. Ratios are great for driving around town. I priced one for $350 in Tennessee the other day. Add in $125 for a rebuild kit and you're good to go.

Thanks again Boover! I am going to start looking for a T176, just hope I can find one nearby ... and fast!

John

Sherms-CJ7 08-27-2013 08:43 PM

Trolling Craigslist and eBay for a T176 ... things are not looking up ...

Have found places selling rebuilt units, but they're wanting $1000 or more + extra ($300 in one case) if you want a warranty ... :doh:

There are a few places selling T5 for similar $$, but I'm real nervous about getting another T5.

T176 ... Bueller, Bueller ... T176 ... Bueller, Bueller ...

:brickwall

82JeepCJ7 08-28-2013 04:41 PM

T-18 and never look back.

LumpyGrits 08-28-2013 04:54 PM

How much front to back and then side to side play do you have with the input shaft.
I do not see any issue in your picture to warrant a new case.
Tranny shops are in business to MAKE $$$.
Pull the bearing retainer off, and lets have a looky see........:thumbsup:
You also have two end-shaft ports that you can see that are KNOWN areas for leaks. A good shop packs them with silicone sealer when the tranny is installed.
What oil was used?
LG

The time now is 12:38 AM.