Help! Feels Like There Is An Earthquake Under My Jeep!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help! Feels Like There Is An Earthquake Under My Jeep!!!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

Help! Feels Like There Is An Earthquake Under My Jeep!!!

So 2nd time this has happened, I start driving and when I hit about 30 the whole world goes to hell. Something goes pop and the entire truck starts shaking violently like there is an 800 pound monkey jumping up and down on the nerf bar. I can see absolutley nothing wrong, the only thing I could think of it being would be maybe the gears in my front axle?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cracked91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Sorry, but not enough info. Does it matter what gear your in? Does it go away as you decelerate or do you need to come to a stop? Can you drive through it and have it smooth back out? General condition of the running gear? Tires? Your profile says you need to replace the front axel. Is there a known issue? Need more input.

Good Luck
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

There is a known issue with the gears in the front axle, but it only comes up in 4 wheel drive. I have never tried to drive it through, and it does not matter what gear. It only stops when I stop. I had a shock mount snap on the drivers side, so I just took the shock off. I plan on replacing it right away, but one missing shock could not cause that could it?
cracked91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Uh, Yeah. I'd bet $50 that you've already found your problem. With no damping device (shock absorber) there is nothing to stop the numerous forces at work while driving from oscillating and compounding. I would suggest a $20 cheapo shock as a bare minimum before driving it again. As, I think it was JeepHammer, once said "The life you save may be mine!"...

Not that I find myself in Arizona very often.
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
bogiemj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just a thought but i would also check the track bar
bogiemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

How's your steering dampener...a good one can help prevent the dreaded "death wobble".

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Sounds like the dreaded "death wobble". This is caused by a number of things.
Bad caster angle
Extended/bad shackles, worn bushings, loose wheel bearings, bad ball joints, bent frame, bad/bent springs.etc......
The bottom line is you will need to start by doing a through inspection of the front end components.This includes the "wiggle test" where you have a buddy move the wheel back and forth while observing for any front end movement. You will want to replace, fix, tighten and repair any issues you find (you should be doing this anyway) When all is said and done any you are confident that all the components are good, you will need to check the caster angle. This can be done professionally or you can purchase a relatively inexpensive tool to check it yourself. You can then purchase the correct angled shims to correct any issues you find.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiemj View Post
Just a thought but i would also check the track bar
Track bar??
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
ZJFABN
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Sounds like the dreaded "death wobble". This is caused by a number of things.
Bad caster angle
Extended/bad shackles, worn bushings, loose wheel bearings, bad ball joints, bent frame, bad/bent springs.etc......
The bottom line is you will need to start by doing a through inspection of the front end components.This includes the "wiggle test" where you have a buddy move the wheel back and forth while observing for any front end movement. You will want to replace, fix, tighten and repair any issues you find (you should be doing this anyway) When all is said and done any you are confident that all the components are good, you will need to check the caster angle. This can be done professionally or you can purchase a relatively inexpensive tool to check it yourself. You can then purchase the correct angled shims to correct any issues you find.

Im surprised you took the time to list it all again.

But yes, this is exactly what you need to do.

Unless you have a lift thats not properly set up then most likely you have a part failure or a wallowed out hole on the track bar axle bracket or a tire problem.
ZJFABN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Bad caster angle doesn't cause wobble... it causes wander.
Leaf spring vehicles don't need and CJs didn't come with track bars (YJ Wranglers did).

Does the wobble start when you hit a bump?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
ZJFABN
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
Leaf spring vehicles don't need and CJs didn't come with track bars (YJ Wranglers did).

oops. I need to look at what their driving more. I do that all the time
ZJFABN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post

Bad caster can indeed indeed cause wobble.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

You know, maybe I'm missing something, and I have to admit that I haven't spent much time drivng around a short wheel-based vehicle without a front shock, but I still have to think that until he gets a shock on the one front corner none of this is going to get any better.

Um, Hello? No front shock here!!! Am I missing something?
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
godfather901
1979 CJ5 

Had the EXACT problem - turned out my rear u-joint (which looked fine) had eaten all it's little internal bearings and was using the cap as a horrible stand in for them - 30 min fix. I'm sure checking all the rest of the front end is a great idea too, but after what you've described change the u-joints.
Unread 12-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Bad caster can indeed indeed cause wobble.
Always ready to learn. How does it cause the wobble?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.