Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help! EROD LS3 into CJ8 in California

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  onemanarmy 
#1 ·
Hi All, I am preparing for an engine change in California. I wanted to put a 5.3L Silverado Vortec in, but after talking to the DMV referee I discovered thats not legal... can't put a medium duty truck engine into a light duty jeep. I asked what I could do and he suggested the EROD LS3 was really the only way.

SO, has anyone done this swap into a CJ or Wrangler and achieved california smog certification. Some of the questions I have:

-Did the manifolds that came stock on the EROD package fit in the frame/steering rod?
-What transmission/controller did you use?
-Did the wiring harness go in OK?
-Did you change the gas tank?
-I have already purchased the Novak adapter kits for all this, has anyone else used this, how did it go?
-If possible would love to talk to someone over the phone to understand more about any issues they ran into.

these are just a few of my initial questions. Thanks a bunch to anyone that can help. If you're in the Bay Area happy to buy you a beer/s for your advice!

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm...

http://drivencarreviews.com/2010/12/gm-e-rod-engine-helps-hot-rodders-clean-up-their-act/

The LS3 6.2L is the 430-hp standard engine in the Chevrolet Corvette and is a fantastic combination of high technology and uncompromising performance. Our LS3 crate engine comes complete, from the Corvette-specific oil pan to the ignition system.

If it really has the corvette exhaust manifolds you might be in luck.
I was planning on using the corvette exhaust on my LS3 conversion in my CJ5.

Might have to do some trimming on the Novak engine mounts.
You might call Novak and see what you can do because of your situation.

Wow, $9,375.00 for the E-ROD package....

#3 ·
Yes, it not really fair, but it is the rules. And it does follow the federal guide lines. The CJ8 is a light duty truck GVWR 4250 which puts it as Light-Duty Trucks (GVWR <6000 lbs. and ETW <= 3750 lbs) or LDT1 class. GM made the 4.8 and 5.3 specifically for the GVWR above 6000 which falls under a different emissions code. In fact if you look at the GVWR of the GMC Envoy, it was rated 5,550 to 6,001 lbs, the 6001 lbs for the version with a 5.3, see the pattern.

Now if you want, you can go with an LS1 engine 1998-2002 Firebird and Camaro, that fits the GVWR of your vehicle.

Here is an excel sheet for how they are rated in Cal. This also follows the US truck classification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.