Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help With Emergency/Parking Brake

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  GPER 
#1 ·
I just lifted my CJ-5 by doing a spring over. I got a total of 4 inches and so my emergency/parking brake is not long enough. What do i need to do??? Is there an adjustment somewhere i can adjust or maybe extend the cable?? Im stuck and cant put on the new brakes until i get this fixed thanks!!!

#4 ·
I'm gonna SOA my cj7 so when I hit this problem can I use cables from a cj-8?

#5 ·
Easy fix... Purchase another passenger side cable an install it on the diverside. Just keep it away from the exhaust pipe. The passenger side you can reroute to fit with the lift.

#8 ·
Yea I have a piece of 4"x4" about a foot long I take with me everywhere. I had the same one for my xj and for my yj then it graduated to my cj. All my buddies give me hell about my "plank"

#11 ·
it might be bluetorch...not sure...but a fab shop like that makes a really trick driveshaft e-brake. really expensive if i can recall but if you have the cash it might be worth it. i get so tired of using a piece of firewood to hold my jeep in the driveway when it needs to warm up on cold mornings.

#13 ·
HickoryNut said:
Hi folks new here and I just happened to see this and I've been pondering the ebrake in my 73. I have none either just the block of wood as well. One guy I know that races suggestd I put a hydraulic lock in it. Anybody got any experience with these.

Matt
This might hold you long enough at a drag race but I would not trust it long enough to get out of the jeep. I believe they put warnings on it about using it that way.

#14 ·
I had trouble with the little "clutch?" that was in my E-brake foot pedal, and it would just pop out on my unexpectedly. I ended up finding out that the pedal from the YJs are a 1-1 swap.

I'd go with a longer cable from a CJ-7 like John Strenk suggested. The adjustment for the cable is under the Jeep in the middle, and you'll change the cables over at that point, tightening the nut on the cable until it's at the right tension (not sure what torque-anybody else know?) The routing of the new cable will be pretty much the same as with the old one that way, except for possibly allowing for extra length, since the CJ-7 has close to a foot longer wheel base. Let me know how it works out!

#15 ·
Stretch67 said:
Like the guy in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy"...

Friggin' hilarious. :rofl:
I love that movie, but anyway mine wouldn't reach when I put the Matkin's frame under it. One of the many problems I had, but I used a piece of all thread with some little cable clamps. Not like it is going to work for very long anyway.
:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.