help determining condition of 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > help determining condition of 258

Awesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
jeepdog571
1983 CJ7 

help determining condition of 258

While i have my engine out im going to paint it. I removed to manifolds and while looking at the intake valves i noticed they have alot of carbon build up. According to the po it is a remanufactured engine with about 26000 miles on it. I wonder if its not and its the original engine. Is this carbon normal? Should i remove the head and take it to a machine shop to clean it up. Everything looks pretty clean under the valve cover. Also it ran great before i removed it. What should i look for when i remove the oil pan as far as excessive wear? I just want to make sure its good to go before i start painting it. Thanks

20150303_142431.jpg   20150303_142356.jpg  
jeepdog571 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

Well, you probably should have taken a compression test before you pulled it. I guess you could do a leak down test now that it's out. I don't see anything in the pics that require pulling the head. I wouldn't pull the pan either unless it's leaking. You're not gonna be able to "look" at anything in there. How was the oil pressure? How did the plugs look?
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
macscal
1978 CJ5 

If it ran great, go with it.

Your pics don't show me (in my limited kknowledge) to be concerned about

Sent from my VS840 4G using JeepForum
macscal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Put the valve cover back on, buddy. That's a pretty fresh engine. The occasional bottle of fuel injector cleaner might not hurt but I see nothing there to be remotely concerned about.

Shawn
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm certainly no expert, but the carbon buildup doesn't look excessive compared to what I've seen.

While you have the valve cover off, and if you have a dial indicator, you could check a few things before going any deeper, including:

1. Valve stem/guide clearance
2. Cam Lobe lift
3. Valve timing

Of course, a compression and/or leak down test would have given you a good indication of wear on the engine. Again, this would not require any further disassembly.

How did she run before you pulled it? Burn any oil? How was the power? Any noises or strange performance?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
jeepdog571
1983 CJ7 

When i first got it she was an oily mess but ran fine. I cleaned it up fixed the leaks and rebuilt the carb and it ran even better. I do not know if it burned any oil because i only drove it around a few times before i took it apart. I never heard it knock and never saw any smoke. That was 2 years ago. I started off just wanting to fix some rust and drive it. Now its turned into a full project. I couldnt stop taking it apart. Im sure you guys know what i mean. Well since ive taking this off i might as well replace this and while this is off i might as well take this off to and replace that. And it just kept going. I guess i should check into the leak down test . Here is another pic. It has a nice chunk on it. Im just itching to clean it.
20150303_142307.jpg  
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Welcome to the CJ rabbit's hole.

We've all stepped into it at some point.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

If the starter and flywheel are still on the motor, you can cobble together some sort of starting system with a battery, switch and starter relay. Then do a compression test.
Unread 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Welcome to the CJ rabbit's hole.

We've all stepped into it at some point.

Matt
Yup after you pull the head to clean it up your gonna start thinking it might not be a bad time for new bearings after all your so close, and those rings are right there.......... and on.....and on.......... and on..........................
Unread 03-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
hunter1
1979 CJ5 

Allow me to give you a benchmark... the way mine looked when I first got it.
screenshot_2015-03-03-18-45-05.jpg  
Unread 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
jeepdog571
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Yup after you pull the head to clean it up your gonna start thinking it might not be a bad time for new bearings after all your so close, and those rings are right there.......... and on.....and on.......... and on..........................
The only thing stopping me now is my wife.
Unread 03-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
jeepdog571
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
Allow me to give you a benchmark... the way mine looked when I first got it.
Wow thats pretty dirty. I guess I have it alot better than I thought. Thanks for the pic.
Unread 03-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Blutarsky

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdog571
Wow thats pretty dirty. I guess I have it alot better than I thought. Thanks for the pic.
I'm no expert. If you look at page 3 of my project 2 thread I have a photo or two of doing a compression test on my 258. I had someone with skill and knowledge helping me. It wasn't difficult.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #14
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I would do a leak down test and that can be done the way the engine sits now.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.