Help with CJ7 Resto - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help with CJ7 Resto

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-22-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
2000XPSD

Help with CJ7 Resto

new member here with some cj7 resto questions.
first off, i am not nor have never been a "jeep" guy, they just never have really done anything for me. So why am i restoring a jeep you ask....well my friend bought a 85 c7 with a 350/4spd and realized it was going to be too much for him to restore it so he gave it to me. I took on the project on for one it was free and two it had a SB already in it so I couldn't resist the lure of building a sick SB for such a small vehicle. Plus Iíve been going to the beach in my friends jeep and they are kind of fun so it would be cool to have one to kick around in at the beach. I will not be off roadín this jeep except for the beach which is pretty much just sand...no rocks.
Anyways....Iíve restored a few chevelles and what not so I already know the basics of doing a frame off restoration. So far I've got her down to the frame with axles still in. It's going out to be sandblasted soon but from what I can see now the frame looks pretty solid. Question 1- Do jeep frames need to be strengthened up in any spots for V8 conversions? It looks like it's pretty strong but now is the time to do it if it needs it. The drive shaft really worries me...it looks like one good burnout will twist it right up. Question 2 - who makes good drive shafts and ujoints that will take a beating of a V8.
After I get a roller i then have the whole issue of replacing the body because the original one is shot to hell. From what I've read steel sounds like the way to go because it looks like there are less headaches. I have no problems with fglass and someone can recommend a real good fglass body I'll look into it. But as far as steel who makes a good one...there are so many out there and i'm sick of reading how everyone says theirs is better that the other guys...blah blah blah.
And the last question, who is a real good vendor to buy parts from. I'd like to find one that sells everything from the ground up....bolt kits,wiring harness,all the little things that suck to chase around. I have a Quadratec catalog and it seems pretty good...but i was wondering if there was better, more complete vendors out there
thanks for any help

2000XPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
liver156

frame is good for a 350. 4wd.com is the vendor i would choose if you want everything from one place. better selection and cheaper shipping than quadratec.
more to come when wife says so!!
liver156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000XPSD
..there are so many out there and i'm sick of reading how everyone says theirs is better that the other guys...blah blah blah.
You really dont find that here. Everyone is pretty supportive of eachother, from cb4158's frame off project and Besrk's Monster to my scary ghetto rigged piece.... You'll probably be able to find any info you could possibly be looking for here.

As far as stores, don't for get about eBay, Tellico, JC Whitney, and your local parts stores (advanced, autozone, pep boys= no shipping). Good luck and keep us posted on your project. Pics, man!
Unread 08-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #4
cjbilt4me

As far as the frame goes check the steering box area for cracks.Since there is a SB in there I would also check the motor mounts and the frame in that area.As far as driveshafts there might be some good local shops or Tom Woods or High Angle Driveline.4 Wheel Drive Hardware has a pretty complete cat. and of course the internet if your looking for parts.Spicer is a good name brand of u-joint.
Unread 08-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

The frame will handle a 350, but if you want some insurance, MORE sells some frame plates for beefing it up. I have their front set on my Scrambler along with a custom made set on the rear (see pics below). I would definitely recommend a heavy duty steering box mount (MORE, Ruff Stuff, Sam's, Big Daddy), steering box brace (Currie, MORE, Warrior), and upgraded steering shaft (Borgeson, Flaming River). If you want to upgrade the steering box & pump, I'd go PSC (AGR's quality slipped after the owner sold it, he then started PSC). Assuming it still has the stock Dana 30/AMC 20 axle combo, I'd install a good set of 1-piece axles (Moser, Summer Bros) in the AMC 20 rear or consider an axle swap before you start spending money on the stockers. You'll need to ID that tranny...the stockers used in the 80's (other than the T-176/177) aren't up to V8 power and the T-176/177 would only be up to a stock or mildly built V8. Should have a Dana 300 t-case unless it was swapped out too which is plenty strong. There are HD shaft upgrades for it if you *do* manage to grenade it with a heavy right foot. Body-wise, YJ tub swaps have become very popular. I was among the first to do this about 8-9 years ago and start spreading the 'gospel'...there's plenty of info on it if you search here, other Jeep forums, and the web. 4WD Hardware is about the best place for one-stop shopping...they carry most of the upgraded parts I mentioned. You *can* beat some of their pricing if you shop around. I also use Ebay a fair amount if I'm not in a hurry. Good luck and keep us posted, ask questions, post pics of your progress.

Last edited by jeepskate; 08-23-2005 at 01:04 PM..
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
2000XPSD

thanks for the input everyone
checked out 4wd.com and it appears to be what i was looking for as far as a vendor, i ordered a catalog so i should be good to go.

i'll build up the steerbox mount as mentioned...easy enough to do. I won't be rock crawling or putting huge tires on it(probably 31"s) so my steering box won't taking that much of a pounding...but better safe than sorry. I'll check out PSC...I just put a AGR box and pump on my buddies jeep a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with the quality. i can't imagine PSC being any better but I'll take your word, you guys know better than me.

I don't know what I have for driveline parts. The t-case has a Dana logo on it but I don't know which model. The tranny I have no idea because I can't read the tag. I have some pics and I'll try to post them below...maybe someone can ID them. If someone could also ID my VIN maybe a can get somemore info on her too: 1JCCF87E8ET0*****

As far as getting a used tub I don't think it would be worth my while. I'm in MA and everything around here is garbage. To get one form the south will cost a bundle in shipping then you still don't know what you getting on top if it. I think a new steel would be the best...from which vendor is the problem. I'll check ebay though and see what's out there for used junk.

Let me know if pics don't work

Unread 08-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
liver156

the transfer case is a dana 300, the rear looks like an amc 20. can't help you with the transmission i am an automatic fan and it is all i deal with.

good looking jeep by the way.
more to come when wife says so!!
liver156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a T176 trans.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Everyone 'in the know' has pretty much abandoned AGR and gone to PSC. The older AGR stuff like I have from before the company changed hands is good, but the quality (they all look good from the outside, it's the inside that'll leave you stranded) declined afterwards. Maybe they've since bounced back...see how your buddy's setup holds up.

The YJ tubs are galvanized...I'll bet you can find a decent one if you look. The first guy I know of who did the swap (Rick Boiros) is out in your neck of the woods and he *always* had good tubs on hand so I know they're available out there. New is going to cost you $3k+
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
2000XPSD

I'll see if I can scrape the tag on the tranny a little better to get some numbers off it. If it is a t176 are they any good or worth building up to handle a V8?

jeepskate- I checked out your website briefly...lots of good info on the yj swap. When i get a second I'll have to sit down and read it all and decide if i want to go that route. Doesn't seem/look that bad though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.