Help with CB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help with CB

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #1
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

Help with CB

Hopefully there is a CB expert here that can help out. I have a fiberglass tub in my 83 CJ7 and a metal bumper. I have mounted a Firestik 2 antenna to the bumper and ran the coax to a swr meter then the cb. The cb is a uniden pro505xl.

With this setup I was getting too high of a swr signal to receive anything. So I went with a ngp antenna from firestik and the matching coax.

The swr is better, but is still over 3 and pushing 4. I know very little about cbs and the theory behind them. I had one on my old xj, but it was metal and I had no issues.

I have tried tuning the antenna via the tip on it but I don't get much variance in the numbers. I only need the cb for contact between vehicles on trail rides so I don't need much distance but I need it to work. I haven't had another cb nearby to test, but with the swr so high i think there could be an issue burning out the cb.

Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks. Here is a pic of current setup with ngp antenna.

image-4068586316.jpg

mat8828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #2
CurtG
1984 CJ7 

TRY this it helped me.

1.The first thing you need to do is find a suitable location to park your vehicle. There should be no obstructions, such as trees or buildings, within 10 to 15 meters of your antenna. Neither you nor your buddies should be hanging out around the car, either. Make sure that you’re inside with the doors and windows closed to ensure an accurate reading.

2.The next step is to hook up the SWR meter. First, disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the radio. Reconnect this end of the cable, which is going to the antenna, to the SWR meter in the connector marked “antenna” or “ANT.” Next, use the jumper lead to connect your radio and the SWR meter through the connection marked “transmitter” or “XMIT.”

3.Now you are ready to measure the SWR on a few different channels. Remember, throughout this process it's important to keep the microphone the same distance from the meter for each test.

4. Set the switch on the SWR meter to “FWD.”

5.Turn the radio to channel 1.

6.Key the microphone (depress the button and hold it).

7.Turn the knob on the SWR meter labeled “SET” or “ADJUST” until the needle reaches the setting position at the end of its range.

8. While still keying the microphone, flip the switch on the SWR meter to the “REF” or “SWR” position.

9.Quickly record the reading given by your SWR meter and release the transmit key on your microphone.

10.You are now going to repeat this process for channel 40. Follow steps 4 through 9.

The objective behind tuning your antenna is to make these two readings as close as possible. Getting down to a 1.5:1 ratio or below makes for a passable broadcast signal. There are two basic points to understand before adjusting the length of your antenna:
•If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
•If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.
CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #3
CurtG
1984 CJ7 

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/tu...-adjusting-swr

this is the vid for the instructions

Curt
Unread Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #4
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

+2 And make sure you have a good ground for the antenna. I ran a dedicated ground from the base of mine just to be sure.
Unread Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #5
CurtG
1984 CJ7 

Ground is huge for performance of cb
Unread Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #6
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies. I have used that video before. The only thing i didn't do was try it in a clear are. I will try it tomorrow.

As far as the ground goes I am using a ngp antenna (no ground plane). So I think a ground would hamper the performance.
Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have a fibreglass body and use a mirror mount antenna, never tuned. Had a friend put a swr meter on and he said I was good. I get excellent coverage. From Toronto Canada to Martha's vineyard, 2 way on many occaisions From one place in central ontario, I pick up British Columbia's sunshine coast one way only, but consistent. No issues on the trails, I can grab anyone around.

One thing to watch for is the cable routing. If it is too long, don't coil it up, stuff it all mixed up in a corner or under a seat. If you coil it, the RF will multiply like crazy. Don't run it near any vehicle wiring, especially the computer wiring. Auto computers talk digital close to the same frequency to the point of a CB taking out anti lock brakes and digital dashes. Have seen this happen on more modern vehicles.

A CB transmitter needs minimum 10 ga wire for power and ground, both fused, again routed well away from the vehicles wiring. On the other side from the wiring harness out to the front corner of the vehicle and if needed across the front of the rad and then back to the battery. If you put a transmitter in a modern GM ( since 1990) for instance with less than 10 ga power lines routed correctly, you will void the vehicle warranty. Smaller wires pick up or give off RF. I used to service a fleet of delivery vehicles, all transmitter equipped and have the GM and others specs on that.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #8
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Mike. Did you use a regular antenna or a ngp variety?
Unread Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Mount it higher, like side mirror location. You can coil coax, HOWEVER, the coil must be more than 12" in diameter (general guidline). I do it all the time in aircraft, it's the only accepted way to stow excess coax and it's always done out near the antenna. Has zero effect on RF inside coax.

If you wind a coax cable into a coil you produce some inductance on the "OUTSIDE" of that coax. That inductance slows or stops electrical signals from flowing on the 'outside' of that cable. Which is good, and the whole idea of an RF choke. It chokes off that stuff on the outside of the cable. It has no affect on what's inside that cable unless that coil physically distorts the cable. If coiled too tight the physical dimensions within the cable will change causing the impedance to change.

Use a meter and ensure the coax shielding is not shorted to the center conductor. The coax shielding on an ngp antenna is your ground plane. Make sure the center conductor is not broken and has continuity from end to end. Ensure a good solid connection on both ends of the coax.

Also confirm they sent you the correct coax for a ngp antenna. Maybe they made a mistake. The coax's would be different between gp and ngp antenna's.

Opinions are like Azzholes, everyone's got one and we all think our own doesn't stink
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.