help carb prob!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
peppermathews
1972 CJ5 

help carb prob!!

ok so i'm new to the forum here it goes jeep ran alright but carb would crap out sometimes. so i baught a new 470 truck avenger and intake got it on, and put it back in time adjusted the carb with a vacuum gauge got it pulling about 19 on the gauge and it idles great and runs great if i slowly ease into the throttle but when i slam it full throttle about 1500rpm it sputters. so i took it for a drive just to see, and when i get on it from 1500 to 1800 it just spits and sputters. when i get past that point it opens up and rips. so i took it back to the garage and did a full tune up new plugs wires, cap, and rotor which is hei. and still does the same thing pulled my vacuum advance off and plugged the port to carb thinking maybe it was advancing it to much and it does the exact same thing. dont matter how i adjust the timing or the carb it still does it. im lost

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
loki1970
1977 CJ5 

sounds like an accellerator pump problem to me. Either the pump is not working, or it's just not squirting enough juice into the carb. To check this; pull off your air cleaner and quickly open the throttle. If you see a squirt of gas into the venturi, then the pump is fine and you might need to look somewhere else. If no gas squirts in, you have a bad accellerator pump and need to replace it.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 AM
bobby4361y

Mine did that and I found that there was a delay in actuating the accel pump. Prob was the adjustment for the accel pump. The linkage didn't move the pump till the linkage moved 1/4 inch. I adjusted it to zero play. No more spitting at 1500rpm. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
post #4 of 4 Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
iluvjeeps
1966 CJ5 

Could be your jet size to big of jets will cause similar problems mine has the same thing right now and I'm planning on putting smaller jets in it to see if that will fix it I've talked to a bunch of people and that's what they recommend doing next my accelerator pump is good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.