Help buying a CJ-5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help buying a CJ-5?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-28-2002, 07:23 AM   #1
Richard

Help buying a CJ-5?

I went and looked at a 73 CJ5 with 10K on a rebuilt 258 and 5k on a rebuilt 3 speed tranny. It has a brand new paint job and the body is almost perfect. Its got a four inch lift and 33 inch all terrains. I am suppose to go pick it up today for $3600, is that a good deal? What do yall think?

Unread 05-29-2002, 02:03 AM   #2
Hippo393

Richard--you've already got a couple of Jeeps. What do you need another money pit for?

Did you test drive it? Why is the owner selling? Is the body fiberglass or rustAHEM I mean, steel? Has the price been negotiatied down to $3,6 or is that the asking price? Always calculate the estimated cost of repairs and deduct it from the asking price. Especially an old CJ like a '73--something will go soon. Without having test-driven it, I'd offer $2500 and top out at $2700. You need to know much more about it. But don't despair because Jeep shopping is soooooo fun! Let us know what else you find out about it. Oh yeah, have a mechanic-buddy go with you on the test drive. Buy him/her a beer if they go--it'll be worth it!
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:47 AM   #3
Richard

Its a steel body and does have some rust in it but it has bondo over it and you cant tell it, plus its got a new carb, inline 6, and a new tranny so i think it will hold up pretty good. 4200 was the asking price i talked him down to 3600.
Unread 05-29-2002, 08:48 AM   #4
Richard

One more thing, it also has a brand new steering system, so what would be things to look at that could be wrong w/ it?

Thanks, Richard
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Hippo393

Power steering? How does it drive? Look for things like uneven tire wear, pull to one side, etc. Also, since it's steel body, you must get low and look closely under the Jeep for damage, oil leaks, etc. Inspect for rust on frame and body mounts particularly. Take a key and poke up on the floorboards to test for integrity. If the owner won't let you do that, they can keep the Jeep. Bondo actually attracts moisture and makes rust worse!

Figure to put about $1500 of mod's into it, including rust repair and deduct it from the asking price. $4200 - $1500 = $2700. There ya go!
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.