Help! Battery tipped over yesterday, discovered today :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help! Battery tipped over yesterday, discovered today :(

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
dobber_spe
1981 CJ5 

Help! Battery tipped over yesterday, discovered today :(

I went out to my garage today and popped the hood. Unfortunately, my new battery flipped over yesterday when wheeling. Of course it leaked quite a bit overnight. Mostly it leaked through to the cardboard on the floor, but did manage to soak the left front springs. I took off the neg. lead immediately and cleaned up a bit with a shop rag. Should I be concerned about anything else and is the battery shot now or can I just add some distilled water?
Thanks!

Unread 09-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
a2tripp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i think its a hydrometer you want to check your battery with, here we can take it to napa and they will check it and they will put the proper acid/water, pretty cheap too.

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #085[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
a2tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
dobber_spe
1981 CJ5 

sounds good, I am sure autozone where I bought can check it. Thanks!
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
frankush
2002 WJ 

Make up a solution of baking soda and water in a large bucket. Use this to rinse off anywhere the battery acid may have gotten into, when it spilled. It will neutralize the acid. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse with a hose. Battery hold downs are installed so this doesn't happen.
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
dobber_spe
1981 CJ5 

Fankush, thanks for the info. The battery was secured in tray, but no tie-downs in my old CJ. Trust me, I learned my lesson, it'll be bungeed in until I find a better solution!
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
frankush
2002 WJ 

Every auto parts store has those universal battery hold down kits and the best part is they're cheap!
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.