HELP!-Back lights/brake lights don't work! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HELP!-Back lights/brake lights don't work!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Rocket6R
1981 CJ7 

HELP!-Back lights/brake lights don't work!

1981 Jeep CJ7 (258)

I noticed a couple of days ago that the driver side rear light/brake light no longer works. The passenger rear worked just fine. I decided to try and repair the driver side rear light today.

I tested that three wires that go into the driver side rear and none of them are showing voltage. I then decided to test the passenger side rear just to get a general reading. However, when I tested the passenger rear I accidentally touched one of the wires to the body of the sock (ground assuming). I then saw some sparks. I then tested it again and now have no voltage readings on that passenger side either. I assumed that I blew the main fuse. I checked the fuse box, not sure which fuse to even check, and all the fuses looked good.

I count on my Jeep to drive to work a couple times a week. This is a really sucks!

Any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Rocket6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Tail lights 20Amp. Most tail lights are grounded through a metal screw that attaches to a metal plate in the tail light housing. I would check the grounds first after the fuses. The wiring harness for the lamps goes down the inside tub to the driver side lights first and then pigtails to the passenger side. If you had power to the passenger side then you had power to the drivers side but probably not grounded. Unless your wires pulled apart from the connection at the light itself.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
fish1erp
1982 CJ8 

Check the plugs up under the wheelhouses. They get corroded. Fuse is easy to spot on the fuse box.

Unread 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Rocket6R
1981 CJ7 

Hot Damn!

I did not check the "park-tail" fuse when I looked at some of the fuses before. Actually, I didn't see the writing on the fuse box when I looked the first time. The fuse that was in there was burned out from me testing the passenger side rear lights. So, I put a new 20 amp fuse in and BINGO. The passenger side now worked, but the driver side was still out. I then opened up the rear light mounting box for the lights and inspected the wiring. The PO had replaced the connections some time ago and only crimped the wires together. I gently pulled on the wires and one came apart and the other felt loose. So, I went down to Pep Boys and bought a new connection. I then soldered the wires together and tried it out. PERFECTION! The rear light/brake lights now works.

All of my light work now for the exception of the driver side front turn signal. That will be my next project.

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys. Both of the responses really helped. I should have paid more attention to the fuse box the first time.

Thanks again, Paul
Rocket6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
fish1erp
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket6R View Post

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys. Both of the responses really helped. I should have paid more attention to the fuse box the first time.

Thanks again, Paul
Hey man no prob. Where would we all be without this forum and technical problems?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.