Help! AX15 seems to be stuck in 4th - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help! AX15 seems to be stuck in 4th

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Help! AX15 seems to be stuck in 4th

I just put my AX-15 back together and all appeared good. Followed the book, no parts missing or extra, pics together match pics before etc. Anyhow, it turns in 4th and neutral but in any other gear it is stuck like it is in 4th + whatever gear. I took pics before I put the case on and it sure appears that the 3-4 selector is in neutral but it is not behaving that way. Any ideas?

RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you might have the syncro for 4th out of alignment. Specifically, the 3 hub key cutouts.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I pulled it apart before the RTV dried and the 4th synchro was jammed on. I pried it off with a screwdriver and now it works fine. Put it together with no RTV and it works fine. I made sure all of the synchros engaged the keys properly. Something apparently jammed it on. The thing that really concerns me is the reason I am rebuilding this transmission is the 3-4 keys were broken. This seems like just the sort of problem that would break the keys. Is there something wrong with the pilot shaft or is this just a coincidence?
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 4th gear syncros get jammed onto the input shaft before myself. It hasn't happened to me since I started loading the syncros grease while installing them.

As for the original condition regarding the broken 3-4 keys, I've never seen that before. Were they all broken? Was the hub shift sleeve on correctly, chamfered edge to the front?

Is the pilot bearing present/correct?

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I've had 4th gear syncros get jammed onto the input shaft before myself. It hasn't happened to me since I started loading the syncros grease while installing them.

As for the original condition regarding the broken 3-4 keys, I've never seen that before. Were they all broken? Was the hub shift sleeve on correctly, chamfered edge to the front?

Is the pilot bearing present/correct?

Max
Yes, all 3 were broken and both 3 and 4 synchros toast. Also front and rear sealed bearings had bubbled plastic other than that no damage that I saw. It appeared to be the factory build. I cannot comment on the pilot bearing, I bought if from a guy on CL already out. The synchros were all completely worn out so that they were bottoming out on the ramp.
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The bubbling sealed bearing condition is typical.

Syncros in the AX-5 & AX-15 transmissions most commonly wear on the backside, where the keys engage, rather than on the cone side. This seems unusual.

I've never seen the keys broken, ever. I would really have liked to been in on the teardown & rebuild for this one.

Ensure that you have the correct pilot bearing installed, early AX-15 transmissions use a smaller 0.590" pilot tip, while later models use a 0.750" pilot tip dimension.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
The bubbling sealed bearing condition is typical.

Syncros in the AX-5 & AX-15 transmissions most commonly wear on the backside, where the keys engage, rather than on the cone side. This seems unusual.

I've never seen the keys broken, ever. I would really have liked to been in on the teardown & rebuild for this one.

Ensure that you have the correct pilot bearing installed, early AX-15 transmissions use a smaller 0.590" pilot tip, while later models use a 0.750" pilot tip dimension.

Max
I took quite a few pictures of it as I took it apart and still have all the pieces including the broken keys. PM an e-mail and I will send them to you. Too big for me to put all of them on here.

There was some light varnish on the synchro ramps of the gears, I cleaned it off with red scotchbrite.
ax15-before.jpg  
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Here are some shots of the old synchros. You can see they had all worn to the point that their backs were touching. 3 and 4 are chewed up as well.
old-synchros-1-.jpg   old-synchros.jpg  
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

The new synchros for 3 and 4 are different, ramped on one edge and straight on the other. Have you seen this before?
new-synchro.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I was shifting it with the case off and got 3rd synchro jammed the same way. That is a bit concerning. I hope once it is bathed in oil it does not have that problem. It is all together now. Goes through all the gears and N but 5th is a bit of a pain to go in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.