Help!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help!!!!!!!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-05-2002, 09:16 PM   #1
kyp

Help!!!!!!!

I know all you gear heads have herd this before, but at one time you had to ask this same question yourself. I want to do a complete build up of a 1969 cj 5, I want it to have a bow tie (chevy) 350 90 model or latter with the drive train of the 90 chev 4x4. Where do i get started or is there a company that I can geet all parts that I need for the build? Includeing engine and parts.
I want to add power steering, A/C and power brakes. Its going to have lotts of EYE CANDY and we all love eye candy but im at a stand still. I know I can get the eng. trans. t-case from a wrecked truck, but what next? how do i convert all to power from manual.
Also I wanted to know if it is better for man or auto tranny?
I want this build for mostly rideing with my elder father it has been a life long dream for him that never came true.
Please help if you can. What im trying to say is, is there any place where i can get everything from body to eng. I mean everything for the jeep?
Thanx,
Kyp
KD5TTZ (ham opperator)

Unread 10-06-2002, 02:05 PM   #2
CJ7Danny

Your choice of donor vehicles isn't a problem. The question you need to ask yourself is, do you want to retain the fuel injection system? If yes, then you'll need the computer as well.

Just look around, there are plent of companies out there that offer conversion "kits" for just about any motor swap project.

You've chosen a project that will require a considerable amount of relocation and fabrication, but it will work! You're not the first to do this, and certainly not the last. I would suggest getting a new wiring harness from Painless Wiring. Fitting everything into place is a matter or proper measuring and either buying or having the right parts made for you.

As for the manual vs. auto tranny... your choice man. If you want to do mainly trail riding, I would suggest auto. A well built auto tranny will give you plenty of life, with good power transfer, and not to mention, you'll only the need the two feet your body came with!

Manual vs. power brakes, just find a donor jeep or purchase the parts new. They're available!

My apologies for not being specific, but your project has limits that only the sky set.... Have fun!
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
55-willys

i have something similar to what your doing. i have a 1955 M38-A1 with a balanced 350, saginaw 4 speed and warn overdrive. the biggest headache will be the steering box. youll be better off if you go ahead and put power steering in it when you do the engine swap. and upgrade the brakes, at least the fronts. ive been using my setup for about 10 years now without any problems. the only thing i wish i would of put power steering in it years ago. the power steering is really easy to do. good luck with your project.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.