Hello Jeepers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hello Jeepers

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyans33 View Post
axles are MUCH easier to swap than a tranny so if i were you i would get one with a good tranny like the t176 and narrows and swap in a set of wides.
I will respectful disagree with this point, I can swap a tranny in a matter of hours, if a complete unit was sitting there maybe as quick as an hour. My 17 yo thanks to the CJ can probably do it 2-3. Axles take longer in my experience, again maybe if they were sitting there complete and ready it would take 4-6 to do both and then I have to rough set the alignment and take it to the alignment shop. If you have to change over the steering linkage add 20-30 minutes. These times are with air tools a flying. Keep in mind on most Jeeps you don't even have to jack it up to do the tranny, the axles you have to block both the axles and the frame, it all takes time.

Sorry somewhat of topic, but to the point wide tracks are the way to go.

Unread 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Narrow or wide does not really matter as much as getting a vehicle that will not be a bottomless money pit.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I will respectful disagree with this point, I can swap a tranny in a matter of hours, if a complete unit was sitting there maybe as quick as an hour. My 17 yo thanks to the CJ can probably do it 2-3. Axles take longer in my experience, again maybe if they were sitting there complete and ready it would take 4-6 to do both and then I have to rough set the alignment and take it to the alignment shop. If you have to change over the steering linkage add 20-30 minutes. These times are with air tools a flying. Keep in mind on most Jeeps you don't even have to jack it up to do the tranny, the axles you have to block both the axles and the frame, it all takes time.

Sorry somewhat of topic, but to the point wide tracks are the way to go.
i agree that if you have all the parts for either swap and everything is ready to go. but thats not usually the case. also, given the average price of wide tracks and trannies/driveshafts. it will almost always be cheaper to swap narrows for wides than swap a t4 or any other weak tranny of those years to a t176/diff driveshafts for example
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.