Hello Jeepers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hello Jeepers

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
jimnmaine

Hello Jeepers

Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to say hi to all. I do not own a Jeep and haven't as of yet but my wife and I want to get one (looking for a late 70's to early 80's CJ). I can see loads of reading to be done here and lots of talent to ask questions to. My first one would be if there is anything in particular that I should look for or look out for in the years I'm thinking of?
Thanks in advance and look forward to the forum!
Jim

jimnmaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
ideal_trucks
1978 CJ5 

What kind of jeep are you looking for? Off roading or on road riding?
ideal_trucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

How good are you at fixing and maintaining vehicles? Any Jeep of that age will require a modicum of mechanical and electrical knowledge or you will spend a lot of time with the mechanics for small items such as failure to start etc.

Be realistic about how much it will cost to rebuild or fix to make it a decent driving clean machine. If you spend a little bit more on a solid rust free vehicle with reasonable paint that runs well you will have a good basis. Wrecks can absorb many hours and $$$$s.

Also decide what you want. Mods to a Jeep are not cheap and you do not get that money back on resale. However they are also very personal to the owner so you have a choice:

Time warp original (my favourite)
Stock
Modified close to what you want
Modified but a lot you want to change

There are some mods which are desirable but I would not pay anything extra for them. One piece axles on the AMC20, Dana 44 axles, ignition upgrades are just a few.

As to precise model they all have a following but the 4 cylnder models are not highly desired whilst original high spec V8s are. Anything with a different engine is worth less unless very well executed.

Lastly, just enjoy it.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Welcome aboard!! If I were you, I would consider and establish some of the basics:
  • What transmission might you want?(automatic, or manual 3, 4, or 5 speed)
  • Do you need a stronger transmission (for hard offroading) or just a standard duty one?
  • Engine? (inline 4, inline 6, or V8)
  • What kind of top and doors do you require? (Jeep with no top, soft top, hard top, soft doors, steel doors, etc)
  • AC or no AC?
  • How willing are you to put up with a rusty tub? (floor pan and other body areas)
  • Do you require largeer tires or smaller tires?
  • Suspension lift or not? What height?
  • Do you have sufficient knowledge to be your own mechanic, or are you willing to pay someone else to service the CJ?
  • Do you have a budget for repairs in the near term and long term? (consider parts, tools, fluids)
  • Are you willing to live with poor gas mileage?
  • As the previous poster mentioned, what will you be doing with the Jeep? Wheeling it? Daily driver? something else?
  • Or do you have (or need) an alternate vehicle to drive when the CJ isn't running?
  • What color do you want?
  • How long are you willing to wait to find the CJ you really want?
  • Do you want to spend $10K for a CJ in great shape, or $2K for one that needs all kinds of work all around?
  • Understand the common problems with old CJs such as rusty frames, bodies, leaking fluids, carburetor problems, fuel problems, electrical problems, etc, and be prepared to test/check these things when you check out a potential candidate in person. Also be on the lookout for all kinds of hacks and half-a**ed repairs thrust upon an old CJ by all of the previous owners.

You will want to give your own priority to things such as color, top, engine, transmission, etc. You have to balance that against what's available at the time you're ready to buy. For example, you may find the perfect engine, transmission, and color combination but it doesn't come with the top you want, such as a hard top. In that case you have to track down a hard top and have the money left to pay for it.

The more you learn about CJs, you more you'll see that certain years had certain engine and transmission combinations.

Regardless of what you buy, be prepared to keep pumping money into it. You will read this from many, many people, but until you experience it, it's hard to understand.

Jeep = Just empty every pocket

Again, welcome to Jeepforum!
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
jimnmaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal_trucks View Post
What kind of jeep are you looking for? Off roading or on road riding?
Mostly on road with some light offroading, not looking to get a rock crawler,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
How good are you at fixing and maintaining vehicles?
I know my way around a wrench, while not jeeps I have built up 3 old V-dub bugs with the last being a 69 that I built into a baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Welcome aboard!! If I were you, I would consider and establish some of the basics:

The more you learn about CJs, you more you'll see that certain years had certain engine and transmission combinations.

Jeep = Just empty every pocket

Again, welcome to Jeepforum!
Thanks! list saved and appreciated! looking forward to reading more and learning along the way
jimnmaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Galt
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnmaine View Post

I know my way around a wrench, while not jeeps I have built up 3 old V-dub bugs with the last being a 69 that I built into a baja

Member over at Samba possibly? If you wrench bugs you should have no problem with jeeps. Welcome on board. Look out for rust.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Welcome to the fun, a lot of knowledgeable folks on here. As mentioned by Ken, make you a list of what you require in a Jeep, knowing that you will probably have to give up a few. The key is not giving up too many and not the expensive ones. For instance mechanical issues are easy fixes and one at a time can be done in week ends as the budget allows, rust is terminal and takes weeks/months/years to tackle and can be expense. Set the budget as mention and anything you give up needs to come out of the purchase price so the end product maintains some simulance to the budget you intended. When you do make repairs/upgrades plan them ahead and build to the level you want the first time, do the research and don't take any one person's word for anything, regardless how much you trust them (don't ask, I still a little sore about it). I posted my list once but here it is again:

Rust free - this was a deal breaker for many, but we found the right one
Standard trans - check but it was a T-4
Original V8 - settled for a well done 360 swap
Good color - steel blue
35 or larger - 35s
Full roll cage - nope, but had all the bars made before we brought it home, just got to get it assembled
Ready to drive - not exactly see the next line
$4500 - yea right, upped the budget to $6500, paid 5k with a bad trans, $1000 for that fix, now $1000 in a 435

It's been a month or more, so I have forgotten some of it. We drove well over 2500 miles and looked at 20 or so CJ before we purchased this one. Most we illiminated in less than a minute due to rust, regardless how many times I told them it was a deal breaker, they would still let us drive 5 hours for obvious junk. We did in the end get what I believe to be the right one, it was only 6 hours from the house.

Anyway, your list my vary, good luck, don't be in a hurry.
3ne3o83l65t15u55r4b7hfb37623ea0411570-1-.jpg   3n73o83pb5o55y55x6b7h85d9aba38bed1bf3.jpg  
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If mostly highway I suggest you look very hard at any potential purchase as to tyre size and axle gearing.

A stock one will let you cruise all day at 55mph at around 2,400rpm, maximising economy and giving reasonable acceleration. If it has been retyred you need to carefully look at whether this has been fundamentally changed and whether you can live with it.

Up to 31" tyres there is a small penalty on gas mileage but they drive OK and you can use stock suspension. Beyond that and you need to think about what you are using it for.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
ideal_trucks
1978 CJ5 

Also, some have power steering/brakes and some do not. You may want to look for those, especially since you are doing mainly on road driving. They are nice to have.
ideal_trucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I would suggest sticking with '76 and up as they are easier to find parts for. And easier yet are CJ7s vs CJ5s. Don't get me wrong, I love my 5, just saying..... '83 and up have 3" wider axles than '82 and down nice extra bonus for street ability.

My 2 cents.

Oh and welcome to the madness!
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
jimnmaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
'83 and up have 3" wider axles than '82 and down nice extra bonus for street ability.

My 2 cents.

Oh and welcome to the madness!
Thanks, and ALL 2 cents are greatly appreciated, Ive been reading the forum for 2 days and haven't scratched the surface!
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

Welcome. Hope you have a lot of disposable income and an understanding spouse!
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
'83 and up have 3" wider axles than '82 and down nice extra bonus for street ability.
correction, it's 82 and up for wide tracks, 81 and down for narrow.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i would suggest getting one with a good frame, good tub, and the motor you want that runs reliably. that will be a good starting point. dont settle, their are TONS out there even though they are so rare.

the best thing about the 82+ is the wide tracks, bad thing is the weak trannies
82 and older had the good trannies, but had narrow tracks.

axles are MUCH easier to swap than a tranny so if i were you i would get one with a good tranny like the t176 and narrows and swap in a set of wides.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnmaine View Post
Thanks, and ALL 2 cents are greatly appreciated, Ive been reading the forum for 2 days and haven't scratched the surface!
That sounds about right. Don't feel like you need to be in a hurry to get a CJ. The more you learn before you buy, then the greater the chance you'll be happy in the long term after you do buy.

Another factor that you might consider is how road-worthy a CJ you want. In other words, do you want one you can drive home on day 1, or do you want one that's going to require repairs before it can be driven (or before it's safe to drive).

Personally, that was a big consideration for me. I wanted a CJ that I could drive home on day one, and be reasonably sure that I could drive it around town without problems. Of course there are no guarantees

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.