Well I am back after about a year. I tried to log in under my old name but it did not work, new e-mail and all. Anyway life has finally setteled down and I started working on my jeep again. It is an all original 76 cj-7 with 304 v8 and factory air.
I have it stripped down to the frame and I am starting to re assemble the axles etc. I am looking for advice on what to do next and what to avoid as this is my first frame up restoration.
I have many other questions about transmissions etc., I had missed the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Just wanted to say hey, as the project has started anew. I will buy the first couple rounds
Invest in a couple boxes of 1 gallon Zip Loc bags. As you take stuff apart, toss the nuts/bolts into the bags and mark them in detail as to where they go.. don't rely on memory for anything. Same goes with the wiring.. tape all connections so you know where they go.
Might even want to take digital pics of complex assemblies so you have a reference for reassembly.
'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..
I'll double what Besrk said - I have never done a frame off, but I removed and replaced my engine, tranny, driveshafts, all new engine wiring etc. I took a lot of pics, and have used them - I labeled every wire as to what it was connected to. My wife was ready to kill me because I took all the zip lock bags and filled them up with dirty bolts. I researched things to death before I made the decision to start removing parts. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was removing and why!!!
1984 CJ 7, SBC 350TBI, 700R4, D 300, AMC 20, D30, 35" Mickeys, 3.54 Gears, 4" susp. Lift, 2" body lift.
Tin Cans for Manifold bolts and stuff like that work well too. Drop a paper lable in the tin can. "Can" put some gas in there and clean up the bolts and small parts. Reuse the gas and pour into next tin can, cover with cardboard to slow evaporation. I also put a wire wheel on one side of my grinder, the wire wheel is worn out now and needs to be replaced.
Take lots of digital pics, belt routing, wires, soleniod wires, carb linkages and vaccum hoses.
Guys thanks for the welcome back. The zip lock bags are a done deal. Will be doin that today, I prepped the frame last night and will be sealing it this week. Then I plan to go through both axles. First see what I have and then rebuild as needed. Thanks for the help so far.