Hello all I have a CJ question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hello all I have a CJ question

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 02-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Eric 76 cj

Hello all I have a CJ question

Well I am back after about a year. I tried to log in under my old name but it did not work, new e-mail and all. Anyway life has finally setteled down and I started working on my jeep again. It is an all original 76 cj-7 with 304 v8 and factory air.
I have it stripped down to the frame and I am starting to re assemble the axles etc. I am looking for advice on what to do next and what to avoid as this is my first frame up restoration.
I have many other questions about transmissions etc., I had missed the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Just wanted to say hey, as the project has started anew. I will buy the first couple rounds

Eric 76 cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Welcome back!

Invest in a couple boxes of 1 gallon Zip Loc bags. As you take stuff apart, toss the nuts/bolts into the bags and mark them in detail as to where they go.. don't rely on memory for anything. Same goes with the wiring.. tape all connections so you know where they go.

Might even want to take digital pics of complex assemblies so you have a reference for reassembly.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

I'll double what Besrk said - I have never done a frame off, but I removed and replaced my engine, tranny, driveshafts, all new engine wiring etc. I took a lot of pics, and have used them - I labeled every wire as to what it was connected to. My wife was ready to kill me because I took all the zip lock bags and filled them up with dirty bolts. I researched things to death before I made the decision to start removing parts. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was removing and why!!!

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Tin Cans for Manifold bolts and stuff like that work well too. Drop a paper lable in the tin can. "Can" put some gas in there and clean up the bolts and small parts. Reuse the gas and pour into next tin can, cover with cardboard to slow evaporation. I also put a wire wheel on one side of my grinder, the wire wheel is worn out now and needs to be replaced.

Take lots of digital pics, belt routing, wires, soleniod wires, carb linkages and vaccum hoses.

Welcome Back,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

God bless the man that invented Zip-Lock bags (and Sharpies)!!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Eric 76 cj

Guys thanks for the welcome back. The zip lock bags are a done deal. Will be doin that today, I prepped the frame last night and will be sealing it this week. Then I plan to go through both axles. First see what I have and then rebuild as needed. Thanks for the help so far.
Eric 76 cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Don't neglect the INside of the frame! From what I can see in posts from the Salty North and the Salty Coast, the frames will totally rust apart from the INside!

Nice to meet you!

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
CJ367
1980 CJ7 

So, you were lucky enough to have found this site before! For me, it was just today. Seems like a wealth of knowledge available!

Good luck with your build. I hope to start a re-build on mine next year, but for now I'll just drive it as it is...

Mr. HighCountry -
What can you do to protect the INside of the frame? Mine's a box for the most part. Is there a special product that you can spray inside?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.