Hella Air Horn - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Jester03
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hella Air Horn

OK! Let me start by saying I am no electrician. I have tryed several times to install my new horn. I have tryed to hook it up through my column and hook up to my grant sterring wheel. Well, turning left and right winds the wires and snaps them. So then I go for the toggle switch, now I'm blowing fuses everytime I put one in.. Some one gove me some options (other than S**t canning) the whole hella horn. A step by step would be helpful. The instructions come in four languages, and they all seem foriegn to me including english, and the diagrams?? Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing that I need to get the thing inspected soon..... Thanks

The Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle! ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
cdn_xj
I've returned to the fold

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure about how Grant steering wheels are constructed, but when I installed a Momo wheel in to my 16v the horn wires did not go all the way up to the horn button.

At the base of the steering wheel (where it meets the column) is what's called a "contact ring". The contact ring actually consisted of 2 concentric, conductive rings set into a plastic holder.

On the column side two spring loaded contacts would mate to and ride in the rings on the steering wheel. This is what gives you the ability to turn the wheel over several times and maintain electrical continuity without twisting wires.

'99 XJ Sport 4-dr
4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231 - D30, 4.10, Open - ChrysCo 8.25 29-Spline, 4.10, OEM Trac-Loc

Stock with a crapload of bolted on bits
post #3 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
noflacko

1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I put in Kimmy's horn, I blew several fuses...then I noticed where the fuse block (under hood) has the horn relay, it had a 10 amp fuse. The install sheet said use a 20 amp fused line. It still blew the 10 amp in the box under the hood. Then, DUH!, I put in a 20 amp fuse in the fuse block where the relay was. It was clearly labelled HORN and the 20 fit in place of the 10 easily. We have had NO problem now.

SEMPER FI

post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 AM
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Really quite simple. Undo all of the electrical surgery that you've done so far...you're making it harder than it is. Install the horns with a standard 'Bosch' type relay like what you would use for auxiliary lights, and use the existing wire off the back of the factory horn to trigger the relay.

'86 CJ-7 Laredo: 4.2,T-999,D300,D30/D44,'94 YJ tub, full cage, Shrockworks rockers, OYR corners, AC,cruise,restored seats,3 tops,2.5" Superlift,F-T shackle reversal, RS9000x's,35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
'83 Scrambler: time & money pit under construction with parts from CJ's,YJ's,TJ's,FSJ's,GM,Ford,IH,Honda,Toyota and a whole lotta aftermarket & custom stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Bobz007

just wondering how loud are those things?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
noflacko

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobz007
just wondering how loud are those things?
Ours sound like a freakin snack truck...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.