HEI Wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HEI Wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
cjbert
1983 CJ7 

HEI Wiring

83 CJ7, 258. Fresh rebuild just completed and did the cam break in today. I installed a D.U.I. distributor during the rebuild and wired it using the factory red wire with white stripe to the coil to close a relay and draw power for the distributor directly from the battery. Problem is when I shut off the ignition the engine keeps running. I have to interrupt the the relay energize path to shut get it to quit running. Did I screw up the wiring or is it just a junk relay?

cjbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Terminal 30 should be the fused power wire coming from the battery.
Terminal 87 should be going to the distributor.
Terminal 85 should be the red wire that was the ignition wire originally.
Terminal 86 should be the ground wire.

I had mine wired that way. Decided to not use the relay as the DUI only pulled 1.5 amps at idle and 2.7 amps at high rpm under load. The original wire is a 14 AWG, I just took out the resistor part of the wire and it works good. 14AWG will handle up to 15 amps. There was not more than .3 volt drop across the wire, so there is no loss in volts/amps.

Lots of people use the relay, which is fine. I just chose not to.
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
cjbert
1983 CJ7 

About where in the wire is the resistor located?

Thanks
Unread 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

It is right after the firewall connector, and is about 2-3 foot long, its a resistor wire. It would be the wire that originally went to the coil. Look through your loom, and you will see the writing on the wire, kinda pinkish red as I recall and it will say resistor wire on it.
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower77
It is right after the firewall connector, and is about 2-3 foot long, its a resistor wire. It would be the wire that originally went to the coil. Look through your loom, and you will see the writing on the wire, kinda pinkish red as I recall and it will say resistor wire on it.
It should run to the plug for the old ICM. It the plug with the red wire and white wire only.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

You need a $1.50 diode in the 'Excite' wire to the alternator.

Radio Shack p/n 276-1143 if I remember correctly, stripe on diode faces alternator.
The 'Excite' wire is the smaller of the two wires in the two wire plug,
Usually brown or black, and usually "Stiff".

Alternator 'Excite' wire feeds off the Ignition circuit you are using to power up your relay,
When the resistor wire ('Stiff', solid wire at the alternator plug) isn't enough to choke off the positive current your alternator makes/supplies when charging,
The relays stays 'Activated'.

The diode is a 'One Way Valve' for electricity, it allows the alternator to get 'Excite' charge, but keeps the alternator from back feeding the ignition system.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
cjbert
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies. I stripped out the resistor wire this morning and replaced it. Went ahead and removed some of the other useless wires while I was at it. Man that plastic wire loom sure is brittle after 29 years.
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Yeah, mine was brittle as well. I took out the green tach/feedback wire and a couple of others when I did mine. Did you get it running?

GP
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
cjbert
1983 CJ7 

Yes I got it running / shutting off as it should now. Next I have to tackle an overheating problem that I suspect may be a reverse rotation water pump and then the carb decided to develop a leak at the accelerator pump so it'll have to come back off the engine and get repaired.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.