HEI Relay Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HEI Relay Question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
CSP & skizriz: blank slate, would you use a relay here? Or will I be going overboard? How about inline fuse? It didn't have one stock, but WE all want better, no?
I've already mentioned why you use a relay here.

No, it didn't have one stock, but they also didn't come with HEI distributors stock that require 12+v for proper operation.

Maybe your blank state comment isn't assuming HEI, but I'm not sure what you meant by that.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
FamousJerry
2014 JK Wrangler 

i was told a relay is the best way to power a high current item. So i figured i would use one.
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
jksull
1985 CJ7 

I had the same problem.
I would have to look at the diagram to explain where the back feed was from but it had to do with the alternator and the resistance wire. If you don't want to
completely rewire the circuit there are some threads on installing a diod to stop the back feed. The relay coil does not have enough load to drop the voltage low enough for for it to drop out when the key is turned off.
jksull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
FamousJerry
2014 JK Wrangler 

The power is completely gone from the trigger wire when I turn off the key. I still can't figure out why it's not letting go. If I pull the trigger wire it goes off. And if I tap the rely I can her it trigger and I trigger but once it starts it won't release.
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
CSP

Relays can go bad and the contacts stick. New doesn't necessarily mean operational either.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.