HEI no spark - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HEI no spark

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaboy View Post
Great idea. I'll pull it tomorrow when I'm waiting for the camshaft to get here. Half tempted to just pay the money for a DUI and be done with it. From what I read that is just a drop in, with a good gear. Like previous stated I have no history on anything, and the current distributor looks old. I am really hesitant to drop it back in - regardless as if I change the gear (which I think is a given).
The DUI is plug and play, no doubt, but you already have an HEI. I'd just get a good gear and roll with it.
There's no point in going back to a stock unit....you'd have to buy all the parts, undo whatever the previous hacks have done to the wiring, and then tune it and tune it, just to get even with the performance the HEI will give you.
If you didn't have the HEI already, maybe that'd be worth the trouble, but that's not the case.

I agree that it sounds like a case of one of the old hardened gears showing up. Also agree with checking how the gears mesh, since you have it apart.

It'd be interesting to know what brand an HEI that is...Ebay, Summit, 4 Wheel Parts, CRT, etc. And how old that one is, e.g., when it was made.

Sounds like you're on track to get it right, though.

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Javaboy
1983 CJ7 

I had trouble sourcing a reliable gear. And I am on a time frame... Need to drive this jeep to Alaska at the end of the week. So I went ahead and ordered a DUI, with overnight shipping. I'm getting really tiered with the way the PO half assed everything. Makes me wonder what else is going to go wrong. One thing that I did notice was there was no gasket on the distributor. Some reports I read said that might cause the distributor to not seat correctly, but I am not sure how much of a difference that could cause with the gears meshing. I'm going to put it back tomorrow when the parts get in and I'll report back.
Javaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.